Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 - Psy_commando's Tools and research notes

Psy, i had some notes i made from before you even started this project. Back then i tried hex editing some preexisting dungeons, and in order to do that i dug deep into that gamefaqs topic for information. You might already have all this information, but i decided to post in here just in case you didn't. I hope this helps you even a tiny little bit:

http://pastebin.com/kWDYtbQe

I remember that it took me like 6 hours to dig this much information from that topic, and that i wasn't 100% sure that i didn't made a mistake when writing it. So while this might help, when in doubt presume that my notes are wrong okay.

edit: Also, once you figure out the rest (like what different values mean on each byte and which offsets are for which dungeons) making an utility to edit dungeons shouldn't be very difficult for you.

Thanks ! I gathered most of that already though, but every little bits helps !

Also, I haven't updated here in a while, but I made some pretty big progress. I don't have much to show for it though..

I added BGP support to GFXCrunch, but I still need to fix a lot of little ongoing issues with the program to continue working on it and adding features.

Also, I figured out how the LFO work more or less. Have a 20 mins video of me changing the LFO values :

^^;

I made a pretty big breakthrough in exporting the midis from the game. The main issue was that I coded most of that at around 3am, and it really did show.. So I recoded some parts of it, and it fixed issues with presets not being assigned correctly, which in turns mean that volume envelopes worked more like expected.

Exporting to the soundfont format is going to be lossier than expected though.. Soundfont doesn't support a lot of features that DSE does. Like LFOs and priority/polyphony groups.. I could fake some of those things using midi, but a lot of advance features like filters or even just setting a frequency or delay+fadeout on a LFO based effect is not possible because its implementation specific..

We might have to write a mini DAW to work with DSE stuff.. Or maybe I could just export XML data.. We'll have to see..

I'm hoping to resume work on statsutil soon, but that huge breakthrough was too much to let go just now xD

Here's a sample of what audioutil can export now:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13343993/my_pmd_research_files/converted_with_audioutil/Oct10/21_B_DUN_SHIMETTAI.mp3

Its not perfect yet, but its close.

And here's one of the more problematic tracks :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13343993/my_pmd_research_files/converted_with_audioutil/Oct10/45_B_DUN_ISONODOUK.mp3

There is a sample that is completely off-pitch and I'm not sure why. I guess its probably linked to the 3 pitch-changing paramters in the SWD file. But I'm not sure what they represent.. The default pitch value is 249 for some reason..

I updated my notes with the details:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13343993/my_pmd_research_files/PMD2_MusicAndSoundFormats.txt

And also, here are some of my really messy notes listing all the DSE events :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13343993/my_pmd_research_files/SMD_FileParsingCode.txt

If anyone has the time to look at those and figure out what the unknown ones do, it would be greatly appreciated !

I put together a pre-alpha release of ppmd_audioutil !

Its pretty limited right now.

- It can extract the pmd2 tracks to MIDI files + a soundfont. (I recommend using foobar2000 with the midi plugin to automatically play those with the correct soundfont from the same folder, so you don't have to manually change the soundfont each time in bassmidi or whatever you're using : foobar2000 player: http://www.foobar2000.org/ midi plugin : http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_midi )

- It can export samples from a SWDL file.

- It can export single SMDL files as-is.

- It can export singel SMDL files according to conversion rules defined in a XML file. (example included!)

However right now it cannot:

- Export SEDLs.

- Convert MIDIs to SMDLs + SWDLs.

- Build SWDL sample banks.

- Build SEDLs.

And the MIDI export + Soundfont export is not 100% accurate yet.

- Duration for notes are still guestimates I got through trial and errors.

- Volume values are simply a proportion of 20 decibel, which is most likely inacurate.

- A lot of events are unsuported, but most of the events used in the PMD2 soundtrack are supported.

- The soundfont format doesn't let you tweak its LFOs or redirect them. While DSE support up to 4 LFO effects with a basic delay and fade-out. No phaser, no affecting the volume via LFO, etc..

- The soundfont format doesn't support a second decay from sustain volume to complete silence while the key is held.

- Still haven't figured out the pitch correction parameters yet, so some samples sound off.

- No resonance applied on the samples yet.

