What are your thoughts on the new female character?

FLOOTENKERP

What are your thoughts on the new female character?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on the new female character?

• I like her, she looks like she will make a good addition to the game.
    • I absolutely hate this girl. She looks like Mario and doesn't look appealing at all.
    • I don't care.

What are your thoughts on the new female character? As we all know, HG and SS have a new female playable character. I personally think that this new girl is fine, but I would have preferred Kris, but I do not really care since I always choose male. What do you guys think of her?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I see some evidence to support it being Kris, I really don't think it is her. Why would they drastically change her design when the male, while updated, is basically the same?

Just look in the spoilers for what I mean.

Gold is pretty much the same. His hat ans shirt are the same, just slimmed down, his shoes are still red and white, and he still wears shorts, just all black now. He even has the same exact hair, black shirt under the hoodie, and the pokegear in the same spot.

HeartGold_SoulSilver_Gold.pngGold1.png

Silver is almost exactly the same too. Same concept of jean pants, black shoes, and a shirt with red accents. Except this time his shirt is a dark blue instead of black and we are missing the insignia. His hair is slightly less poofy, but otherwise the same.

HeartGold_SoulSilver_Silver.pngGold_Silver_Silver.png

Now compare the Crystal Art of Kris to the new HG/SS art of the new character referred to as Soul. There is a huge difference between the two when you consider how little Ken changed Gold and Silver. None of the cloths are the same except maybe that they are both wearing shorts. The hair, even though both have pig tails, is different as well and not just in color. Kris has blue eyes while Soul has brown. They don't even carry the pokegear in the same place.

HGSSSoul.png155px-Game_character_kris.png

In my opinion, this character is NOT Kris. And I am being honest when I say its not because I think she is ugly and just don't want to admit it is Kris. Honestly the character looks fine to me. There is just to drastic of a difference between this art and Kris' Crystal art.

Soul looks fine to me, I don't see what the whole hubbub is about.

I'll be playing as Gold anyway, so it doesn't make a lick of difference to me anyway.

Those haven't been confirmed as their names, by the way.

If you played on HeartGold, and chose the girl character, don't you think the suggested name would be Gold?

Also, there have been MANY screenshots released where the Boy character has been referred to as Soul.

They don't have a specific name.

While I see some evidence to support it being Kris, I really don't think it is her. Why would they drastically change her design when the male, while updated, is basically the same?

In my opinion, this character is NOT Kris. And I am being honest when I say its not because I think she is ugly and just don't want to admit it is Kris. Honestly the character looks fine to me. There is just to drastic of a difference between this art and Kris' Crystal art.

They seem to do this for remakes. The girl changes fashion entirely, while the guy is just updated, and I guess they toss a coin to decide who's hair becomes brown. The girl character in FRLG was already designed once in Gen 1. The gender choice was originally planned and dropped from the original games, then planned again for Gen 2, but dropped until Crystal.

16641584.png

This may end up getting me in trouble as part of the argument, but without being unable to sound sexist, they ARE girls, stereotyped as liking clothes and shopping. Tons of outfits, different styles. It makes for sense for the girls to be redesigned with today's fashions in Japan as a marketing tool to appeal to the the girls that like them. The boys aren't really going to care what their guy character looks like anyway, they want the little monsters in balls that can be thrown out and beat each other up. Sure they may have an opinion on him, but its not really going to matter. lol

(Still don't know why she has that hat though... gah.)

They seem to do this for remakes. The girl changes fashion entirely, while the guy is just updated, and I guess they toss a coin to decide who's hair becomes brown. The girl character in FRLG was already designed once in Gen 1. The gender choice was originally planned and dropped from the original games, then planned again for Gen 2, but dropped until Crystal.

16641584.png

This may end up getting me in trouble as part of the argument, but without being unable to sound sexist, they ARE girls, stereotyped as liking clothes and shopping. Tons of outfits, different styles. It makes for sense for the girls to be redesigned with today's fashions in Japan as a marketing tool to appeal to the the girls that like them. The boys aren't really going to care what their guy character looks like anyway, they want the little monsters in balls that can be thrown out and beat each other up. Sure they may have an opinion on him, but its not really going to matter. lol

(Still don't know why she has that hat though... gah.)

That girl was from the manga... her name was Blue (while your rival was named Green). She's supposed to be a klepto who stole Professor Oak's Squirtle. I guess Leaf's design is based off Blue (Leaf is her name in FRLG... no clue why).

