Should Future Main Pokemon Games Be On Console or Handheld

Handheld or Console  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Handheld or Console

• Handheld
    • Console
    • Neither..............

Well of course Nintendo is going to make new Pokemon games on the handheld, most defiantly. But do want to see Pokemon on the PS3, or PC. Where the graphics are beautiful, and the Pokemon actually cry out what they are suppose to, not some digital crap from the handheld.

Nintendo doesn't make the core Pokemon games. Game Freak does.

Game Freak has said, many times, that they have no plans to ever make Pokemon for home consoles. Satoshi Tajiri made Pokemon specifically for the Gameboy. And there, and it's advancements such as the DS, it'll stay.

Game Freak has said, many times, that they have no plans to ever make Pokemon for home consoles. Satoshi Tajiri made Pokemon specifically for the Gameboy. And there, and it's advancements such as the DS, it'll stay.

Yeah I'm pretty sure most of us know that. But the title is Should, read it with me Should.

Personally i would like to see at least one Pokemon game on the consoles with beautiful graphics. No I'm not a graphics whore, or whatever you kids call them. Pokemon's 2-Ding isn't even that great, compared Tales of Hearts. Or Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier.

Yeah I'm pretty sure most of us know that. But the title is Should, read it with me Should.

I read it. Don't be a jerk about it.

As I insinuated originally and I'll expand upon now, gamefreak doesn't make the non-DS games. All of the console games are made by licensed 3rd parties, permission via Nintendo. and they've ranged from Mediocre to awful.

What's the point of a console game anyway that the main games aren't doing? Better graphics?

What's the point of a console game anyway that the main games aren't doing? Better graphics?

Yep, I think that's most people's view on it. :tongue:

Yes I will admit that all the 3D ones have been awful so far and are only truly useful in getting moves and pokes onto the handhelds. PBR is only good for the random online battling and Surf Pikachu.

I picked consoles simply because I'd like to see how they'd do it, Game Freak says never but the amount of times I've heard THAT word in gaming before have been too much...

I would like it for more then just the graphics. I would like it so I didn't have to stare at a freaking tiny screen >:C I played the crap out of my gamecube not because of awesome games, but because I was always using the gamecube version of super gameboy for my advance games. Everything from Minish Cap to Pokemon.

Plus, you can have soooo much more in a console game then in a handheld. Think of all the side quests and longer story lines. Heck, you could easily fit all four regions in there will room to spare. The possibilities are near endless in console games.

Game Freak says never but the amount of times I've heard THAT word in gaming before have been too much...

And amen to that. If I had a dime for every time I have heard that from any gaming company *that includes gamefreak*, and they did it anyway, i would be rich. I could be wrong, but didn't gamefreak say they wouldn't be remaking G/S and what comes out in September?

I mean, I know it is only a Dungeon game, but they have already started putting console versions of pokemon onto the Wii. I feel that if all these Wii games take off, they may very well make a console game. I for one would love to have one. AND NOT FOR THE GRAPHICS!

I would like it for more then just the graphics. I would like it so I didn't have to stare at a freaking tiny screen >:C I played the crap out of my gamecube not because of awesome games, but because I was always using the gamecube version of super gameboy for my advance games. Everything from Minish Cap to Pokemon.

Ok, "bigger screen."

Plus, you can have soooo much more in a console game then in a handheld. Think of all the side quests and longer story lines. Heck, you could easily fit all four regions in there will room to spare. The possibilities are near endless in console games.

Possibilities aren't endless. Trading and battling is just not as good, if even existant, on console games compared to the GameFreak made DS ones. Add onto that that Nintendo's Wi-Fi service is very laggy on popular games. Imagine 15 million people trying to trade Pokemon on the Wii?

And amen to that. If I had a dime for every time I have heard that from any gaming company *that includes gamefreak*, and they did it anyway, i would be rich. I could be wrong, but didn't gamefreak say they wouldn't be remaking G/S and what comes out in September?

You're very likely wrong. Unless you live in Japan and/or speak Japanese, you've probably never read anything official from Game Freak.

Part of Pokemon's appeal is the connectivity it has to everyone else that plays it. Currently, the interactivity that is done on the DS just can't be done on consoles. Add onto that the relative inexpensive games compared to console versions, and that is the basis of Pokemon.

And a personal appeal of Pokemon is it's a game you can pick up, play for 5 minutes, save, and pick right back up where you left off in an hour, day, or whatever. A console game does not have that option.