Here's the readme:

* To export the entire pmd2 BGM folder, just specify the path to the rom's root directory

and the -pmd2 commandline option, like so :

ppmd_audioutil.exe -pmd2 "pmd2_extractedrom" "out_bgm"

* To export a single SMDL file as-is, just drag and drop onto the executable.

* To export a single SMDL using conversion rules, to make it use standard MIDI instruments

specify the path to the conversion info file, using the -cvinfo option at the commandline

like this :

ppmd_audioutil.exe "pmd2_extractedrom\SOUND\BGM\bgm0003.smd" "bgm0003.mid" -cvinfo "pmd2eos_cvinfo.xml" -fl 1

The option -fl 1 tells the program to loop the track again once after it played. It will only loop

tracks that have a loop point though.

You can make your own, edit, or add to the cvinfo XML file ! The details are in the example

file "pmd2eos_cvinfo.xml" !

* To export the content of a SWDL file containing samples, simply drag and drop the file

onto the executable!

The midis exported use the GS standard, and contains GS SysEx messages to make channel 10 a regular track not dedicated to drums. The soundfont is filled sequentially, so there is no order or labels for each presets, and since each tracks in the game has its own "soundfont" there are a lot of repetition, with small changes. If someone would make a list of what each tracks use, and give them a name, it would be possible to export a proper soundfont. I don't really have time for that honestly..

Individually exported MIDIs by default use the drumkit located in Bank 127, Preset 1. So you'll need a soundfont that has drumkits in bank 127 to listen to those.

The XML file contains a list of the presets used in each tracks, and what MIDI preset and bank to use for each in the exported MIDI. It also allows to remap certain keys for drumkits.

It contains only the data for 4 tracks from PMD2:EoS right now, and anyone is welcome to contribute to it so we can make it a bit more complete hopefully! (To clear things up, that doesn't affect exporting to MIDI+soundfont, only when exporting to a midi using the XML file for conversion)

Here's the download link on my github :

https://github.com/PsyCommando/ppmdu/releases/tag/ppmd_audioutil_0.1

(see post below for latest fixed version!)

EDIT:

For some reasons when export the midis from pmd2, they won't loop properly.. There is a delay between loops. I'll look into it..

Edited by psy_commando

Ok, fixed the looping bug :

https://github.com/PsyCommando/ppmdu/releases/tag/ppmd_audioutil_0.11

EDIT: Also created a wiki page for the SWDL format finally !

http://projectpokemon.org/wiki/Dse_swdl

The SMDL page will feel a bit less lonely now ! :P

EDIT2:

Fixed tracks without a loop point being looped:

https://github.com/PsyCommando/ppmdu/releases/tag/ppmd_audioutil_0.12

Edited by psy_commando

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to see if I couldn't find a way to get a more accurate export of the presets, but the soundfont format is too limited to support all cases..

And the big issue I got is that the volume envelope in the soundfont format are all logarithmic. While those in DSE are linear.. That makes the sound go quieter much earlier in the curve, and the tracks were written to compensate for the linear volume ramps..

So, I've been considering "baking" the samples with the full DSE volume envelope, beside the release phase. But I can't bake the LFO effects unfortunately, because it wouldn't work properly while the loop is played..

I'm also considering writing my own player to play/exporter the tracks properly in higher quality than the NDS, with some proper interpolation and etc..

In other news I finally got the courage to setup a testing setup for editing map and script stuff in Explorers of Time (because the debug menu is much easier to access in it). And I'm slowly figuring out what the file formats do.

For now, I can say that the BPL files are for storing map tiles palettes for map tilesets, the BMA contain tile placement data and decide the size of the map, the BPC contains the actual tileset images and tile assembly info.

I'm still poking at the format, changing values and seeing what happens in the map viewer. But hopefully soon we'll have a better understanding of the map tileset format !

• 3 weeks later...
Of course! What do you want to ask?

Well, since my sister actually wants to be an Buneary as the hero. I have a problem, is that Buneary doesn't have any portraits, so I made them, but I didn't understood how to put the portraits in the game. For some reason, it always say that it failed to Brick/Unpack thing, and I don't know what I did wrong.

By the way, the hero is actually an Eevee. With a cheat, I replaced it with a Buneary.