I'm not so sure about the new female character though... looks too much like Mario... and doesn't seem to be Kris to me... not that I care much or anything...

I read Pokemon Special, I know the plot and who is who. But that has nothing to do with my statement above.

The trio artwork is from Ken Sugimori, before the manga started. While the manga based Blue on the artwork of the unimplemented female player, its obvious where where it came from first. As in the manga, Yellow has been stated multiple times in interviews to be the first of the main characters that was created by Mato, as they had already used the original 3 kids. My statement above is based solely on the games and Sugimori's work.

BTW, how does the trio art look anything like Mato's art style to have you bring up the Pokemon Special manga? Sugimori and Mato have really different styles. O.o

44654938.png

While they might change the clothing to be more "updated", I really doubt a typical female reaction when buying Pokémon games is

"Ew, this girl's clothing is, like, ohmaigawd, soooo ugly. I can't be caught playing a character with such hideous fashion sense. Def not a buy."

xP

While there might be a hate-club, I doubt it's REALLY going to affect female Pokémon fans from buying it. As stated, the focus is on the monsters in the balls beating each other up, and underneath it, the storyline...Which I don't think many people pay too much attention to. There isn't anything focusing on changing clothing in the game, so it shouldn't be a factor in buying...

It might turn off NEW fans of the series, but typically, new fans are children and don't have much care for fashion as they might when older.

On topic though... I can tell she's based on Kris, and that there are a few similarities... But there are a lot of differences. They don't even have the same basic colour designs. Not just the whole blue hair thing, but the clothing too. I'm going to assume this is most likely not Kris until we get some more confirmation. If the rival keeps his red hair, then Kris probably would keep her blue hair.

I also honestly don't really care what the character looks like... I didn't even notice the "ugliness" until I had it mentioned to me. Her look doesn't exactly appeal to me, but I guess she's kind of cute in a weird way. It won't affect my gaming at all.

You've got it totally backwards. It's not that girls will choose to not buy the game if the girl character has bad fashion, it's if she does that will attract them to buy it. You have no idea of how strong the power of what is "in" in Japan really is.

So by appealing to what is currently cool, there will be girls that are drawn in because of that.

I didn't mean it as the only factor, we're only talking about the girl character and thats the only part that applied to her in marketing. And you're interpreting it to widely. I probably should have specified, but I figured it was unnecessary.

Guested has already said that overalls are very in fashion for girls of practically any age below 30 (ballpark) in Japan right now. Pokemon is marketed towards young children, and Nintendo takes full advantage of kids impressionable minds. You say little girls don't have any interest in fashion, but all the ones I know prove otherwise. They always want those gaudy plastic rings, new clothes, their mothers makeup, and being able to dress up like a princess. Even little girls like cute items and fashion, even if they actually have zero fashion sense themselves. Most of them have their Barbies and other dress up dolls, or whatever the Japanese equivalent is.

Nintendo uses the clothes that are popular in the current culture to entice. Kids are also greedy, and if they see something they want with a popular item, they'll bug there parents till they get it, and Nintendo pockets more cash. This is practically Marketing 101, and thinking that Nintendo ISN'T doing this is crazy. lol It's all about bringing new customers with what is hip and trendy.

Now I'm not saying this is a huge part of the marketing like you seem to think I'm saying, but money and effort do go into this. You really shouldn't be surprised how much attention is payed to the little details like this by a big company, just so they can make more money. It is ALL about the money.

Older kids, and the other demographics aren't as easily influenced purely by the visuals like little kids (why do you think they make coloring books, and picture books =P), they care about features, where a LOT more of their time, money, research and development go into. As for the players clothes turning you away from a series you like, that's asinine IMO. lol

EDIT: Damnit, beat by Guested, and with a lot fewer words. -.-

I still say its Crys even if she was extremely overhauled. The hair color change has now been done to a main character in every remake, so I hardly count that against her, it keeps the same basic style, and if it wasn't Crys there would be no reason to do so. As for her supposed name, it will probably be Heart in Gold and Soul in Silver, and while Crys may not be the name on top of the list, I'd bet it'll at least be on the list. (Though as Kris, which makes less sense to me, when the other characters are named after their game title and he spelling is nowhere near it. lol)

See, but your example of the old art work from R/B too the girl character in FR/LG doesn't have as drastic a change. Like I said, its not just the cloths, its the hair and eyes as well. They didn't change the hair color of the r/b girl in FR/LG. They both have long brown hair.

