Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 - Psy_commando's Tools and research notes

Something happened? Sorry, my sister wants to play the game, if there isn't any success, then she will play the game with or without portraits. It's like she's giving up...

At this point, she probably should start playing the game like that. Its going to take a while. And we're both a bit busy right now ^^;

The save game can always be re-used with a modified rom.

Something happened? Sorry, my sister wants to play the game, if there isn't any success, then she will play the game with or without portraits. It's like she's giving up...

Did my patcher not work?

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12744&d=1447559619

As for generating it on your end, I've pushed another update (Alpha 4.0.0.7) that adds an "Archive" menu item. Simply load your project, press then button, and let it do its magic. Once it's done, please upload the resulting Archive.zip in your project directory. If it fails, please post the Output. Verbose output not required.

Did my patcher not work?

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12744&d=1447559619

As for generating it on your end, I've pushed another update (Alpha 4.0.0.7) that adds an "Archive" menu item. Simply load your project, press then button, and let it do its magic. Once it's done, please upload the resulting Archive.zip in your project directory. If it fails, please post the Output. Verbose output not required.

System.IO.IOException: El proceso no puede obtener acceso al archivo 'C:\Users\Gustavo\Downloads\poke\pokemon importante\skyeditor\outside in\Archive\Mods\buneary\Pokemon\Portraits\0469_buneary' porque está siendo utilizado en otro proceso.
  en System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound)
  en System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
  en System.IO.Directory.Delete(String path, Boolean recursive)
  en ROMEditor.GenericNDSModProject._Closure$__20-0._Lambda$__0()
  en System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
  en System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- Fin del seguimiento de la pila de la ubicación anterior donde se produjo la excepción ---
  en System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
  en System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
  en System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.GetResult()
  en ROMEditor.GenericNDSModProject.VB$StateMachine_20_ArchiveAsync.MoveNext()
--- Fin del seguimiento de la pila de la ubicación anterior donde se produjo la excepción ---
  en System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
  en SkyEditorBase.MainWindow2.VB$StateMachine_32_menuArchive_Click.MoveNext()

This is what I got after failing.

And, I checked your portraits, to notice that all of them, well, except the original ones, (cause they're original lol) had 18 colors instead of 16, so I fixed them, and I made it archive again, and that's what I got.

System.IO.IOException: El proceso no puede obtener acceso al archivo 'C:\Users\Gustavo\Downloads\poke\pokemon importante\skyeditor\outside in\Archive\Mods\buneary\Pokemon\Portraits\0469_buneary' porque está siendo utilizado en otro proceso.
  en System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound)
  en System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
  en System.IO.Directory.Delete(String path, Boolean recursive)
  en ROMEditor.GenericNDSModProject._Closure$__20-0._Lambda$__0()
  en System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
  en System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
  en ROMEditor.GenericNDSModProject.VB$StateMachine_20_ArchiveAsync.MoveNext()
  en SkyEditorBase.MainWindow2.VB$StateMachine_32_menuArchive_Click.MoveNext()

This is what I got after failing.

And, I checked your portraits, to notice that all of them, well, except the original ones, (cause they're original lol) had 18 colors instead of 16, so I fixed them, and I made it archive again, and that's what I got.

Looks like something is trying to access those files.

You should be able to try again if you close any active programs using those files.

Looks like something is trying to access those files.

You should be able to try again if you close any active programs using those files.

I just don't understand. I tried many times archiving it, and it still shows the portraits missing. Also when I archive the ROM, it deletes my fixed mugshots with some new ones, except some, who still conservate their 16 colors. These portraits are: Surprised, Dizzy, Sigh and Stunned. The others still show me they have 18 colors. And when I tested it, after the scene when Buneary says she can't wake up, the Rom couldn't let me do anything, like if it froze or something, so I can't keep playing.

What should I do?

I just don't understand. I tried many times archiving it, and it still shows the portraits missing.

Archiving the project won't fix the problem, but it will help us find out what's going wrong.

Also when I archive the ROM, it deletes my fixed mugshots with some new ones, except some, who still conservate their 16 colors.

Make sure you're updating the portraits in /{ProjectName}/Mods/{ModName}/Pokémon/Portraits/

If you change any files in /{ProjectName}/Archive, they'll get deleted.

If you change any files in /{ProjectName}/BaseRom RawFiles/, the patching process won't work right. Right now, the only way to fix this is to create another project.

What should I do?

Please try archiving the project again, without editing anything in the Archive folder.

When it's done, please upload the Archive.zip in the project folder. It will be too big to attach to a forum post, so I'd recommend FileTrip.

Archiving the project won't fix the problem, but it will help us find out what's going wrong.

Make sure you're updating the portraits in /{ProjectName}/Mods/{ModName}/Pokémon/Portraits/

If you change any files in /{ProjectName}/Archive, they'll get deleted.

If you change any files in /{ProjectName}/BaseRom RawFiles/, the patching process won't work right. Right now, the only way to fix this is to create another project.

Please try archiving the project again, without editing anything in the Archive folder.

When it's done, please upload the Archive.zip in the project folder. It will be too big to attach to a forum post, so I'd recommend FileTrip.