Thanks for your help :)

Well, since my sister actually wants to be an Buneary as the hero. I have a problem, is that Buneary doesn't have any portraits, so I made them, but I didn't understood how to put the portraits in the game. For some reason, it always say that it failed to Brick/Unpack thing, and I don't know what I did wrong.

By the way, the hero is actually an Eevee. With a cheat, I replaced it with a Buneary.

I've actually been working polishing this very thing! (Well, not for Buneary, but you get the idea.)

Please follow these instructions:

1. Download the latest version of Sky Editor: http://dl.uniquegeeks.net/Sky Editor 11-12-15.zip

Keep in mind this is an alpha. Doing anything

2. Once it's downloaded, use right-click > Properties > General > Security > Unblock. Then unzip the zip.

3. Open SkyEditor.exe.

4. File > New > Project. Call it whatever you want, store it in any folder, and select GenericNDSModProject as the project type. Then click OK.

5. Browse to any Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky ROM. Region shouldn't matter, it has been tested on US and EU ROMs.

6. Wait until ndstool is done unpacking (when you see "Ready" at the bottom of the window).

7. Use File -> Save -> Project. This will prevent you from having to unpack the ROM again if something goes wrong. To reopen the project, use File -> Open -> Open (Auto-Detect Game).

8. In the Files tool window to the right, expand [DIR], right-click "Mods", and choose "Add File".

9. Name it whatever you want, and choose the type "KaomadoNDSMod".

10. Wait until you see "Ready" at the bottom of the window.

11. Repeat step 8 and 9, but choose the type "SkyStarterMod" this time.

12. Expand [DIR]/Mods/(Whatever you named it in 11)/, and double click "Starter Pokemon".

13. Edit your player and partner choices to your liking. If you want to play as Buneary, change everything in the player tab to Buneary. This will guarantee you get that Pokemon.

14. When you're done, use File -> Save -> Save File

15. Outside of the program, navigate to where you stored the project. Then open Mods/(Whatever you named it in 9)/Pokemon/Portraits

16. Navigate to the folder of your choosing. Buneary's is "0469_buneary". In the background, step 9 added duplicate portraits for every emotion, so the default portrait would be shown instead of nothing.

17. Replace any portraits with your own. Pay close attention to the image format. If I remember correctly, you need to make sure you replace the images with indexed pngs, making sure there's 16 colors or less. If you have an incompatible image format, depending on what format you give it, either the program won't behave properly, or there will be graphical issues in-game.

18. In Sky Editor, save the project again. When writing these instructions, Sky Editor crashed here. Saving often means less waiting on ndstool.

19. Click "Build" on the menu bar.

20. Wait for it to finish processing. Don't do anything with DS ROM Patcher. It's processing, even though it has terrible feedback.

21. You should now have a mod pack installer. In the directory you stored your project in, there's 2 files you'll care about. PatchedRom.nds is the output of the previous 20 steps. There's also a zip file that can be used to distribute your ROM hack, if you so choose.

22. In Sky Editor, you can test your ROM using DeSmuMe (included) by clicking Run on the menu bar.

If you don't mind, I'd love to see your custom Buneary portraits. I may include it in a future mod or modpack, if that's OK with you.

I've actually been working polishing this very thing! (Well, not for Buneary, but you get the idea.)

Please follow these instructions:

1. Download the latest version of Sky Editor: http://dl.uniquegeeks.net/Sky Editor 11-12-15.zip

Keep in mind this is an alpha. Doing anything

2. Once it's downloaded, use right-click > Properties > General > Security > Unblock. Then unzip the zip.

3. Open SkyEditor.exe.

4. File > New > Project. Call it whatever you want, store it in any folder, and select GenericNDSModProject as the project type. Then click OK.

5. Browse to any Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky ROM. Region shouldn't matter, it has been tested on US and EU ROMs.

6. Wait until ndstool is done unpacking (when you see "Ready" at the bottom of the window).

7. Use File -> Save -> Project. This will prevent you from having to unpack the ROM again if something goes wrong. To reopen the project, use File -> Open -> Open (Auto-Detect Game).

