XY Event - Movie Ticket Darkrai (Japan)

Guested

According to messages coming in from places like the Daisuki Club newsletter and Holocaster, the event pokemon for advance ticket purchases will be determined by a poll. The polling runs until Feb 10 and the choices are Jirachi, Manaphy, Victini, or Darkrai. Players can vote online here http://www2.pokemon-movie.jp/tickets_pokemonVote/

Or at other events happening like World Hobby Fair, at Pokemon Centers, via a postcard contained in Corocoro.... etc etc etc.

• 1 month later...

Darkrai has won the voting and will be distributed to everyone who preordered a ticket for the 17th movie.

It can be received via a serial code which you can find on the preordered ticket.

So far this are the known information.

Pokemon: Darkrai

Level: 50

OT: ふしぎのくに

ID: 04194

Ability: Bad Dreams

Nature: Random

Moves:

Dark Void

Dark Pulse

Phantom Force

Dream Eater

Item: Enigma Berry

Pokeball: Cherish Ball

Ribbon: Wishing RIbbon

Dates: 19th April 2014 - 30th September 2014

Game Distribution: X/Y

Distribution Type: Serial Code

Distribution Location:

Sources: Official site

Edited by BlackShark

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there, new to the site and wasn't able to find the answer I'm looking for, so I'm hoping you can help out.

I will be in Japan during the time when the movie promotion for Diance is occurring. Is it possible for me to use my American version of Pokemon Y to get the Diance from the movie event (or the Darkrai from preordering a ticket, for that matter)? If not, could I purchase a Japanese cartridge and use it on my American 3DSXL?

Thanks for any info you can give about this event.

You will not be able to receive Darkrai on your American game.

You will not be able to use a Japanese game with an American 3DS.

It is actually possible to use a Japanese carts on an American 3DS, but only if you have one running firmware 4.x and have the appropriate software mod installed. With that being said, you are still bound by the region of the 3DS as to which eShop it connects to. The Pokemon patches have been confirmed to be universal, so you are OK there. However, I do not know if the Pokemon game servers follow that same restriction (I have not tried it with a Japanese cart.) I would think that the region lock still applies and the game will be essentially treated as an American region game due to the 3DS region.

With all of that being said, as long as the Diancie is not distributed as a code based event like Darkrai, you will probably be able to download it no matter what region 3DS and cart that you use. Events distributed through the Pokemon Centers (like the new Battle Championship) are not region locked (I can personally confirm this as I have traded for many of them that are not Powersaved and dumped them via PKHeX which shows the region as NA in origin.) There have been other past events that occur outside the PC's that have followed a no region lock pattern as well. In the end, you will not know until the event actually launches.

I would think that the region lock still applies and the game will be essentially treated as an American region game due to the 3DS region.

I downloaded the Japanese rom to run on Gateway and played.

When I extracted the Pokemon, the indicated region was "US" (yes, I'm not referring to language. I'm referring to game region)

So you're right.

I'd hardly call using a pirate cart to get access to an event for another region when a real game can't a legitimate way to get the event.

You can run the physical cart from another region as long as the software exploit is installed and therefore are not using a "pirate cart" or ROM.

I also used to import Pokemon from Japan on the DS (even after they pulled off the pseudo-region lock on the DSi) to play the game early and to get the exclusive Wi-Fi events that used to come out stateside months later. Does that make my Pokemon or events any less legit?

I know that, in this instance, the Pokemon Wi-Fi server that the game connected to for Mystery Gifts was tied to the cart region and not the DS region. Since I did not import X/Y, I'm not certain if that is still the case. My gut says that it is dictated by the 3DS region now, but I have no proof. In the end though, if the Diancie give away isn't region locked and is accessible to all regions, it really becomes a moot point.

You can run the physical cart from another region as long as the software exploit is installed and therefore are not using a "pirate cart" or ROM.

I also used to import Pokemon from Japan on the DS (even after they pulled off the pseudo-region lock on the DSi) to play the game early and to get the exclusive Wi-Fi events that used to come out stateside months later. Does that make my Pokemon or events any less legit?

I know that, in this instance, the Pokemon Wi-Fi server that the game connected to for Mystery Gifts was tied to the cart region and not the DS region. Since I did not import X/Y, I'm not certain if that is still the case. My gut says that it is dictated by the 3DS region now, but I have no proof. In the end though, if the Diancie give away isn't region locked and is accessible to all regions, it really becomes a moot point.

