Gen 1 2 3 Pokemon Editor and Converter for Windows + Mac OS X

Metropolis

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been wondering... If you're writing the code in Java, why do you have separate versions for Linux x86 and x86_64? I haven't taken a look, but this strikes me as odd.

Great question! The reason is man-in-the-middle code I'm using to get the scrollbars and text boxes etc working nice. It's called the Java SWT and means you only have to write the code once and it will run the same on all OSs. In theory at least, there can be hiccups. Got Windows running in virtual box so will have it up and working again soon.

Last issue I had was case-sensitivity of filenames, .sav and .SAV are handled the same on some OS, others think they're different files and crash. Anyway the OS branching is the SWT branch not mine.

First result is a popup saying I need Java 1.5.0, which is expected.

Then with Java installed, yes you guys were right not a thing!

Trying through command line now, fingers crossed it's a quick fix.

Uploading a new build of the 64-bit editor...

... which failed due to Windows being 32-bit. I've put a check in so it tells you to download the other version rather than just crashing, but frustrating.

Fixed - Version 4.1

Images and database now back inside of the executable. It made much less difference to the file size than I'd expected.

Edited by Metropolis

Great! Ribbon icons are missing, but sick of rebuilding the code so can wait until the next update.

As ever feedback much appreciated.

Windows 8.1 x64 here, it keeps saying I need Java 1.5 even though I got the most recent version.

I'm using 8.1 x64 too and it works flawlessly for me. Check if you have the 64-bit version of Java installed

You were right, for some reason Java did install the x86 version for me. I manually dug up the x64 version and now it's working.

You were right, for some reason Java did install the x86 version for me. I manually dug up the x64 version and now it's working.

I encountered the same problems, turns out Oracle likes to shove the x86 down your throat...

Fixed, still have to test it, but seems nice! (That Kyogre with calm mind seems to run, though)

Well I've decided to try out this editor and it seems like you've done some good work on it, I appreciate it.

I have some questions though. But before that, I'm using 64-bit Linux, with the openjdk-7-jre software in place of Oracle's JRE. As you can see here, I am using the version made to be compatible with stuff made for Java 7u75. More info on openjdk can be found here.

Now, first of all, I notice that the program says it is version 3.4. Is it supposed to be that way? Not that it really matters. Given the presence of the password field, it seems that I can safely say I am using version 4.1. On the other hand, I believe you said this:

"Images and database now back inside of the executable. It made much less difference to the file size than I'd expected."

And at least for the images, that does not seem to be the case for me. I had to download the images archive and extract them to an "images" folder in the same directory as the PokemonEditorGen1To3Linux64.jar file, for it to have images. That still isn't a big deal though, it just makes me curious.

Anyway, moving on. There are two significant problems that I have encountered thus far.

The first is that, while it shows the pokemon in box 1 and the items in the bag just fine, it won't show any other item category pages (such as the ball category), and it won't show any boxes other than the first one. Additionally, it won't show my party members. Now, the interesting thing about this problem is that when I used a version of the program that was probably the one just before 3.4, I am fairly sure that it didn't happen. Here are some screenshots of the problem:

Bag

Ball

Box 1

Box 2

Party

As for the second problem, the pokemon editor window is a little bunched up... I'm not too sure how to describe it very well, so here is a screenshot.

For this problem, I don't remember whether it was like this in past versions or not, unfortunately. On the other hand, if I were able to increase the height of the window more, this problem would likely go away. I would do that, but this screen is 1366x768...

Of course, these concerns are kind of pointless if you do not have any plans to support openjdk. And you obviously do not have to if you don't want; I'm not trying to force that on you. I personally value the idea of "free and open source software (FOSS)" and that's why it would be convenient for me if you did support it.

Thanks duckonion!

Linux 64-bit was completely untested, so great to have you on board.

In fact, I think you may well have a broken version, since I didn't think anyone was using the Linux build I neglected to upgrade it.

I'll put my comments in bold below.

Well I've decided to try out this editor and it seems like you've done some good work on it, I appreciate it.

I have some questions though. But before that, I'm using 64-bit Linux, with the openjdk-7-jre software in place of Oracle's JRE. As you can see here, I am using the version made to be compatible with stuff made for Java 7u75. More info on openjdk can be found here.

I'm familiar with openjdk-7-jre, but not used it for development. It's not formally supported but I'll try my best to get it working on openjdk-7-jre.

Now, first of all, I notice that the program says it is version 3.4. Is it supposed to be that way? Not that it really matters. Given the presence of the password field, it seems that I can safely say I am using version 4.1.

Yes, your reasoning is right, I forgot to update the version String. You have 4.1

On the other hand, I believe you said this:

"Images and database now back inside of the executable. It made much less difference to the file size than I'd expected."

And at least for the images, that does not seem to be the case for me. I had to download the images archive and extract them to an "images" folder in the same directory as the PokemonEditorGen1To3Linux64.jar file, for it to have images. That still isn't a big deal though, it just makes me curious.

The comment refers only to the Windows and Mac versions (see above).

Anyway, moving on. There are two significant problems that I have encountered thus far.

The first is that, while it shows the pokemon in box 1 and the items in the bag just fine, it won't show any other item category pages (such as the ball category), and it won't show any boxes other than the first one. Additionally, it won't show my party members. Now, the interesting thing about this problem is that when I used a version of the program that was probably the one just before 3.4, I am fairly sure that it didn't happen.

I'll check this before releasing 4.2, not experienced this myself.

Here are some screenshots of the problem:

Bag

Ball

Box 1

Box 2

Party

Definite bug - window contents should never be blank like that under any circumstances. If the save is corrupt, you should still see the empty boxes.

