Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 - Psy_commando's Tools and research notes

1 hour ago, psy_commando said:

Well, you'd need to draw new ones first. Then its just a matter of importing them into the game

Hey, are you still working on the starter and partner animations? I wanted to ask how much progress you have made and when the starter and partner are randomized. I wanna play a randomizer with randomized starters.

1 minute ago, psy_commando said:

Yeah, but I'm not working on a randomizer?

I'm working on modding tools for the game mainly.

But is the tool for changing the starter and partner downloadable along with the starter and partner sprites, so we can import them easily? I was hoping that you were making a randomizer where you also can randomizer the starter and partner. I was really excited for that.

On 8/9/2017 at 10:14 PM, ThePokeChamp2002 said:

Hey I see you are really working hard on this "starter and partner randomizations". I know you are not done yet with it, but I am really excited for the starters and partners randomization. I played a explorers of sky randomizer but I was kind of dissapointed when I saw I couldnt randomize my starter and partner. I am really excited and I wish you the best of luck.

The Github page says the latest release does exactly that. Even then, couldn't you just pick a random number and then edit it in Sky Editor?

• Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 1:53 PM, Mewth said:

I really love the mystery dungeon series and the little portraits <3. But I was wondering if I could have a little help with changing the expression of the Pokemon in the image if that wouldn't be too much trouble, please?

Here's something to help you (and anyone else who's interested): https://sta.sh/01e8ji836ni5

I made some blanks for new portraits. Keep in mind that if you want to add them to the game, you need to make sure they use at least or less than 16 colors and be indexed, 4bpp pngs with a size of 40x40.

Edited by WitchDianna
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

Just a quick note, but I updated the first page and fixed all the dead dropbox links I could find! Sorry for putting this off for so long ^^;

Also, I'm having some issues working on the sprite editor. I'm not sure how to make the sprite import functionality "spriter workflow friendly"? I was planning on making a sort of "Draw a grid over the various frames of a sequence" on an animation sheet an artist would make.The grid's cells would be adjustable manually, so it would be more flexible. But its a lot of work to do that, and I want to make sure I'm heading the right way.. If anyone reading this is a sprite artist, I'd like to hear what you'd like to have in a tool like this?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, newbie here

I've made some portraits for Gardevoir. Most of them are not originally mine, I just found them elsewhere and then messed with them. Pained, shouting, dizzy and stunned portraits are mine though. 

Feel free to use them all, have fun ^^

0004_PAINED.png

0006_ANGRY.png

0010_SAD.png

0012_CRYING.png

0014_SHOUTING.png

0016_TEARY_EYED.png

0018_DETERMINED.png

0020_JOYOUS.png

0026_DIZZY.png

0034_STUNNED.png

P.S: I want to make and add more stuff but I lack free time :(

P.S 2: Working on some other portraits, these are what I've completed so far. I was not kidding about lacking free time, unfortunately :(

Anyway, some Porygon portraits

0002_GRIN.png

0006_ANGRY.png

0010_SAD.png

Edited by pokemaniac93
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That's a map tileset. Currently no. But I have something in the works for that. I just have been pretty busy and had to deal with stuff for the last few months.

There is still a bunch of stuff to figure out about the format. BPL is for the palette and animated palettes if any. BPC is for a good chunk of the layers and the tileset. BMA have a header, contains several data blocks, some looking like a collision map or something like that.. But its still a bit unclear how it all works together. I'm having some issues dealing with the tiling of tiles.. The maps seems to tile their tiles, and they have a variable dimension for their tiles of tiles, which causes misalignement issues..

Edited by psy_commando

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the script editor. I downloaded the latest version, and then I looked at the tutorial that was listed. It said it included some files. I downloaded the post, but it was just the images. So, I don't really have any clue on what I'm supposed to do. Could you point me in the right direction? I feel like I'm missing something.

8 hours ago, RocketKnight66 said:

I have a question about the script editor. I downloaded the latest version, and then I looked at the tutorial that was listed. It said it included some files. I downloaded the post, but it was just the images. So, I don't really have any clue on what I'm supposed to do. Could you point me in the right direction? I feel like I'm missing something.

The link to the zip is in the tutorial post in the forums. Here:
https://app.box.com/s/v3ri7qqisu2rf4db0qfvm7rhx8imxnf7

Just overwrite the old version

Edited by psy_commando
  • Like 1

Hello again, the whole Growlithe and Snorunt sets are ready

Smoochum is also half-ready but the game considers her genderless as a partner or starter, I dunno why. An in-game bug or sexism, I dunno lol :D

P.S: All portraits of Mareep, Oddish, Wooper, Clefairy and the missing portraits of former starters like Machop, Cubone and Psyduck can be found on the Internet.

P.S 2: Still trying to edit sprites but I'm out of luck and skill for now :( 

Growlithe:

0000_STANDARD.png

0002_GRIN.png

0004_PAINED.png

0006_ANGRY.png

0008_WORRIED.png

0010_SAD.png

0012_CRYING.png

0014_SHOUTING.png

0016_TEARY_EYED.png

0018_DETERMINED.png

0020_JOYOUS.png

0022_INSPIRED.png

0024_SURPRISED.png

0026_DIZZY.png

0032_SIGH.png

0034_STUNNED.png

Snorunt:

0000_STANDARD.png

0002_GRIN.png

0004_PAINED.png

0006_ANGRY.png

0008_WORRIED.png

0010_SAD.png

0012_CRYING.png

0014_SHOUTING.png

0016_TEARY_EYED.png

0018_DETERMINED.png

0020_JOYOUS.png

0022_INSPIRED.png

0024_SURPRISED.png

0026_DIZZY.png

0032_SIGH.png

0034_STUNNED.png

Some portraits of Smoochum:

0010_SAD.png

0018_DETERMINED.png

0020_JOYOUS.png

0022_INSPIRED.png

0026_DIZZY.png

0032_SIGH.png

Miscellaneous:

0002_GRIN.png

0018_DETERMINED.png

0002_GRIN.png

0002_GRIN.png

Edited by pokemaniac93
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So, after a while and not making progress or getting input on the UI, I decided to just release a build of my WIP sprite editor as-is so people can see it and hopefully I can get some feedback.

It can only load game sprites and display them right now. Don't try to save a sprite, or you might end up corrupting something.

Here's the link :https://github.com/PsyCommando/ppmdu_spriteeditor/releases/tag/1.0.0-unstable.34

I'd appreciate if sprite makers and etc would let me know what they think about the interface so far. If its sufficient or if there's some ways to improve it?

• Time Gear 1

On 10/29/2017 at 11:33 PM, psy_commando said:

So, after a while and not making progress or getting input on the UI, I decided to just release a build of my WIP sprite editor as-is so people can see it and hopefully I can get some feedback.

It can only load game sprites and display them right now. Don't try to save a sprite, or you might end up corrupting something.

Here's the link :https://github.com/PsyCommando/ppmdu_spriteeditor/releases/tag/1.0.0-unstable.34

I'd appreciate if sprite makers and etc would let me know what they think about the interface so far. If its sufficient or if there's some ways to improve it?

While I'm not too experienced with importing 2D animations into games, I found the UI superb and professional looking, aside from a few small typos. To be honest, any small kinks in it would only be found through normal use, which isn't really possible now, so it might be better to get it working first before polishing up the UI. But it's up to you.

Also, do you know where the starter-unique sprites (sleeping in hay, being tied to a pillar, etc.) can be found? I couldn't find them with the rest, but at the same time, I didn't look too hard.

EDIT: Never mind, found them in "m_ground.bin".

Edited by TyVogue64
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...