16 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is best: remember your votes are public

• Piplup
    • Chimchar
    • Turtwig
    • Piplup because of evolutions
    • chimchar because of evolutions
    • turtwig because of evolutions

I've seen that lots of people are arguing over which starter is better. Well lets see. Since the poll in that forum wasn't exactly fit for the argument I made this thread. You can vote on which one is the best and try to persuade people that your choice is the best one. Ok then have fun.

I think piplup is the best because

1. Totally cuter then the rest
  2. Water types rock
  3. It helps you with the first gym
  4. it forces you to catch other wild pokemon and train them to cover piplup's weaknesses
  5. Its evolutions rock
  6. the others were not as good
  7. I had a plan for taking down the gyms and piplup was part of it
  8. piplup is like the only actual good water type in the game
  9. there are other good fire types in the game and other good grass types
  10. the second and third members of the elite four use types that are weak to water
  11. lucian would own chimchar's evolutions
  12. flint would own turtwig and evolutions
  13. Piplup was the best sinnoh starter and always will be!

No way, when it comes to the best sinnoh starter

turtwing rules

My reasons

1. Its final form is the best full evolved starter

2. Admittedly, Piplup is the cutest but I'm not 1 for cuteness, I prefer toughness

3. Same as Piplup, its very useful in the 1st gym

4. Its final form is a unique type

5. Its great in a trick room team

6. Its easy to evolve

I could go on but I won't

What! Empoleon is the best full evolved starter! Piplup is easy to evolve too. Plus, not trying to be offensive but piplup, when it evolves it doesn't look fat! Additionally, piplup's basic form of a penguin stays. Turtwig starts too look like landscape who wants a pokemon like that? Plus with the added ground type to grass how is it supposed to take water type moves? Is it a normal thing since the other type is grass?

Piplup rocks just like drifloon

I wish drifloon was a starter!

I've seen that lots of people are arguing over which starter is better. Well lets see. Since the poll in that forum wasn't exactly fit for the argument I made this thread. You can vote on which one is the best and try to persuade people that your choice is the best one. Ok then have fun.

I think piplup is the best because

1. Totally cuter then the rest
  2. Water types rock
  3. It helps you with the first gym
  4. it forces you to catch other wild pokemon and train them to cover piplup's weaknesses
  5. Its evolutions rock
  6. the others were not as good
  7. I had a plan for taking down the gyms and piplup was part of it
  8. piplup is like the only actual good water type in the game
  9. there are other good fire types in the game and other good grass types
  10. the second and third members of the elite four use types that are weak to water
  11. lucian would own chimchar's evolutions
  12. flint would own turtwig and evolutions
  13. Piplup was the best sinnoh starter and always will be!

Ok a lot of these are biased, opinion based or apply to chimchar as well. Infernape can learn Grassknot Killing swampert, whiscash and hippowdon pretty easily, a Swords danced close combat can kill almost anything, even a 252 hp /252 def bold vaporeon has an incredibly high chance of being OHKO'd by a +2 CC with stealth rock damage , so in game it's more than enough to take out whatever you need it to.

Now while Empoleon is a great pokemon, he doesn't become as useful as Chimchar/turtwig do until he gets surf, which is a ways away from the start of the game.

Infernape learns Thunder punch and earthquake so along with his STAB attacks ( fire and fighting ) he can easily take out every gym in the game given you take the time to stop by a movetutor to teach him thunder punch >:|

I don't even like Chimchar/Infernape.

I hate apes, which is a shame, because Chimchar is the best starter to use going through the game.

1. Cuteness is not a factor for me.

2. Water types are okay, I suppose...

3. As long as you evolve Chimchar, it does, too.

4. That's true of any Pokemon.

5. If we're just going by how cool their evolutions are, Turtwig is the best.

6. That's a matter of opinion.

7. I took down every gym with my Monferno/Infernape.

8. What's wrong with Tentacruel?

9. Budew is a good alternative to Turtwig, but there's only one other fire-type line until you beat the Elite Four.

10. Bertha's are all weak against grass, whereas only some are weak against water. You've got a point with Flint.

11. Not if your Infernape owns him first.

12. Actually, with the exception of that Medicham's Ice Punch, Torterra isn't bad against Lucian.

13. Again, a matter of opinion.

You guys are all to technical! Aarg! I love piplup and piplup will totally beat the crud out of the main competitor right now, chimchar. Which is a sign that piplup is superior.