Ok, here: http://filetrip.net/dl?v8QkqTToQQ

It looks like some of the images in {ProjectFolder}/Mods/buneary/Pokemon/Portraits/0469_buneary aren't quite the right image format. Please make sure they're indexed pngs, with a palette of 16 colors.

Really? I checked them today, yet they still show they're all indexed and with 16 colors...

I checked those in the zip with irfan viewer, and they're 256 colors 8bpp pngs, they should be 16 colors 4bpp pngs.

There are 16 colors in the palette, but the format is still 8bpp 256 colors, and that's the problem.

And, I think at this point, it might be better/faster if you guys used PMs to solve this. Sorry for changing my mind, but its been going on for almost 5 pages this far, and I think we pretty much dealt with all the potential bugs with the program now. ^^;

New release of audioutil !

I implemented the rendering of audio envelope into the samples and, it made quite a difference. (MIDI rendered without additional processing in Foobar2000 with the MIDI plugin)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13343993/my_pmd_research_files/converted_with_audioutil/Dec3/84_B_EVENT_SEPARAT.mp3

It will never be perfect that way though. I'll be making an audio player to do the job properly.

Also, the issue with some of the sample being completely off-pitch is still not solved. I've been asking around to find a solution though.

Here's the release. This one is pretty rough around the edges, but its been a long while since the last release, and well the last one was problematic to say the least..

https://github.com/PsyCommando/ppmdu/releases/tag/ppmd_audioutil_0.20

EDIT:

Feedback very much welcome by the way! I can't do much to improve the tool without that!

Edited by psy_commando

I checked those in the zip with irfan viewer, and they're 256 colors 8bpp pngs, they should be 16 colors 4bpp pngs.

There are 16 colors in the palette, but the format is still 8bpp 256 colors, and that's the problem.

And, I think at this point, it might be better/faster if you guys used PMs to solve this. Sorry for changing my mind, but its been going on for almost 5 pages this far, and I think we pretty much dealt with all the potential bugs with the program now. ^^;

It's okay. BTW, it's possible to add the Pokémon of 5th and 6th gen in the game? Just wondering, because I want to add some Pokémon, such as Audino and Lilligant.

And if it's possible, to replace some NPCs, like replacing Chimecho and Sunflora with an Audino and a Lilligant. It's not that I hate them, it's just I want to update the game.

If it's not possible in both ways, it's okay ^^

Its not yet possible to "add" pokemon. You can replace some of them though. But you need to know how.

I'd wait for someone to make a frontend for my tools before trying to do it, because its a bit more complicated than the portraits..

I know someone that replaced a pokemon with minccino sprites, and portraits made by someone.

And also, there are still things we don't really understand about the game yet.

Its not yet possible to "add" pokemon. You can replace some of them though. But you need to know how.

I'd wait for someone to make a frontend for my tools before trying to do it, because its a bit more complicated than the portraits..

I know someone that replaced a pokemon with minccino sprites, and portraits made by someone.

And also, there are still things we don't really understand about the game yet.

Okay. I understand, and, if possible, I want to replace Slakoth line, Dunsparce and Qwilfish with other Pokémon.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyways, as @psy_commando said, my portraits are 8 bbp 256 colors, can someone change them into 4 bpp?

I don't know how...

I don't think your portraits have exactly 16 colors. I'm looking at the "SURPRISED" portrait right now in GIMP and I grabbed all the colors from portrait and there's only 13 on it (the others are also missing 3 more colors). One of your previous files here:

Here's a zip that includes every portrait of Buneary, and I give credit to FatefulSprites, for editing them:[ATTACH]12742[/ATTACH]

That same portrait had 18 colors; 2 too many.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello there. I'm new to this board so I'm sorry if this counts as necroposting, but I need help with two things. The first is editing the script. I've been attempting to use the PMD Script Editor, but it's nearly impossible for me to navigate. Plus, whenever I click on a text option, large amounts of random junk characters are generated in between messages. The second thing I've been attempting to do is change which pokemon appear in cutscenes and/or boss battles. While it seems like I should simply use the statsutil tool, that requires me to extract the game data. The closest I can come to is to use nitroexplorer, but that only allows one file to be extracted at a time. Can anyone help me out?

Hello there. I'm new to this board so I'm sorry if this counts as necroposting, but I need help with two things. The first is editing the script. I've been attempting to use the PMD Script Editor, but it's nearly impossible for me to navigate. Plus, whenever I click on a text option, large amounts of random junk characters are generated in between messages. The second thing I've been attempting to do is change which pokemon appear in cutscenes and/or boss battles. While it seems like I should simply use the statsutil tool, that requires me to extract the game data. The closest I can come to is to use nitroexplorer, but that only allows one file to be extracted at a time. Can anyone help me out?

The script editor is made by Nerketur, he has a thread for it on pokecommunity. I doubt he checks this thread.

Cutscenes and boss battles are handled by script too.

Statsutil can't edit this kind of stuff right now. I need more feedback on things too, since nobody seem to say anything about it. Its hard to make modding tools if nobody says anything about them..

Nitro explorer isn't really great for modding. Get ndstool or dsbuff, or one of the other programs that can unpack roms. A lot of new ones popped up.