As for the second problem, the pokemon editor window is a little bunched up... I'm not too sure how to describe it very well, so here is a screenshot.

For this problem, I don't remember whether it was like this in past versions or not, unfortunately. On the other hand, if I were able to increase the height of the window more, this problem would likely go away. I would do that, but this screen is 1366x768...

On the splash screen with the Password entry, select Settings > Full Display from the menu bar. Unticking that will change the Pokemon Editor windows to a tabbed window of smaller size. It takes more clicks to navigate, but will display nicer. Does it work for you OK?

Of course, these concerns are kind of pointless if you do not have any plans to support openjdk. And you obviously do not have to if you don't want; I'm not trying to force that on you. I personally value the idea of "free and open source software (FOSS)" and that's why it would be convenient for me if you did support it.

I value that too, but it's a lower priority. The Linux release 4.2 should run on openjdk as well as containing the images and database.

The next version 4.2 (I'll get the labels right!) will support Box renaming and a few cosmetic tweaks for Windows in addition to the aforementioned bug fixes.

Close to completion is the Android app PokeTweet, so I'll be renaming the editor and including a link and homepage to promote that. Will be free to download and fully compatible with Passwords generated by the desktop application.

Alright, unchecking Full Display did indeed make the pokemon edit UI a lot more manageable in size (I don't know why I just clicked that option and left it that way without having a clue as to what it did). However, as you can see here, well, it seems to be suffering from problems of its own:

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

I was using the new version 4.2, by the way, for all of the above. And indeed, this version seems to display the images just fine without me needing the images archive. Also, the problem with the party, boxes other than #1, and items other than the bag category, not showing up, remains the same.

If it helps at all, here is terminal output from running the program:

** (java:18757): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(SWT:18757): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2347 was not found when attempting to remove it

(SWT:18757): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2428 was not found when attempting to remove it

(SWT:18757): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2464 was not found when attempting to remove it

(SWT:18757): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2813 was not found when attempting to remove it

(SWT:18757): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 3586 was not found when attempting to remove it

(SWT:18757): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 7556 was not found when attempting to remove it
*** BUG ***
In pixman_region32_init_rect: Invalid rectangle passed
Set a breakpoint on '_pixman_log_error' to debug

*** BUG ***

*** BUG ***

*** BUG ***

(SWT:18757): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 12153 was not found when attempting to remove it

Alright, unchecking Full Display did indeed make the pokemon edit UI a lot more manageable in size (I don't know why I just clicked that option and left it that way without having a clue as to what it did). However, as you can see here, well, it seems to be suffering from problems of its own:

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

I was using the new version 4.2, by the way, for all of the above. And indeed, this version seems to display the images just fine without me needing the images archive. Also, the problem with the party, boxes other than #1, and items other than the bag category, not showing up, remains the same.

If it helps at all, here is terminal output from running the program:

** (java:18757): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(SWT:18757): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2347 was not found when attempting to remove it

(SWT:18757): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2428 was not found when attempting to remove it

(SWT:18757): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2464 was not found when attempting to remove it

(SWT:18757): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2813 was not found when attempting to remove it

(SWT:18757): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 3586 was not found when attempting to remove it

(SWT:18757): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 7556 was not found when attempting to remove it
*** BUG ***

*** BUG ***

*** BUG ***

*** BUG ***

(SWT:18757): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 12153 was not found when attempting to remove it

That output means nothing to me I'm afraid. Last time I tested it on Linux, resizing the window helped with the layout.

Found Linux to be awkward with even basic GUI applications.

I'll try running it on an Ubuntu disk image with Oracle's official Java. If that works, which i expect, then it will be an openjdk issue. If that fails too, I can work on a solution that fixes both.

Sorry I don't have the time to put in for full openjdk support, there's not much I can do if there's bugs in openjdk itself.

New thread for Android version here. Development for this tool will continue under the "PokeTweet Editor" name, with download links and full functionality remaining valid and free. The tool didn't have a name before anyhow, so emphasising the compatibility this way.

Edited by Metropolis

Okay well I got around to making a 64-bit Linux virtual machine so that I could try out the official JRE (7u75, so it was supposed to operate similarly if nothing else) in a (relatively) isolated environment and it turns out that at the very least, everything displays fine when I use it. I suppose openjdk really is the problem.

Also, I had been under the impression that Oracle wasn't the one behind openjdk, I guess I had just assumed that there was some other explanation for the Oracle logo on their site, even though that wouldn't make sense. Dunno, guess I'm really slow on the uptake.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it is a .PKM file, open it using the menu, otherwise open the .SAV file of the Gen 2 game.

Then right-click and select copy, or Copy from the menu bar.

Then right-click and Paste in the generation 3 game window. If you need a blank Gen 3 window to paste it in, click New Gen 3 PKM from the menu.

Once copied, the password can be pasted in the box or onto forums.

The idea is to open the two .SAV files in separate windows, drag Pokemon between them like files across folders, then save the changes when prompted.

Ah okay, thank you!

By the way, there is one little request I'd like to make. I hope I can put this into words correctly but when you are editing a Pokemon with your tool and you want to set the species or moves (essentially anything that has these pull-down menus) I usually expect to be able to type the name of the Pokemon or the name of the move in myself, without having to look for these names in the entire list since that is how it works with PokeGen or PKHeX and most other programmes that use pull-down-menus like this. In your programme, when I open one of those menus, e. g. the species one, I can type in a single letter on my keyboard and the list jumps to the next Pokemon in the list whose name starts with the letter I typed which is good but in other programmes like PokeGen you can type in the entire name of the Pokemon you're looking for and the list jumps straight to the Pokemon you typed in. Could you implement this in your editor? That would make creating Pokemon a lot faster and comfortable.

Thanks in advance,

Michael