Additionally, who would think that chimchar can learn all of those moves! I was amazed when I found out. I don't think they learn them normally right? Grass knot by TM and Thunderpunch by tutor, I'm not sure about earthquake but I don't think it is a normal level up move. Piplup rules

If drifloon was a starter it would be the best!

@Pokemonfan You can't use the elemental triangle to determine which starter is the best, and actually no infernape beats out Empoleon :/

Closecombat from 307 attack Infernape does a minimum of 266 damage to max def, Impish or bold Empoleon. ( without Life orb or expert belt ) And since infernape learns Close combat AND Mach punch Empoleon stands no chance with it's offensive set,a s it's KO'd first and with its defensive set cant OHKO infernape :/

What if empoleon is a higher level, faster, and uses aqua jet on infernape. That is a water type move and with a higher level empoleon using it odds are infernape is going down. about the elemental triangle thing I guess you are some what correct. Aarg! I hate it when people's points make good ones and they mess up mine!

What if empoleon is a higher level, faster, and -

Thats like saying a Bibarel is better than Darkrai as one is 40 and the others 100 . Normal type is immune to ghost so Darkai at level 40 has a decent chance at being Ko'd by a Bibarel. That doesn't make Bibarel a better pokemon.

The only way I can see Empoleon beating Infernape is in the case of a 252hp/252 special attack set where you expect a close combat from infernape and hit it with a STAB super effective surf after the defense drop from CC. Infernape using earthquake totallty ruins that strategy though. :x But I'm just theorymoning here.

Oh, maybe next time I play I should choose chimchar you are making good points but I'm still going to support piplup!

THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE, VOTE FOR PIPLUP THEN IF IT WINS HANDS DOWN PIPLUP NEEDS SUPPORT! AND STRONG SUPPORT TOO!

If drifloon was a starter it would rock the world

Pokemonfan

Edited by Greencat
Markup

Piplup isn't a bad starter by any means, it just happens to be that until he gets surf he's weaker in comparison to the other two. So in the realm of "starter" pokemon, he doesn't make a good choice if you just want to get through the game quickly or easily, which is the point of debating over a starter pokemon if I'm not mistaken.

You guys are all to technical! Aarg! I love piplup and piplup will totally beat the crud out of the main competitor right now, chimchar. Which is a sign that piplup is superior.

Additionally, who would think that chimchar can learn all of those moves! I was amazed when I found out. I don't think they learn them normally right? Grass knot by TM and Thunderpunch by tutor, I'm not sure about earthquake but I don't think it is a normal level up move. Piplup rules

If drifloon was a starter it would be the best!

Fact is, torterra can own empoleon since his ground type moves hurt empoleon big time plus empoleon isn't that good on def stat not to mention torterra's hig atk stat

The only thing torterra and empoleon are good on are they are both good in a trick room team

NO! not another chimchar supporter! Aaarg! I cant deal with all your excellent points. Well as of this post here are the standings of the voters:

Chimchar: (winning unfortanetly) with 5 votes

Piplup: 2nd with 3 votes

Turtwig in last with 1 vote

Come on people piplup is the way to go!

If drifloon was a starter it would rock the world way better then any starter ever has

Pokemonfan

No I will discuss! Turtwig is the underdog on this forum. So far he is in last! Tied for last. Looks like your twig is going to be ashes and I'm going to have a piplup with burns. Because Chimchar is wiping the floor with both of the other starters.

As of this post:

Chimchar: 6

Piplup:3

Turtwig:3

If drifloon was a starter it would rock the world way better then any starter ever has!

Pokemonfan

Turtwig.png

1234056731_piplup3.gif

countdown-to-diamond-and-pearl-20070314025555501.jpg

Edited by pokemonfan
adding something without double posting

No I will discuss! Turtwig is the underdog on this forum. So far he is in last! Tied for last. Looks like your twig is going to be ashes and I'm going to have a piplup with burns. Because Chimchar is wiping the floor with both of the other starters.

As of this post:

Chimchar: 6

Piplup:3

Turtwig:3

If drifloon was a starter it would rock the world way better then any starter ever has!

Pokemonfan

Turtwig.png

1234056731_piplup3.gif

countdown-to-diamond-and-pearl-20070314025555501.jpg

My Turtwig ownes every single Pokémon.

I'm sure of it!

Turtwig is the best Pokémon there is!