I wouldn't care if they put Kris in overalls and that god awful hat. Go for it if you think it will sell more games. But the change of hair/eyes doesn't make me think Kris anymore :/ It's not like having funny colored hair is new in japanese games/manga/anime. We''ll just have to wait and see.

EDIT: In regards to the Ken/Mato style argument, style has nothing to do with a character design. Just because I draw a realistic looking charizard vs a cartoony one, doesn't make it less of a charizard. The trio art you posted and the art of Red from pokemon special have a very similar design. *IE turned around red hat, red short sleave shirt, black shirt, jeans etc* The style doesn't change that fact. The rival and girl character also match Green and Blue.

See, but your example of the old art work from R/B too the girl character in FR/LG doesn't have as drastic a change. Like I said, its not just the cloths, its the hair and eyes as well. They didn't change the hair color of the r/b girl in FR/LG. They both have long brown hair.

I wouldn't care if they put Kris in overalls and that god awful hat. Go for it if you think it will sell more games. But the change of hair/eyes doesn't make me think Kris anymore :/ It's not like having funny colored hair is new in japanese games/manga/anime. We''ll just have to wait and see.

EDIT: In regards to the Ken/Mato style argument, style has nothing to do with a character design. Just because I draw a realistic looking charizard vs a cartoony one, doesn't make it less of a charizard. The trio art you posted and the art of Red from pokemon special have a very similar design. *IE turned around red hat, red short sleave shirt, black shirt, jeans etc* The style doesn't change that fact. The rival and girl character also match Green and Blue.

But that's just it, you are missing the point. That's why I showed both of the genders. While the girl didn't get the hair color change, the guy DID. So are you saying, that because the male FRLG player changed his hair color, that its not Red? Its now a standard that the girls in remakes get an outfit change to something similar to what is popular at the time, as well as one of the character getting a hair color change. (This may change if a Hoenn remake is made and contradicts this at a later date.) Last time it was Red, this time it was Crys, it wouldn't be fair to keep altering genetic traits of the same gender each remake.

As for your bit on Mato and Sugimori, its two totally different things that we're trying to get across. We're having a discussion about Sugimori's designs on the girl from HGSS, and by comparison, the girl from FRLG. Sugimori drew the character art first as designs for the game, which came before the manga. I was simply wondering why the manga was even brought up when the game version of the characters were being discussed. That girl is a Ken Sugimori character, even if not implemented until a later generation remake with a new design, and not only Blue from the manga. I'm not at all disputing the fact that the characters look similar to each other, sometimes exact copies, becuase like 90% of Pokemon Special characters are based on Sugimori art.

I'm a bit in the borderline. I'm going to be a bit different and say that she looks somewhat like a Fire Emblem goddess with Dawn's fashion sense and other Pokémon-style props. She's not too bad, though, but she doesn't really appeal to me as much as she did in Crystal, although, to be blunt, she didn't really appeal to me at all to begin with- no offense to others.

Yeah, hah. Sorry if my post payed too much attention to that. I blame lack of sleep.

But you're basically saying that at least part of the reason a girl would get the game without previous knowledge of it is purely because the character has cool clothing.

I guess it IS a cultural barrier thing... It doesn't really make sense to me. :P I know the importance of keeping their looks updated, but...

Either that, or my inability to understand the stereotypical female mind. X_x

Waaaaaait. You said there was a hair colour change in a male? I don't see one, unless you mean black to brown... The older hair looks kinda brown tinged though.

Those haven't been confirmed as their names, by the way.

If you played on HeartGold, and chose the girl character, don't you think the suggested name would be Gold?

Also, there have been MANY screenshots released where the Boy character has been referred to as Soul.

They don't have a specific name.

It's the term I have been using, as I see that 'Gold' belongs to the male protagonist while 'Silver' goes to your rival, take into consideration I usually call them by their manga names. But since we don't know if this is 'Crystal/Krys' yet, 'Soul' seems appropriate, much like how the girl for for FR/LG was named 'Leaf' when in fact she was actually 'Blue' from the manga.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all.

She is Crys, just with a horrible hat

This character's hat is the best hat ever and clearly the most amazing hat ever made or designed. ;)

and a dye job

Kris was the one with the dyed hair; people aren't born with blue hair.

Anyways, the hat is awesome and all pokemon characters should wear a hat like that. Even Giovanni.

I voted for "I don't care" as I never played Crystal and the female character from that game looked silly anyways.