Making an "All-Around" Team

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just gonna rate your entire team for simplicity without going in-depth.

Vaporeon

Dragonite

Machamp

T-tar

Weavile

ASSchomp

Here's the deal. First of all, Weavile fails in Platinum. He doesn't have the power to tank down most threats anymore. Weavile has only ONE usage, and thats an anti-lead. He sort of behaves like Aerodactyl. He can use fake-our and taunt which is very nice, not to mention having a STAB Pursuit. Basically, if you really, really want to use Weavile, expect not to have a stealth rock lead.

Vaporeon is good. Dragonite is good as well, but keep Latias in mind as well. She is like him in a lot of ways. Don't expect Machamp to survive a long time. T-tar hurts your entire team with Sandstorm.

Go on smogon.com and browse the OU section. Know what threatens your team.

So it's so-so, then? Vaporeon and Dragonite are definate keepers.

Destati, if not the other four, what might you personally recommend?

I seriously wish I would have known Garchomp is banned...this bites, no pun intended. I enjoyed my Garchomp that I used to train with on Diamond.

It wasn't ban in Diamond. The ban actually happened around the same time Platinum was released, but not as a result of Platinum. And by release I mean the JAPANESE release. In other words, he's been banned since October. Use Smogon.com.

I can't make a team for you. All I can do is rate it. The OU tier are the strongest, most used Pokemon.

*nods* I see. And I have been using Smogon, slightly, because I'm not used to its layout yet. That's where I got the information I have from.

If you say so. I'm just trying to get an opinion outside of my own....I don't trust myself very much.

So it's so-so, then? Vaporeon and Dragonite are definate keepers.

Destati, if not the other four, what might you personally recommend?

I seriously wish I would have known Garchomp is banned...this bites, no pun intended. I enjoyed my Garchomp that I used to train with on Diamond.

Garchomp was extensively tested by Smogon and it was determined that it overcentralized their metagame on Shoddy. Many wi-fi battle communities adopted similar rules, and I've heard of at least 2 communities who banned Garchomp even before Smogon put it up for a vote. It was a ridiculously centralizing Pokemon that basically caused a team to have 2-3 "counters" just to account for it, which leaves your team wide open to a common partner of Garchomp, Tyranitar. That's right. After half of your team is designed to take down Garchomp, your other 3 team members have to take care of the 50 other Pokemon in OU. Sounds fun, right?

The TLDR version is it's typing, almost perfect move pool, ability, and great base stats with a unique base speed, made it one of the most broken Pokemon outside of Wobbuffet.

As for team building, Smogon is a good place to start. But more than a few of their EV spreads are either outdated, suck, or up to personal preference. Read their Introductory guides at the top of their Articles page, and start making changes to their sets first. Soon enough you'll be able to come up with some unique sets of your own.

Garchomp was extensively tested by Smogon and it was determined that it overcentralized their metagame on Shoddy. Many wi-fi battle communities adopted similar rules, and I've heard of at least 2 communities who banned Garchomp even before Smogon put it up for a vote. It was a ridiculously centralizing Pokemon that basically caused a team to have 2-3 "counters" just to account for it, which leaves your team wide open to a common partner of Garchomp, Tyranitar. That's right. After half of your team is designed to take down Garchomp, your other 3 team members have to take care of the 50 other Pokemon in OU. Sounds fun, right?

The TLDR version is it's typing, almost perfect move pool, ability, and great base stats with a unique base speed, made it one of the most broken Pokemon outside of Wobbuffet.

As for team building, Smogon is a good place to start. But more than a few of their EV spreads are either outdated, suck, or up to personal preference. Read their Introductory guides at the top of their Articles page, and start making changes to their sets first. Soon enough you'll be able to come up with some unique sets of your own.

I honestly hadn't heard anything about the Garchomp ban before this. That's for the background information.

It's not that I'm new to competative battle, as my inexperience may seem to imply, it's just that I want to know what qualities make up the best pokemon. What natures (Obviously adamant is a big one, I've learned) what movesets, etc, that make a pokemon well usable in battle.

I've hardly experimented with EV training, and it makes me wish I would have started looking into this kind of thing sooner.

All I ever really wanted, remember, was this

With suggestions I'm looking for EV/IV levels, movesets, possible natures, etc. Anything that will help to give an upper-hand.

Let's just say this has nothing to do with out-of-local-area battling. These pokemon I wish to create are for in-game purposes (Beating the Elite Four? Yes. My game-trained team sucks.) And for against friends and such, more for recreation than for competition.

I'm not looking to be some kind of internet champion, I guess is what I want to say. All I want is to make a high-quality team that can help me out.

As of right now, I have found out natures to use, items, movesets, and EV levels upon my own accord, with everyone's help of urging me to use Smogon (Even though I feel so LOST on that site, I at least try to find my way!)

