Your first shiny Pokemon?

Sir Xero

I'll do some quick math for you.

There is an approximate 0.01225% chance to find a shiny in each random battle you're in. Chaining it gradually reduces it until a 40+ chain the chance is reduced to 1/200, or 0.5% chance.

Assuming you can fight 200 random battles in an hour (one battle every 18 seconds), the theoretical probability of you finding a shiny is increased to 2.5% chance of finding a shiny in that hour.

Lets assume you were looking for two shinies in a single hour. Assuming its a perfect split in that you get a shiny at attempt 100 and 200, you would have to use the math 100/8162 squared. This is a 0.15% chance that you would find two shinies in an hour assuming you fight 200 random battles.

Yes that math is off, I think, but I'm really tired so dont blame me =(

Your math is actually pretty accurate ( but not right as you said yourself)

I guess i had about those battles in a hour or so to get my shiny Sableye and Mewtwo.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blah, I'm convinced shinies don't exist! (obvious envy...)

xD XD xD:P:p

my first shiny, my geoguy is still a geodude. i really don't want it to evolve. As with my staravia, it's still UT :P both of them now occupy an exclusive PC box which I labeled as "goldchst" :kikkoman:

'though i have already two shinies, i'm still hopeful to find more :confused:

The first shiny I encountered (i think as I may have encounted one earlier and just not noticed) was a rhydon but it was in the darn safari zone and the bugger fled - soooo frustrating. The next was a shiny oddish and luckily I caught her - she is now a gorgeous Bellosom. Both were in GBA games The next - and last :( was in diamond and it was a shiny eevee in the trophy garden. I screamed and started freaking out as eevee and it's evo's are my fave pokemon. Then I froze, i was so scared something bad would happen, luckily I had a poke with false swipe in my party. I eventually caught him. I have not touched him and he is safetly sitting in my box and is very treasured. I always have a poke with False swipe now as i never want to be in the situation of acidently killling a shiny or other good poke. My fave poke catcher is a Breloom with spore and false swipe - He has served me very well.

I have resetted many times trying to get shiny starters or in game event poke - but to no avail. I usually give up after 5 hours. I have also spent many frustrating hours resetting to try and get good IV's, but this is pretty hit and miss at the lower levels and I just go on which have slightly better looking stats and natures. I also generally reset untill I get a decent Trainer ID at the start. Unfortunantly I was so keen to start Diamond when I got it that i didn't bother - now I wish I had. I recently started Platinum and after over 3 hours of restting (while watching TV) got the ID 00800 so I kept it. The hard thing about doing it is that kinda good numbers would come up and it would be like do i keep it or try again and risk not getting anything any better and losing the ok one :(.

My first shiny caught on diamond was geodude. I actually had given up on shiny hunting as wasn't even trying to find one when I did. I almost killed it not thinking with torterra before I looked at it again.

Actually, one of my biggest gripes with Shiny Pokemon is that frequently the original color scheme is better than the shiny one. I mean, the little sparkle when they come out is nice, but a lot of Pokemon don't look as good in their Shiny colors as they do normally. Of course, there are some awesome shiny Pokemon (Umbreon, Rayquaza, Mew...), but on the whole, the original colors are as good as they get.

Actually, one of my biggest gripes with Shiny Pokemon is that frequently the original color scheme is better than the shiny one. I mean, the little sparkle when they come out is nice, but a lot of Pokemon don't look as good in their Shiny colors as they do normally. Of course, there are some awesome shiny Pokemon (Umbreon, Rayquaza, Mew...), but on the whole, the original colors are as good as they get.

Indeed. I'll agree with you there. I'm having a HUGE problem with the shiny Misdreavus and most shinies tend to be ugly for me. I don't know what's with everyone and black Rayquaza though... I prefer the original one.

I personally do not like my shining mewtwo's green color. It should be silver like in the TCG's shining mewtwo card.

Green's okay, but not too great. I expected blue or something. In Smash Bros Melee, Mewtwo had four colors: his original purple, shiny green, blue and red. They all looked pretty cool.

GSC Pokes had interesting shinies... but shinies were later revamped in R/S to make them look more realistic. GSC had limited color palettes too, and that Mewtwo is still slightly green hued if you know what I mean.

Oh yeah, shiny Tyranitar is GOLD (stop with these GOLD Pokemon Gamefreak!!)

GSC Pokes had interesting shinies... but shinies were later revamped in R/S to make them look more realistic. GSC had limited color palettes too, and that Mewtwo is still slightly green hued if you know what I mean.

Oh yeah, shiny Tyranitar is GOLD (stop with these GOLD Pokemon Gamefreak!!)

I know it is a little green but it is silver.a little weired thing i discovered in crystal the other day means i can see weired coloured pokes.name one and ill get a weired colour:D

My first one was Gyarados in Silver lol xD;;

but my first in wild was a shiny seal in silver. I almost missed it. my second was a shiny electrike in ruby. my third was a shiny rayquaza in ruby. I nearly had a heart attack at that one @.@ fourth was a shiny beldum in diamond, didnt catch it though, truly didnt want it :/ and lastly is a shiny Shinx in platinum. another one i nearly had a heart attack over. Luxray is my favorite electric.

Indeed. I'll agree with you there. I'm having a HUGE problem with the shiny Misdreavus and most shinies tend to be ugly for me. I don't know what's with everyone and black Rayquaza though... I prefer the original one.

Yeah, I prefer the original Rayquaza as well, but I know a lot of people like the way the black one looks, so I mentioned it.

Mew and Umbreon are the only shinies I like more than the originals. Too many of the shiny color schemes aren't coordinated properly. There are a lot of overused color trends as well. Although some of my favorite shinies are the blue Ice Pokemon, since they are just a lighter version of the originals [sprite]378[/sprite][shinysprite]378[/shinysprite][sprite]471[/sprite][shinysprite]471[/shinysprite][sprite]144[/sprite][shinysprite]144[/shinysprite]. They are the one group that didn't get changed drastically to the point that they look terrible.

There is one other Pokemon with an alternate color scheme that's better than the original one: Lugia. Shadow Lugia is still one of the most awesome looking Pokemon in the game. Pity I can't trade it off xD.