Emulating Wifi (Subdiscussion of Pkx: The New Pokemon Format For Gen 6)

Would it work if I use my laptop as a local router and let two consoles connect on it (something like a fake WiFi) that haven't been updated yet? If so, what would I need to get things running?

The 1.2 patch is required to perform online interactions. Having them connect to a local router doesn't change that.

The 1.2 patch is required to perform online interactions. Having them connect to a local router doesn't change that.

But how should the console know that there is a patch available and block online interactions if I don't connect to any servers and keep my console off the interwebz at all?

Wireless (Local) != WiFi (Online)

Actually, he's making a point. If you set a server in your PC to make the console thing it's connecting to the internet... But that's like, impossible as of now, you'd need to emulate a GTS exploit but with nintendo servers instead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe you heard 'bout this already, but I will comment accordingly to what I’ve seen on this thread:

The game asks you to update once you reach the official server. I suppose that if you connect to an independent server, there won’t be such a request.

You can play xy without the patch (OFFLINE). To remove the patch, you'll just need to format your SD card using the 3DS menu; once you delete everything, you'll certainly have a vanilla XY.

Thereof, if somebody is capable of redirecting the connection to create a “regular internet trade channel” over an independent server, we may have a way out of this 1.2 lockdown.

I have the official USB dongle connector; it is a simple USB WiFi adapter with SoftAP support.

The only special thing about it is the software and the drivers, which restrict its use to create NDS networks.

You can mod another’s USB WiFi adapter’s drivers to create unrestricted Access Points using the USB dongle connector. So I believe that any WiFi adapter with SoftAp support can get the job done.

Thank you

-Hide

I see, do you mean that you have to break console-to-console communication encryption?

TLS is used for console-to-server communication.

The first/biggest hurdle with console-to-console communication is that there is no simple way to "sniff" it. It does not use the established wifi standard and as such cant be picked up or sent out with wireshark. If/when that issue gets solved you may or may not have to worry about decrypting the sniffed packets.

And for online connections the game also only accepts servers that have Nintendo's certificate in place. You would need the private key for it which is stored nowhere except for Nintendo's HQ.

Console-to-console connections can only be cracked if you can decrypt, then disassemble and reverse engineer the 1.2 patch.

To clarify my previous post, when I said console-to-console communication what I was refering to was strictly local area communication. No servers involved and no traffic ever touches a router. Console to server to (second) console is another story entirely and will either use TLS for TCP connections or some custom encryption (1.2 patch) for UDP as has already been pointed out

Got it, when I read MITM I suddenly got the idea of console-to-console communication.

Is there a method to intercept communication between consoles? After all, the waves and the signals are in the air.

As said earlier

The first/biggest hurdle with console-to-console communication is that there is no simple way to "sniff" it.

So here's something interesting I've noticed regarding the 1.2 patch: Ever since I downloaded it, it seems the game's timestamp doesn't update as long as I have the PSS menu open, as it doesn't change when saving before trading after the first save. I'm entirely sure this wasn't the case before the patch, as I used to use the save screen to keep track of time while chain-wondertrading. It might be nothing, though.

(I never bothered to get the 1.1 patch, so this might be related to that instead, but since that one didn't affect trading I doubt it.)

So here's something interesting I've noticed regarding the 1.2 patch: Ever since I downloaded it, it seems the game's timestamp doesn't update as long as I have the PSS menu open, as it doesn't change when saving before trading after the first save. I'm entirely sure this wasn't the case before the patch, as I used to use the save screen to keep track of time while chain-wondertrading. It might be nothing, though.

(I never bothered to get the 1.1 patch, so this might be related to that instead, but since that one didn't affect trading I doubt it.)

That has always happened to me even in 1.0

(This doesn't really have anything to do with emulating Wi-Fi, though.)

That has always happened to me even in 1.0

(This doesn't really have anything to do with emulating Wi-Fi, though.)

I just thought was weird, since I'd think they'd have to get a new seed from the time for encrypting trades, to make it harder to predict the next seed... so I thought it might give some insight into how the encryption works. But it looks like I don't know what I'm talking about. Just ignore me. :P

• 1 month later...
How about the infrared channel? It is older technology, it might be easier to track and interpret.

Just FYI, the IR port in Pokemon games is just a fancy way to connect via local wireless. All it does is establish the connection between two games. If all of the communication were done via IR, you would need to stand nearly still and close together with your opponent for an entire battle / trade.

• 4 months later...

I built a circuit to capture IR data every 1/20th of a second and these are some of the commands I got while searching for another 3DS for a battle.

2A
2A
3E
4A
4D
4A

Edit: These are equal to the read value subtracted from 1023