Weekly Poll #6: Shiftry vs. Ludicolo

wraith89

Shiftry or Ludicolo?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Shiftry or Ludicolo?

• Shiftry
    • Ludicolo
    • Both! They're so awesome!
    • Neither. I told you I hate plants because their typing is suckage!
    • Seedot/Nuzleaf! Why did it have to evolve? I like my acorn/other thingy, not a tengu!
    • Lotad/Lombre! Why did it have to evolve? I like my lily pad/emo plant thingy, not a happy dancing plant!

I realized no one cares about Kanto Pokemon anymore unlike me, so I'll bring out two familiar Grass Pokemon for the new. Not that I don't appreciate it, mind you... but I'm more tuned for the Pokes of the old. Now let's bring in the more eccentric and still obscure Pokes...

[sprite]275[/sprite] [shinysprite]275[/shinysprite]

SHIFTRY

GRASS/DARK

HP: 90

Atk: 100

Def: 60

SpA: 90

SpDef: 60

Spe: 80

BST: 480

Advantages:

- Has good attack power for both sides of the spectrum

- Gets Nasty Plot to boost its special attack into insane levels and Swords Dance to boost its attack into insane levels

- Chlorophyll boosts its speed to insane levels

- Decent speed for a grasser

- Can detonate whenever it is in trouble

- Looks cooler than Ludicolo because he is based off a tengu (Subjective I guess :/)

- Has the movepool to cover its weaknesses

- Has an immunity to Psychic attacks

Disadvantages:

- Very frail and dies to common attacks like Ice Beam or Fighting moves

- Sunny Day vs Fire Pokemon is suicide

- Must be a Seedot for a LONG LONG time to learn Explosion

- Depends on Sun support to get its speed up; has a sweep or die mentality

- Does not learn support moves

- Early Bird isn't as useful of a second ability as Ludicolo's second ability is

- Is not an effective Subseeder

- Is often forgotten because of Ludicolo

[sprite]272[/sprite] [shinysprite]272[/shinysprite]

LUDICOLO

GRASS/WATER

HP: 80

Atk: 70

Def: 70

SpA: 90

SpDef: 100

Spe: 70

BST: 480

Advantages:

- Sturdier than its counterpart

- Can become very useful in the rain with both of its rain benefiting abilities

- Swift Swim can help it outspeed things with the rain

- Has an amazing typing which covers many of its weaknesses

- Has a large movepool, such as Hydro Pump, Surf, Waterfall, Ice Beam, Seed Bomb, Energy Ball, Grass Knot, the three elemental punches, etc...

- Can double up in roles as either a staller or a sweeper (physical AND special)

- Has the stats and the movepool to act as a staller (Leech Seed, Substitute, Protect, etc...)

- Ludicolo is one of the few effective users of Dive

- Works well in Ubers against Kyogre

Disadvantages:

- Does not have a great support movepool which would be VERY useful

- Its stats are not too remarkable

- Often forgotten and to some people it has a lousy appearance (but come on, what's not so cool about a sombrero plant?)

- Must stay a Lombre for a long time to learn Hydro Pump... and if you want Energy Ball and not willing to use the TM, you'll have to wait a long time for Lotad to learn it... then evolve it at the same level to become a Lombre and learn Hydro Pump (level 45 for each I believe).

- Some people don't like to evolve their awesome looking Lombre into a Ludicolo because of the personality change

Vote which one you like and give a reason why.

I guess I'll have to be partial again X_X

I'll pick Ludicolo because that thing is just awesome in battles and I just love Water Pokemon. Really, look at that unique typing. Water/Grass... that's just so cool. It's jolly and happy, but I kinda liked Lombre better in terms of personality... but still, jolly plants FTW.

Shiftry is much stronger. I never noticed him that much that I forgot he was dark type aswell.

But that list of weaknesses piled up with those defenses spells a certain doom for that tengu. Ludicolo is more suited for battles although Shiftry can be good with a lot of support.

Its gotta be Shiftry, a dark, evil looking tree who can slap you about with both Atk and SpA, what more can you ask for :tongue:, ok in competitive battling it usually gets owned but who cares, if you play it right it can be devastating.

Ludicolo lol it looks like a failed mexican experiment to splice a pineapple and a duck, yeah it can be very good in battle (i never use it) but i think it sucks, water and grass is a good typing but they are my least favorite 2 (lol at your american spell checker telling me to spell favourite wrong)

I don't understand what you mean by obscure at all, in Ubers Shiftry has been used to a lot of success and has even been a staple on peoples teams, while adversely Ludicolo has its uses in OU and Ubers on rain teams, he also makes a great sponge due to his unique defensive typing.

The duck I feel is also better as its more versatile then shiftry. STAB on grassknot with decent special attack, an ability to boost its mediocre speed ( albeit in the rain) , unique defensive typing and a decent movepool back up what is also a neat looking pokemon, and I feel that it pushes it ahead of shiftry in a lot of ways.

Ice beam

Surf

Grassknot/Energy ball

Hydro pump

Leech seed

Protect

Toxic

Substitute

Swords dance

Focus punch

Waterfall

Seed bomb

Fake out

along with Swift swim or Rain dish gives him enough options to be a potent threat for more than one role.

I just can't choose. They're both so epic. One is devastating in the sun the other in the rain. Evil Tree =/= Deformed Mexican Duck =/

I agree.

Still hate Grass types other than Celebi. Again im the one who chose hates both due to their suckage typing.

Shiftry is a twig either way, aesthetically and battlewise.......cause it dies so quickly.

I hate ludicolo very very much >_> Its a dorky looking pokemon. It irritated me to no end in Emerald. I vowed id destroy it at the first time i saw its retarded face, with absolutely no mercy.

Yeah they have some good possibilities, but Ludicolo is better than Shiftry. Thats my opinion on whos better.......but i still hate them both.

Wraith, make the next poll about Flying types would you. Im done with these annoying grass types -____-

I don't understand what you mean by obscure at all, in Ubers Shiftry has been used to a lot of success and has even been a staple on peoples teams, while adversely Ludicolo has its uses in OU and Ubers on rain teams, he also makes a great sponge due to his unique defensive typing.

The duck I feel is also better as its more versatile then shiftry. STAB on grassknot with decent special attack, an ability to boost its mediocre speed ( albeit in the rain) , unique defensive typing and a decent movepool back up what is also a neat looking pokemon, and I feel that it pushes it ahead of shiftry in a lot of ways.

Ice beam

Surf

Grassknot/Energy ball

Hydro pump

Leech seed

Protect

Toxic

Substitute

Swords dance

Focus punch

Waterfall

Seed bomb

Fake out

along with Swift swim or Rain dish gives him enough options to be a potent threat for more than one role.

I agree... but from where I am, not many people know what Shiftry is :P

One works well in sun, the other works well in rain. They're perfect counterparts to each other.

theyre both so friggin ugly, but based on appaearance i vote shiftry. in competitive battling ludicolo would win. it annoyed the living crap outta me when i was up against wallace. it not only has a huge amount of defense, it has few weaknesses that can much of anything to it. but i go with shifty, im just a tiny bit racist of mexicans... the sombrero kills me. i hae ludicolo so much id have to go with shiftry.

I can't believe that people are hating on Ludicolo! He's beautiful!! I adore Ludicolo, he's one of my favorite pokemon....and he looks good >_>.

He's very useful in battles..I've used him with both it's abilities in rain and both were a success when it was used at the right time. As for Shiftry...he is one of the most hideous pokes ever..(Blaziken is the first one).