I just feel like I'm getting run-around here. Not that I want people to do extensive research for me, I'm doing a lot of that already. I've done more research in the past week on pokemon than I have in the past five years. I don't expect myself to be an expert any time soon here.

Now, in regards to that; how would I calculate proper IV levels for the Dragonite and the Vaporeon? I would like to begin mapping out these pokemon for PokeSav, so I can start to transfer them to my game.

Thanks!

Vaporeon

Dragonite

Machamp

T-tar

Weavile

ASSchomp

Is your opener really Vaporeon?

Any team with Ice beam can wipe you clean.

Take out Dragonite and decide between Garchomp or TTar, you don't need both.

I also suggest metagross as your starter with stealth rock or someone with Baton Pass, ninjask is a personal favourite.

Machamp is risque.

Is your opener really Vaporeon?

Any team with Ice beam can wipe you clean.

Take out Dragonite and decide between Garchomp or TTar, you don't need both.

I also suggest metagross as your starter with stealth rock or someone with Baton Pass, ninjask is a personal favourite.

Machamp is risque.

*laughs* It has no structured order yet, Lini. :D I'm workin' on it, trust me I am. I'd like to get everything else out of the way first.

Metagross was one of my next-in-line. I've never personally used one, but I've always wanted to...

Ninjask? *goes to research* I don't even remember what it looks like <.< >.> Dang it, with almost 500 pokemon, I can't keep up in my old age xD I remember back in that day, when I knew every pokemon by name, number, type, etc. I knew everything about the original 150.

As for Machamp...he's my strongest pokemon on my Platinum team. I guess that's why I place the amount of trust in him as I do.

Oh, phew. Bricks were shooting from behind me if Vaporeon was going to be your opener (not my first pick, but with baton pass, he could work).

Metagross is a beast to be honest, my top 5 simply because of the number ways he can be built and how he can jump in in almost any time of the battle. Moveset is delicious and very flexible stats to pull off a lot.

Ninjask is the fastest pokemon in the game, minus Deoxys. If built right, he can get a speed boost and a swords dance in and then baton pass before your opponent knows what happens.

However, if your opponent has taunt, Sandstorm (tyranitar) etc. etc. Don't expect Ninjask to stand for long.

I see, I liked my Machamp because she was a girl, other than that, I just go for Aerodactyl for reliability.

I see, I liked my Machamp because she was a girl, other than that, I just go for Aerodactyl for reliability.

That is win. :D

As for everything else, I'm looking into it. It's good to see others who can relate to my situation.

Here's what I got for my Metagross....

Metagross @ Life Orb + Naughty Nature

moveset:

~ Meteor Mash

~ Earthquake

~ Hidden Power Fire / Shadow Ball

~ Grass Knot / Shadow Ball

EVs:

252 Atk / 124 SpA / 132 Spe

If anyone's got anything better, please notify me *laughs*

Offensive: All offense. Pokemon go in and fight to the death. They mostly rely on speed and physical/special power to get the job done. Salamence, Scizor, etc. Usually use items like the Choice set and life orb.

Stall: Imagine a team that barely attacks, yet is able to own. Thats what stall teams are. These teams rely heavily on synergy, utilizing moves like Stealth Rock, Hail and Toxic to the fullest. One main problem with these teams is that they allow the opponent to set up unless they can roar/whirlwind away. Sometimes all it takes is the defeat of one of these Pokemon to determine the match.

All Around: This style is what most people use. It counters threats while using those same (or similar) threats to fight others.

ALL teams rely on heavy synergy to win, Offensive even more than stall. Offensive teams also rely on Paralysis support, stat up moves and in the event of choice items, being able to hit for neutral damage is more important that aiming for a super effective hit because your assuming the opponent isn't going to switch out ( which they will ) .

Balanced teams rely on Entry hazards and status moves and are essentially a combination of Stall/Offensive. They are at a disadvantage when fighting Pure stall or Pure offensive teams.

The only problem with that is, most people don't know how to build teams and end up with Fail-stall or fail-offensive a lot of the time. Letting well built balanced teams run through them.

Here's what I got for my Metagross....

Metagross @ Life Orb + Naughty Nature

moveset:

~ Meteor Mash

~ Earthquake

~ Hidden Power Fire / Shadow Ball

~ Grass Knot / Shadow Ball

EVs:

252 Atk / 124 SpA / 132 Spe

If anyone's got anything better, please notify me *laughs*

Well , is your metagross going to be a mixed'd sweeper of sorts, a lead, a stat upper ( AGIL GROSS ) ? We can't suggest/correct your sets unless we know what it's role it going to be. It would be better to at least have 6 pokemon your sure you want to use before you start pumping out breeding projects. :kikkoman:

A great all round team would have to be

Charizard: Fire type can inflict huge damage upon grass types which are most commonly encountered, this may also have an after effect on the opponent, burn.