8. In the Files tool window to the right, expand [DIR], right-click "Mods", and choose "Add File".

9. Name it whatever you want, and choose the type "KaomadoNDSMod".

10. Wait until you see "Ready" at the bottom of the window.

11. Repeat step 8 and 9, but choose the type "SkyStarterMod" this time.

12. Expand [DIR]/Mods/(Whatever you named it in 11)/, and double click "Starter Pokemon".

13. Edit your player and partner choices to your liking. If you want to play as Buneary, change everything in the player tab to Buneary. This will guarantee you get that Pokemon.

14. When you're done, use File -> Save -> Save File

15. Outside of the program, navigate to where you stored the project. Then open Mods/(Whatever you named it in 9)/Pokemon/Portraits

16. Navigate to the folder of your choosing. Buneary's is "0469_buneary". In the background, step 9 added duplicate portraits for every emotion, so the default portrait would be shown instead of nothing.

17. Replace any portraits with your own. Pay close attention to the image format. If I remember correctly, you need to make sure you replace the images with indexed pngs, making sure there's 16 colors or less. If you have an incompatible image format, depending on what format you give it, either the program won't behave properly, or there will be graphical issues in-game.

18. In Sky Editor, save the project again. When writing these instructions, Sky Editor crashed here. Saving often means less waiting on ndstool.

19. Click "Build" on the menu bar.

20. Wait for it to finish processing. Don't do anything with DS ROM Patcher. It's processing, even though it has terrible feedback.

21. You should now have a mod pack installer. In the directory you stored your project in, there's 2 files you'll care about. PatchedRom.nds is the output of the previous 20 steps. There's also a zip file that can be used to distribute your ROM hack, if you so choose.

22. In Sky Editor, you can test your ROM using DeSmuMe (included) by clicking Run on the menu bar.

If you don't mind, I'd love to see your custom Buneary portraits. I may include it in a future mod or modpack, if that's OK with you.

Thank you! Almost everything was done to the perfection, I say almost, because at the step 20, the SkyEditor for no reason broke up many times, so I can't put the build thing. But that's nothing, cause it deleted my save file. Does it really deletes save files? I tested it on desMuMe, but instead of a Buneary, as I expected, I got a Charmander. Is there something wrong I did?

And, no, I don't mind. You can decide either, I put a screenshot of the portraits here, or I can put each portrait here, so what do you want?

BTW, this is mostly likely a reward for helping me xD. Also I must say that I didn't originally made the portraits, you can find them here: http://fatefulsprites.deviantart.com/art/PMD-Buneary-Expressions-151289092

And, with the help of other portraits, I made the rest, cause it needed more expressions.

Just wondering, you had trouble unpacking or repacking the portraits ?

Could you make a list of the steps you've followed ? Its just that I'm looking to get rid of any possible bugs, and possibly make the instructions a bit clearer in the future.

Just wondering, you had trouble unpacking or repacking the portraits ?

Could you make a list of the steps you've followed ? Its just that I'm looking to get rid of any possible bugs, and possibly make the instructions a bit clearer in the future.

Well, thank you, but evandixon already answered me. I have another question, which I already posted it, but I'm waiting for his answer, cause he is offline. Can you help me?

Thank you! Almost everything was done to the perfection, I say almost, because at the step 20, the SkyEditor for no reason broke up many times, so I can't put the build thing. But that's nothing, cause it deleted my save file. Does it really deletes save files? I tested it on desMuMe, but instead of a Buneary, as I expected, I got a Charmander. Is there something wrong I did?

And, no, I don't mind. You can decide either, I put a screenshot of the portraits here, or I can put each portrait here, so what do you want?

BTW, this is mostly likely a reward for helping me xD. Also I must say that I didn't originally made the portraits, you can find them here: http://fatefulsprites.deviantart.com/art/PMD-Buneary-Expressions-151289092

And, with the help of other portraits, I made the rest, cause it needed more expressions.

If you do everything except step 17, does it work? I walked through these steps as I wrote them, and got all the way through, but I didn't do step 17 because I didn't have any portraits.

If it does work without replacing any sprites, and doesn't when you replace them, it may mean that the image format isn't right.

I'll do some more testing, see if I can make it break.

Since you got a Charmander instead of a Buneary, that's probably because step 20 failed, which is where all the patching happens. Look in the directory you stored the project in. In the directory where the BaseRom.nds file is, do you see a folder called "ModPack Files"? If so, what's in it?

As for your saves, they should be fine. If you're using DeSmuMe included in Sky Editor, it will look like your saves are gone, because this is a separate instance.