And then actually suggesting Game Freak, a company that has only produced for handheld Nintendo systems, to drop everything and start learning how to produce for a completely new system? That's a steep learning curve and isn't worth it besides the semi-ridiculous "all regions in one game" notion.

I think it would be wise for them to develop a console RPG in the main series that has similar gameplay to games released on the handheld, but with more impressive graphics and more advanced wifi capabilities.

I think it would be wise for them to develop a console RPG in the main series that has similar gameplay to games released on the handheld, but with more impressive graphics and more advanced wifi capabilities.

Well yes. It is about time they made another RPG game. Darkness was released in 2005. Then in 2007 came Battle Revolution. So i would say it is time to make another one. I personally did not like Revolution. However given the fact that Nintendo developed so many Mystery dungeon games and Scramble! i feel sorry to say that i do not see any Pokemon disc related games in the near future...

^ Exactly. Its what ive been longing for in a really long time -_- A nice pokemon game (for god sakes anything will do as long as its not on the Wii!!!!!!!) would make me buy that console...nothing from Nintendo though =/. If the Xbox comes up with a Pokemon game...I swear ill switch to supporting it rather than the PS3. My fave game, Tekken 6 (Bloodline Rebellion) is already comming on the Xbox so i wouldnt care on which console i played it as long as i could play it!! Loads of people want to have a game as good as Pokemon, on the console they use to play other epic games.

Cmon you fools!!!! :mad: MAKE A DARN GAME FOR THE HARDCORE GAMERS!!!! DONT YOU SEE THE MONEY YOU COULD MAKE YOU FREAKIN NOOBS???!!!!! $_$

^ Exactly. Its what ive been longing for in a really long time -_- A nice pokemon game (for god sakes anything will do as long as its not on the Wii!!!!!!!) would make me buy that console...nothing from Nintendo though =/. If the Xbox comes up with a Pokemon game...I swear ill switch to supporting it rather than the PS3. My fave game, Tekken 6 (Bloodline Rebellion) is already comming on the Xbox so i wouldnt care on which console i played it as long as i could play it!! Loads of people want to have a game as good as Pokemon, on the console they use to play other epic games.

Cmon you fools!!!! :mad: MAKE A DARN GAME FOR THE HARDCORE GAMERS!!!! DONT YOU SEE THE MONEY YOU COULD MAKE YOU FREAKIN NOOBS???!!!!! $_$

lol

You seriously think there's even a slight chance a Pokemon game would be developed on a non-Nintendo console?

I mean, at least the whole "all regions in one game/RPG/whatever" as some basis in reality as they are theoretically possible ideas.

That, however, is so high unlikely that it's safe to say it would never happen.

For the "hardcore gamers"/ So much money? You do know Pokemon is already a huge cash cow, the second biggest video game franchise, period. And it's appeal is how it gets young audiences and casual gamers.

If you're looking for a game for the "hardcore gamer", you're playing the wrong game.

Goldgross randomspot555 just repeated what i said. Nintendo has sales over twice more than Sony or Xbox. Pokemon will never go to be a Sony game, i am sorry but Nintendo is the creator of Pokemon, (as you probably know) and making a Pokemon game for the competition be suicidal for the money flow of Nintendo. And as he stated again:

You do know Pokemon is already a huge cash cow, the second biggest video game franchise, period.

And Partially on topic: I am excited about the Scramble and Mystery Dungeon games.

However be it as it may a good to implement a MD game on the Wii, i think this type is better on a hand-held device.

still i would love to play it once on pc why? because pc is the best platform for games.

their made on it and they should be played on it.

also online game play would get a huge increase (imagine.. massive poke battles)

but rpg type of games like the pokemon we know is best on handheld

still i would love to play it once on pc why? because pc is the best platform for games.

Games?

Not Pokemon.

Pokemon's basis is it's appeal to massive amounts of people. If I buy a DS and a DS game, I can play that game.

If I buy a computer and a game, I'll have to install it and hope it meets the minimum requirements. And even then, it could be a sub-par experience.

And that's only if it meets the minimum requirements. Otherwise I can't play it at all.

And god forbid if I want to have a good experience with online play.