Torterra: Covers variety of pokemon with leaf storm, giga drain and crunch very effective when encounterig rock type pokemon.

Staraptor: A nice addition to the party, with really effective moves such as aerial ace and brave bird.

Giratina: A good pokemon to be used as a distraction to bring out another pokemon with a large supply of HP. And good moves such as dragon claw and earth power.

Electivire: With plenty of HP and some powerful moves this is a good electric type to choose. Move like thunderbolt will almost paralyz the opponent every time. And its giga impact can Ko a pokemon in one attack making this a great addition to your party.

Blastoise: Is a fairly reasonable water type to have, With the heavy hydro pump it can do some serious damage.

^ I personally knew that one n_n I have been researching my banned pokes, I have!

Also, again I feel this should be emphasized...this team is not primarily for competative battle, more of play-battle with friends and elite-four training (probably going to use them to train my poochyena pups when the time comes) but this team is also my first full-blow attempt at POKESAV'ING a legit/legal team with corrected stats in everything.

These babies aren't going to be bred...hecknaw, I don't have the time. I have seven weeks until my life as I know it is over. :]

I'm still young to the ways of competative battle and all, so I don't feel this need to win. I just want to have fun!

We can't suggest/correct your sets unless we know what it's role it going to be. It would be better to at least have 6 pokemon your sure you want to use before you start pumping out breeding projects.

I personally don't know much about roles, and nor do I care as much as their on the offense. And like I said, these pokemon aren't going to bred--pokesav'd

Also, thank you, Guardian, for actually posting some pokemon to look into. I will look into them! ^////^

What would be an example of believeable IVs, like maybe only two in the 31 and fluctuate just below that for the others?

This was talked about in "How to make a LEGAL Pokemon" thread on the old forums, and might've even been referenced on the site at some point.

If you take a look at Smogon's breeding guide, it gives you the odds of breeding for certain IVs under certain circumstances. For example, breeding with 2 parents who have perfect IVs gives you a 1:59916 that the egg will ALSO have perfect IVs. This is due to the mechanics of breeding, which are ridiculous to exlpain.

but the TLDR version is 3 IVs are passed down from the parents and the other 3 are randomly generated.

2-3 31 IVs is pretty much accepted as "common." I've actually caught a number of Pokemon, by chance during a regular Gym/E4 playthrough, with 1, 2, or 3 30-31 IVs.

So while technically 31 IVs in all stats is possible AND legal, it's not very "likely". It also isn't likely to be of much help.

For example, some Pokemon are just so incredibly frail that worrying about HP/DEF/SpDEF is not worth it. These usually fill two roles:

• Suicide leads: These guys start out a game with a focus sash. They usually contain priority moves, Taunt, Stealth Rock, or some form of spikes, some form of set up and team support. They're almost always holding a Focus Sash. Their job is to set up. If they get a hit in, cool. If they don't, whatever. Then they explode or faint. Aerodactyl, Weavile, Infernape, Azelf all fill this role relatively well.
  • Glass Cannons: These are sweepers that can't take hits, at all, or something very calculated. They usually aren't used to directly counter during a battle unless they come in on something they're immune to (Weavile coming in on Psychic, Gengar on Earthquake).

Similarly, if a physical attacker is only attacking, then they don't need to worry about their special attack IV, and vice versa.

Other guys have stats that just aren't worth the effort, or you might even WANT a low IV. Bronzong likes having low speed IVs so Gyro Ball hits hard. Curse users like Snorlax, Torterra, and Tyranitar have crappy speed anyway, so they'll be fine with a speed IV of 3.

It also depends on who you're battling with. If you're battling against the best, like people who post at Smogon, every extra point of IV will help. If you battle more casual players...eh, won't matter as much.

Personally, I try to limit myself to 2-3 31 IVs when hacking, and making everything else at 15 or below. Just to be fair.

Wow, that wasn't meant to be an essay.

TLDR: IVs are important, but not THAT important. They're basically like bonus points. And each Pokemon has unique needs for stats; some want high stats in all; some only need high stats in one or two caregories.

Exactly. That's what I was wondering, so thank you :)

I have to clarify on everything I see a need for, you know *laughs*

And remember, I wasn't on the old forum very long before we switched here....so I'm still like a young toddler learning my ways around the higher-end of the pokemon battling spectrum!

I'm currently looking into Lucario as another add-on for this team. Is this a good choice or no? I've been researching his abilities with speed and attack combined, along with EVs and so forth. I just need to create a decent moveset.

Just a thought.

Edited by Greencat

I'm currently looking into Lucario as another add-on for this team. Is this a good choice or no? I've been researching his abilities with speed and attack combined, along with EVs and so forth. I just need to create a decent moveset.

Just a thought.

Depends on what your team needs the most. The good thing about Lucario is that he can either be a physical or special sweeper... and makes the best Reversaler in the entire game... although that's not his best role. Try out what works best for your team.