It doesn't matter if you only need to use the thing once - you're using a third-party unofficial (and illegal in some countries) device to get whatever exploit in the first place. As I had previously implied, if you can't get the event on a retail, unmodified game and console, then it's not legitimate. You know, because obtaining something that can't be obtained without hacking is totally legitimate, right? All it takes is one use of third-party unofficial hardware to get non-JP Mew from Emerald, or Hall of Origin Arceus, etc.

And yes, Gateway is a pirate cart. Unlike DS flashcarts, it was sold as a ROM loader from the beginning, offering no native means of booting homebrew, or even ROM dumping support. You can't even fall back onto the excuse of dumping carts you physically own and playing off of the backups because VERY few people had the capability to dump their 3DS games before 2.0. People had to modify their booting program to get anything out of it other than piracy.

Importing retail JP carts of previous gen Pokémon games is completely different, since 1) previous generations didn't track your DS region, 2) it's an actual, official game cart, and 3) an older DS console, which does not have region-locking, can play those games/be used to obtain those events. Or did you defeat the region-locking on your DSi for 5th gen games somehow? In that case, a purist would say they're not legitimate.

Since this event appears to be unable to be obtained on non-JP games without some sort of unofficial modification, it doesn't look good for the upcoming JP Diancie event.

Edited by Hozu

First of all, I played my import of B/W on a DS thereby passing the region lock on the DSi for that software (remember the pseudo region lock I mentioned?)

Secondly, how do you know that the Diancie will be region locked? It's not even out dude. We already know that a vast majority of oversees events this gen have not been region locked. If you don't believe it, dump some .pk6 files of some legit ones and look. I've got multiple examples just in the newest PCBC event line that are not Powersaved and have a region other than Japan.

I know that you seem to take your self appointed role as the great determinator of all that is "legit" very seriously on every single forum that you show up on, but this guy asked legit questions that have nothing to do with whether a Pokemon is/was/will be legit.

To review:

1. Darkrai (as well as all serial coded events) - region locked and cannot be bypassed as far as we know.

2. Is is possible to use a cart from another region on your American 3DS - yes, but only under very specific conditions

3. Diancie - We don't know if it will be region locked. You will have to wait for the event to launch. If it isn't, then no extra work is needed. If it is, still not certain if a Japanese cart running on an exploited 3DS will work. Just have to wait and see.

Before making sweeping conclusions about the Diancie event, shouldn't we wait for the event to actually launch?

Defeating any sort of region-locking for 6th gen events doesn't even yield a legal Pokémon, let alone a legitimate one. Anyone can dump the Pokémon as a file and see that some sort of unofficial third-party hardware (ie. a hacking device) was used to get something that can't be obtained by normal use of the hardware/software. Most people would assume Wondercard injection via Powersave; defeating the region-locking in the manner you described would yield the same region data.

In summary, defeating the region-locking to obtain this Darkrai event, or any other region-locked event would yield a Wondercard and Pokémon that isn't even legal, let alone legitimate. As such, neither should be added to the Event database.

Defeating any sort of region-locking for 6th gen events doesn't even yield a legal Pokémon, let alone a legitimate one. Anyone can dump the Pokémon as a file and see that some sort of unofficial third-party hardware (ie. a hacking device) was used to get something that can't be obtained by normal use of the hardware/software. Most people would assume Wondercard injection via Powersave; defeating the region-locking in the manner you described would yield the same region data.

In summary, defeating the region-locking to obtain this Darkrai event, or any other region-locked event would yield a Wondercard and Pokémon that isn't even legal, let alone legitimate. As such, neither should be added to the Event database.

Again, the original question had nothing to do with legitimacy. He was asking on possible methods that he could obtain Diancie and maybe Darkrai. He never asked for an opinion if it would be "legit" or "legal." If you want to get down to brass tacks about the whole thing, technically dumping any Wonder Card and adding it to the Event Database requires the use of unofficial third party software in one way, shape, or form to find and then subsequently rip it from a save with the data. Therefore, by using your own logic, every single Event Database Wonder Card on the main board are "illegal and illegitimate."

The guy simply asked a question if he could get the Diancie/Darkrai events using his American 3DS/game and, if not, could he run a Japanese cart on his 3DS. Again, he never asked your opinion on legitimacy. He didn't ask how to hack a Pokemon to make it seem legit. He never even said that he had plans on donating the Wonder Card to the site. Why you are persisting to try to insert your personal opinion and philosophy on gameplay into a situation that really has nothing to do with that is beyond me. The only thing that droning on about these things is accomplishing is that it is making it that much harder for people to get the answers to honest and legit questions that they came to the forum to get answers to.