Hmmm... Maybe that's the issue. I'll open them on Photoshop, and count the numbers of the colors it has.

And for the saves, literally they were gone, because I used the normal DesMuMe and I saw that the file was now deleted.

[EDIT]

Yeah, you were right. For some reason, the portraits exceeded 16 colors, even though in Paint, they showed the exact ammount of colors. Now I'm fixing them.

Well, thank you, but evandixon already answered me. I have another question, which I already posted it, but I'm waiting for his answer, cause he is offline. Can you help me?

I know, but I just want to make sure if its a bug or not. I never get any feedback, so its very hard to improve the tool. Which is why I was asking.

But if you don't want to that's fine I guess..

I know, but I just want to make sure if its a bug or not. I never get any feedback, so its very hard to improve the tool. Which is why I was asking.

But if you don't want to that's fine I guess..

It's okay. And, yes, the portraits are the problem.

Speaking of portraits and problems, I technically have one:

This original portrait of Buneary, which I got thanks to the tools:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12733[/ATTACH]

Actually has this palettes (ignore the names, they're in spanish):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12734[/ATTACH]

Which means, it's okay and exact the ammount of pixels? Cause transfering it to the other portraits made them look really weird making them look like this (note, this isn't an actual image, just posting on how it looks):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12735[/ATTACH]

It's a glitch, or the portraits are the problem?

It's okay. And, yes, the portraits are the problem.

Speaking of portraits and problems, I technically have one:

This original portrait of Buneary, which I got thanks to the tools:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12733[/ATTACH]

Actually has this palettes (ignore the names, they're in spanish):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12734[/ATTACH]

Which means, it's okay and exact the ammount of pixels? Cause transfering it to the other portraits made them look really weird making them look like this (note, this isn't an actual image, just posting on how it looks):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12735[/ATTACH]

It's a glitch, or the portraits are the problem?

Apparently your attachments are invalid. I can't see them :/

But, without looking at the images, the correct format for the images is 40x40 pixels, 4bpp (16 colors), png or bmp images.

Also, there's a small catch. For the portraits, the first color in the palette is used as the "transparency color". Its usually set to absolute black, if I remember correctly. So that could be the problem too.

I managed to make it work using Gimp. Image -> Mode -> Indexed..., and set it to 16 colors.

I don't remember how I added kaoutil integration, so png vs bmp may or may not matter. I used png.

I don't know if it matters, but I also saved the image with 0 compression.

YYtSzF0.png?1

I made this using the latest alpha I compiled earlier today. I don't think I changed any file formats for ROM editing, so you should just be able to re-open your project.

Also, updates will be installed automatically. http://dl.uniquegeeks.net/SkyEditor4Alpha/setup.exe

I've attached the image I used (I only added one, just for testing), and the patcher if you're interested.

(And since FatefulSprites asked for credit... image courtesy of FatefulSprites.)

Apparently your attachments are invalid. I can't see them :/

That's weird, I can see them.

Basically the image is there but the palette is screwed up.

0002_GRIN.png

Buneary Edition 1.0.0-alpha 1.zip

0002_GRIN.png.b220f25b937a78461ed8e9754f

Buneary Edition 1.0.0-alpha 1.zip

I managed to make it work using Gimp. Image -> Mode -> Indexed..., and set it to 16 colors.

I don't remember how I added kaoutil integration, so png vs bmp may or may not matter. I used png.

I don't know if it matters, but I also saved the image with 0 compression.

Yep, that's what I do usually.

kaoutil shouldn't care whether the images in the folder are bmps or pngs, or a mix of either. So, if you didn't do anything to validate yourself, it should work.

And compression doesn't matter, png++ is handling the compression automatically.

That's weird, I can see them.

Basically the image is there but the palette is screwed up.

I tried again, and I still can't see them.. :/

Maybe its because you're a mod, and there's some kind of spambot protection on new users ? Because I get :

"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

I tried again, and I still can't see them.. :/

Maybe its because you're a mod, and there's some kind of spambot protection on new users ? Because I get :

"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

I don't know what it is. Last time something like this happened, even Alpha couldn't see them.

I attached the 3rd attachment. The first was the original portrait. The second was his palette.