And it completely destroys the portability and generally how inexpensive DS games are.

also online game play would get a huge increase (imagine.. massive poke battles)

lol (see above)

There is a downside and and upside to everything Random. Not everyone likes the console games or the dungeon games, but they still sell so they still make them. I think it would be a worth while investment to make a console game. Not everyone cares about portability and all that other jazz. And just because it is the second largest selling game doesn't mean they wont try to bleed it dry. One day, it will fall from its place at the top and when that happens they will try everything they know to get as much money out of the franchise has possible. Nothing is left to die with honor in the business world.

I am not saying that we will see a console game tomorrow or in the near future, but I think it will happen. Money talks, and if they think it will benefit to make a console game they will imo and I think they should.

Not everyone likes the console games or the dungeon games, but they still sell so they still make them.

Ok, thanks for stating the obvious.

The console games they do release exist to fill a role that the main Pokemon games can't.

Anything else is basically asking for a Wii version of the DS game, which is pointless.

Not everyone cares about portability and all that other jazz.

It's one of the core aspects of Pokemon. Portable consoles and their games are much cheaper and are usually more friendly to the player. I can pick up Pokemon Platinum, play it for 5 minutes, save and then go about my day. For a console game, it'll probably take 5 minutes just to actually start playing the game.

And just because it is the second largest selling game doesn't mean they wont try to bleed it dry.

Again, thanks for stating the obvious?

Just because they can release something doesn't mean it should be released. A console game like this thread talks about not only would be pointless, but would also be bad, since Game Freak doesn't make home console games, and are on the record for never doing so.

One day, it will fall from its place at the top and when that happens they will try everything they know to get as much money out of the franchise has possible.

Again, stating the obvious. It's the equivalent of "the sun will burn out!" It's factually true, but it's so far in the future that it's pointless to bring up.

Pokemon shows 0 signs of dying out. Mario has been around twice as long, as well as the Simpsons. James Bond has been around for even longer.

Mario has been around twice as long, as well as the Simpsons. James Bond has been around for even longer.

And what wonderful mario games we have now >.> Nothing like tennis and football. And here I thought Mario rescued princess's from a crazy love struck dino. My bad. Oh and didn't the Simpsons creators say they would never make a movie? That must have been a fake movie I saw in the theaters then.

I can see it now. Pokemon Tennis. Or how about, Pokemon Cooking. We already had puzzle league, so why not. We had that both console and handheld.

But, since I like to state the obvious, I guess your next post will consist of you being right and everyone else being wrong with about ten quotes. Please tell me how wrong I am for having a view different from yours.

And what wonderful mario games we have now >.>

Mario Galaxy?

You point out all the crappy games out for console versions of Pokemon, so why would you want ANOTHER one?

Any franchise has a bunch of crap games in it. Any console ever produced probably has about 66% (and that's a generous estimate) of complete crap that has no redeemable quality whatsoever. But the Pokemon games that are universally considered bad can almost always be traced to one thing: They're third party produced games that have little or nothing to do with the main ones. Just like outside of the core Mario games, there's no real plot or story to them, it's just an activity (Kart, tennis, golf, etc..)

Pokemon console games have ranged from mediocre to horrible. The main reason, IMO, is because GameFreak doesn't make them, and they've said in no uncertain terms that unless the home console drastically changes how they interact with other players, they never will. And even if they did, they would have to spend a lot of time and effort re-learning how to make Pokemon games for a home console.

So yeah, if you want Pokemon Tennis/racing/whatever, you should totally advocate for console games. But the best selling Pokemon games, and the most consistent quality wise, are the ones produced by Game Freak on the hand held. Satoshi Tajiri was inspired to make Pokemon based on how interactive features of the Game Boy could be used. And for better or for worse, Nintendo home consoles don't provide that level of interactivity.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, that's all I'm saying.

• 1 year later...
Well of course Nintendo is going to make new Pokemon games on the handheld, most defiantly. But do want to see Pokemon on the PS3, or PC. Where the graphics are beautiful, and the Pokemon actually cry out what they are suppose to, not some digital crap from the handheld.

I agree, it would definitely be cool with the actual Pokemon sounds and better graphics. But handhelds are nice because it's portable.

• 4 weeks later...

Since pup brought this thread back from 09.. I'll say that I"m excited to see what they're going to do with the 3DS. I think it's got a lot of potential and the processing power is really good. I'm not sure I'd sit and play in 3D for hours, but I think it will be interesting to see what they do with it. It's kind of funny thinking about where handheld/consoles were at when this thread started and where they are today.