[Tutorial][HGSS] Change the shiny probability

Main effect:

The probability is PP/65536.

PP is equal to 08 by default.

You can now put the value 10 (16 chances in 65536), like in Gen VI.

• Decompress arm9.bin.
  • Go to offset 0×70080* and change the value 08 into QQ.
  • QQ can take any value from 00 (no shiny at all) to FF (roughly 1 in 257 chance).

*Regions' differences:

Language		Shiny chance

Japanese		0×6FAC0
Spanish HG		0×70078
Korean HG		0×7017C
Korean SS		0×70174
Others			0×70080

Side-effect:

Formula reminder: (Trainer ID ⊕ Secret ID) ⊕ (16 leftmost bits of PID ⊕ 16 rightmost bits of PID) = CID

What I call the CID (stands for Color ID) must be a number between 0 and 7 included for its bearer to be shiny.

For example let's say you decided to update the value from 0×08 to 0×10, what will happen you may ask?

Any caught Pokémon who happens to have their CID between 8 and 15 included and who weren't shiny before the update will turn shiny!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Is this topic completely dead? I used hxd editor, found Offset (h) 00070080, looked in line 06 like voxhack said, but I have an 09 there, not an 08, theres no other 08's in the line. Also, what should the bytes per row be set to? Some help would be much appreciated.

When I change the 09 to an FF, the game just crashes at the main screen.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2018 at 11:15 AM, Salvo said:

Figred out how, but I get this message when I try to import my new arm9.bin file "File is too small! Enter a new location(V): No data after the previous position ROM makes new is recommended."

Import using the option name "Compression" instead of "Import". I read that that is how that error can be avoided.

BTW, for this method, the Pokemon only appears shiny in the modded rom.
When traded away, most of the Pokemon caught with this mod will appear non-shiny.
(I've tested this. A Shiny Ledyba I caught is actually non-shiny in other games.
This method doesn't regen a shiny PID, but rather just changes the game's threshold)

On 7/2/2017 at 3:13 AM, Fennekin101 said:

Is there any way to do this for 5th gen games? Thanks in advance

here: https://projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/26678-how-can-i-change-the-chance-to-encounter-a-shiny-pokemon-in-pokemon-bw/

• 1 year later...
Just now, Kamaris said:

Is there a better tutorial?

as far as I can tell, the first post to this thread tells you literally what you need to do:

• Decompress arm9.bin.
  • Go to offset (list above) and change the value 08 into QQ.
  • QQ can take any value from 00 (no shiny at all) to FF (roughly 1 in 257 chance).

That is pretty much as clear cut as it could be.
Rather ask for a "better tutorial", tell us which part you didn't understand, and we can proceed to elaborate.

34 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

as far as I can tell, the first post to this thread tells you literally what you need to do:

• Decompress arm9.bin.
  • Go to offset (list above) and change the value 08 into QQ.

That is pretty much as clear cut as it could be.
Rather ask for a "better tutorial", tell us which part you didn't understand, and we can proceed to elaborate.

Alright then i can't find 0x70080.

Edited by Kamaris
typo