I'd hardly call using a pirate cart to get access to an event for another region when a real game can't a legitimate way to get the event.

I wasn't trying to get the event.

I'm simply pointing out that Pokemon I captured on the JP rom, on a US system, indicated as US region.

Hence region is tied to the 3DS, not the cart itself.

After all, Pokemon X across all regions, is effectively the same rom, except with "region lock system" in place.

Despite being a JP rom, the logo on home screen showed the US one.

I'm not preaching Piracy; just bringing up an example as a point.

I wasn't trying to get the event.

I'm simply pointing out that Pokemon I captured on the JP rom, on a US system, indicated as US region.

Hence region is tied to the 3DS, not the cart itself.

After all, Pokemon X across all regions, is effectively the same rom, except with "region lock system" in place.

Despite being a JP rom, the logo on home screen showed the US one.

I'm not preaching Piracy; just bringing up an example as a point.

When it comes to this specific event (and other region-locked ones), that goes against what was said earlier.

Also, game carts have their region printed on them. Plus, the UK Electabuzz/Magmar events couldn't be received on a NA game card despite them both being for English-speaking regions.

I will be in Japan during the time when the movie promotion for Diance is occurring. Is it possible for me to use my American version of Pokemon Y to get the Diance from the movie event (or the Darkrai from preordering a ticket, for that matter)? If not, could I purchase a Japanese cartridge and use it on my American 3DSXL?

However, the original question was above. It had nothing to do with asking about legitimacy or your view on it. It had nothing to do with your view on legality. It asked some simple questions that we were trying to answer.

Your constant prattling on about your opinions about "legality" and "legitimacy" of any possible retrieved event has not been helpful to this user. The only thing that it has done is to bury all of the answers that we have given to try and help answer this guys question and actually didn't add anything to try to help answer them.

If @psychic_esper or somebody else is trying to find the answer to this questions, we summarized the answers in this post.

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?36206-XY-Event-Movie-Ticket-Darkrai-(Japan)&p=187801&viewfull=1#post187801

Hi everyone, thank you for answering my question.

My understanding from your replies is that I will not be able to get Darkrai without a Japanese 3DS and game, and that I won't be able to get Diance unless a) the event is not region-locked, or b) I purchase a Japanese 3DS and a Japanese cart. As such, the best course of action is probably to wait until the promotion starts, and then check back here once someone else in Japan reports on the regional status of the event.

Although it is not my fault, I am sorry that my inquiry seems to have sparked a bit of an argument regarding "legitimacy" and "legality".

Hi everyone, thank you for answering my question.

My understanding from your replies is that I will not be able to get Darkrai without a Japanese 3DS and game, and that I won't be able to get Diance unless a) the event is not region-locked, or b) I purchase a Japanese 3DS and a Japanese cart. As such, the best course of action is probably to wait until the promotion starts, and then check back here once someone else in Japan reports on the regional status of the event.

Although it is not my fault, I am sorry that my inquiry seems to have sparked a bit of an argument regarding "legitimacy" and "legality".

It isn't your fault at all. You asked some good questions that deserved honest answers and not everything else that transpired.

If I were you, I would take my 3DS and cart with me to Japan if the answer doesn't show up here. As long as it isn't distributed via serial code, there is a decent chance that it may not be region locked. Of course, we will not know for sure until the event is out.

a) the event is not region-locked

b) I purchase a Japanese 3DS and a Japanese cart.

a) So far, Wireless and internet events are not region-locked (example Torchic, Tokyo Bay Inkay etc.). Serial code events are region locked (eg UK Magmar etc.)

b) Just get someone to trade you the Diancie. This way, you won't need to spend the money :)

-snip-

Just sharing results on my experiment. didn't claim what I was doing to be legit.

I have my own updated 3DS and legit carts anyway, not like I rely on flashcarts and what not.

Region locked: Internet, Serial Code

Region free: Wireless, Infrared

It is still possible to region lock wirless events. They have shown that they can do that in past generations. I can personally confirm that when it came to some local events in my area (the TRU Arceus for example.)

With that being said though, I don't recall hearing of any wireless local events being region locked this gen.

• 6 months later...