In other news, I inserted the rest of the portraits, and now ppmd_kaoutil won't repack.

I've attached the images I've used.

Console Output:

C:\Users\Evan\Git\Sky-Editor\Sky Editor Base\bin\x86\Debug\Resources\Plugins\ROM
Editor>ppmd_kaoutil.exe "C:\Users\Evan\Desktop\Sky Projects\Buneary Edition\Mod
s\Portraits\Pokemon\Portraits" test.kao
================================================
== Baz the Poochyena's PMD:EoS Kao util - 0.41 ==
================================================
Utility for unpacking and building kaomado files!

Allocating..
DoPack(): Error: POCO(0) class Poco::Exception
<!>- Packing failed! Aborting !
#Total: Time elapsed : 14ms

Same message with 0.31, which is what's currently included with Sky Editor. I'll make a mental note to update ppmd_kaoutil next update.

badpalette.png

0469_buneary.zip

badpalette.png.f16dd557d666b94744faad88d

0469_buneary.zip

Ok, I found the problem..

Turns out its something really dumb.. I was checking if the target output kaomado file exists before writing the new kaomado file! And there was also an issue when specifying as output path a relative directory with a single level..

I really need to port kaoutil's functionalities to gfxcrunch ASAP. I'm using a much more robust and tested system for checking input/outputs.. Plus it won't need those dumb face names files and etc anymore xD

Here's the temporary link to the fixed 0.42 version !

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13343993/my_pmd_utilities/ppmd_kaoutil_0.42.zip

I'll make a commit later.. But I currently seriously messed up my branches, so it will take me some more time to push the code and make a proper download link.. ^^;

EDIT: Crap.. Now it crashes when the output kaomado file exists.. >_<

There's something really strange going on, or I missed something really obvious..

Remember when I uploaded 0469_buneary.zip? Turns out I still had that zip in the same directory as all the folders. Deleting that made it work in Sky Editor even on version 0.31.

Version 0.42 got to 70-ish% then failed, so I figured something was wrong with the files.

lrhiisD.png?1

I've attached the fruits of everyone's labors... Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, Buneary Edition!

Buneary Edition 1.1.0-alpha 1.zip

Buneary Edition 1.1.0-alpha 1.zip

Seems like you guys solved the problem? or not?...

But, anywats, I appreciate the good work and attention a lot, thank you so much!

But... Since Fateful Sprites only made 6 portraits, did you made the rest? If not, I actually have them.

There's a problem, since I don't have Gimp, and I think Photoshop doesn't display very well the portraits, so... What should I do?

Edit: I actually saw the portraits you did in 0469_buneary.zip, and I pretty much say you did a good job doing these. But, as far as I saw, most of the portraits are missing.

Here's a zip that includes every portrait of Buneary, and I give credit to FatefulSprites, for editing them:

0469_buneary.zip

0469_buneary.zip

Remember when I uploaded 0469_buneary.zip? Turns out I still had that zip in the same directory as all the folders. Deleting that made it work in Sky Editor even on version 0.31.

Version 0.42 got to 70-ish% then failed, so I figured something was wrong with the files.

lrhiisD.png?1

I've attached the fruits of everyone's labors... Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, Buneary Edition!

Nice xD

So, does 0.42 works after you deleted the zip, or is it still crashing? I guess I might not be checking whether a file is actually a directory and not a file.. sigh..

Getting feedback is nice xD

Seems like you guys solved the problem? or not?...

But, anywats, I appreciate the good work and attention a lot, thank you so much!

But... Since Fateful Sprites only made 6 portraits, did you made the rest? If not, I actually have them.

There's a problem, since I don't have Gimp, and I think Photoshop doesn't display very well the portraits, so... What should I do?

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

;)

EDIT:

Also all the portraits in the zip you linked are 24bpp. I don't know if you intended to make them 4bpp, or just wanted to post them like that though.

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

;)

EDIT:

Also all the portraits in the zip you linked are 24bpp. I don't know if you intended to make them 4bpp, or just wanted to post them like that though.

Thank you so much again! But, what do you mean the portraits have 24bpp? Sorry, since I'm new to this and I barely know anything...

EDIT: Now I found it! I just had to make it have 16 colors instead of 32. That's the problem! Now I'm making them to have 16 colors! Thank you again!