Activate Memory Link features (B2W2)

BlackShark

Thanks!

I looked at your files and noticed a few things.

- for some reason your nofarewell save has Farewell beloved sister unlocked

Seems like I messed up the files, I may have backed up a save after discovering that I had to enter entralink, then repeated the process and backed up again for personal use, but posted those two files.

This is the save file that hadn't unlocked farewell beloved sister: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f34wfac57xhg5gs/Pokemon%20-%20Edicion%20Negra%202%20%5BS%5D%20-%200_memorylink.sav?dl=0

ps: how do you find out if a block is encrypted or not? Maybe if I edit a byte from each block , fix the checksums and try to load the save it will still appear as corrupted?

I did the thing the mod said in an earlier post, but it didn't work for some reason. :/

What exactly didn't work for your? Sorry for the late reply.

Seems like I messed up the files, I may have backed up a save after discovering that I had to enter entralink, then repeated the process and backed up again for personal use, but posted those two files.

This is the save file that hadn't unlocked farewell beloved sister: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f34wfac57xhg5gs/Pokemon%20-%20Edicion%20Negra%202%20%5BS%5D%20-%200_memorylink.sav?dl=0

Thanks again for your save file!

I didn't work on this in the last weeks, but I will continue in about 2 weeks as I will have more free time then to focus on this.

ps: how do you find out if a block is encrypted or not? Maybe if I edit a byte from each block , fix the checksums and try to load the save it will still appear as corrupted?

Well, I would say all the blocks that look like "garbage" from the beginning to the end are encrypted. :D Or they just contain flags...

From looking at a B2W2 save file the following blocks should be encrypted.

0x1C800( Mystery Gift)

0x1DA00 (Trainer Card Records)

0x20400 (unknown)

0x22A00 (Area NPCs)

Pokemon (box, party, daycare, etc) are not encrypted as a whole block. That's also the case for the item storages.

For BW it should be these.

0x1C800

0x1DA00

0x22C00

Thank you very much, I thought there might be more encrypted blocks, seems like I was only missing the 0x20400 region.

I'm coding a unified tool, for now it can load a save, detect bw or bw2 and dump/inject any of the 74 blocks of bw2. It can also decryp/encrypt the forest data (area npcs). I'm working on the trainer records block.

It can verify and update the checksums too.

I still need to add bw offsets and bw2 dlc regions.

The idea is that noe that I can handle the save regions, I can add editors for each of those regions with ease, without worrying about getting the block and putting it back to the file.

https://github.com/suloku/BW_tool

I'm not doing another pokegen, but rather getting the not covered features available (hidden grotto editing is already there).

For now I want to make a medal editor and a "legit" forest editor (only allow to insert pokemon that were available at dream world, and highlight the special dream moves)

EDIT: I've just checked 0x20400 in bw2 save and it does not seem to be encrypted in any way? (almost all 0x00).

Edited by suloku

• 2 months later...

Excuse me but,are you developing a tool for Black 2/White 2 game saves? Is it able to transfer Memory Link data from B1/W1 to B2/W2 saves? That would be great! Are you still working on that BW_tool? I've taken an interest on this and i'd really like to know.

Excuse me but,are you developing a tool for Black 2/White 2 game saves? Is it able to transfer Memory Link data from B1/W1 to B2/W2 saves? That would be great! Are you still working on that BW_tool? I've taken an interest on this and i'd really like to know.

Well, I can't speak for suloku but transfering Memory Link data from BW to B2W2 is not easy since the structure is not fully known yet.

I was working on figuring it out, but I didn't have the time that I expected to have and I wasn't really motivated to play through my White Version with frequently making backups during playthrough.

Anyway I will continue my work on the Memory Link structure, I just don't know when. I will have a few free weeks in August, so hopefully I can get something done then.

Oh,i see! Well,if it helps i have multiple saves i made from my Pokémon Black Version with No$gba and Desmume.I just started a Black 2 game using your save file,BlackShark,i'm in the Floccesy Ranch and just watched the N 'flashback' event-thing in the Pokémon Center.It's working fine,thanks for that! If i'm not mistaken Black saves can be used with the White Version and vice-versa,right? If it is ok i could post them here.I'm looking forward for that work of yours!

I was thinking more about editing a complete memory link than a direct bw-bw2 transfer.

The only really important thing would be changing trainer name though, because from my point of view, why transfer an incomplete memory link? It can be updated if you progress in BW in real hardware though.

In any case, for this kind of transfer I would still use a complete memory link as basis, check for flags/pokedex/prop case in bw savefile and edit the memory link acordingly.

There's also the problem with the "personal key", also used in the key system, which seems to be randomly generated if there's no BW2 savefile, but if there is one it is probably somewhere in BW2 save and should be located too.

It's not like I dropped the project, but I don't have the time right now.

Edit: also blackshark, in my black playthrough I kept multiple saves, at least before each gym I think if you want them, but they are mostly only numerically labeled.

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse me but could you help me locate where I can edit the name of "unnamed trainer from 2 yrs ago" in the hex editor? where is it stored in the hxd? I used Suloku's file from BW1 and it so happens that his records and teams are similar to my own bw file.. Please help.. I just want to rename his trainer to mine as i have different trainer names for those two games... please help so that i can finally finish my BW2.. thanks.

Excuse me but could you help me locate where I can edit the name of "unnamed trainer from 2 yrs ago" in the hex editor? where is it stored in the hxd? I used Suloku's file from BW1 and it so happens that his records and teams are similar to my own bw file.. Please help.. I just want to rename his trainer to mine as i have different trainer names for those two games... please help so that i can finally finish my BW2.. thanks.

The Trainer's name and ID are stored up to 3 times (0x844 - 0x857' date=' 0x85C - 0x86F, 0x874 - 0x887). I don't know which of them is responsible for the Trainer from two years ago and what the others are used for.

You can't battle him, he's only mentioned by some NPCs. Cheren and Bianca will have one of these teams (depending on your starter in BW) [url']http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Memory_Link#Battles[/url]

Actually your Hall of Fame from BW (0x23B00 - 0x23C67) gets copied over to the Memory Link (0x8B8 - 0xA1F), but I don't know it's usage.

Edit: also blackshark, in my black playthrough I kept multiple saves, at least before each gym I think if you want them, but they are mostly only numerically labeled.

Those would definetly be helpfull! Thanks, I would appreciate your help.

But I won't do anything before August though.

The Trainer's name and ID are stored up to 3 times (0x844 - 0x857, 0x85C - 0x86F, 0x874 - 0x887). I don't know which of them is responsible for the Trainer from two years ago and what the others are used for.

You can't battle him, he's only mentioned by some NPCs. Cheren and Bianca will have one of these teams (depending on your starter in BW) http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Memory_Link#Battles

Actually your Hall of Fame from BW (0x23B00 - 0x23C67) gets copied over to the Memory Link (0x8B8 - 0xA1F), but I don't know it's usage.

Those would definetly be helpfull! Thanks, I would appreciate your help.

But I won't do anything before August though.

When I tried to edit the names on those locations, the the game's key becomes corrupted... Perhaps the game encrypts the memory link saves base on the original data's trainer name + I'd number + hall of fame records?

The encryption key seems to be randomly generated when memory link is transfered (if there is no savegame data) or when new savegame is created.

We can know the encryption key in an already generated save because it is the same one used for the key system.

I MIGHT try adding basic support for memory link today, but first I need to solve a couple bugs that came up.

Since my personal memory link data has everything unlocked (full prop case, all diplomas and trophies, all flashbacks, no dream world stuff though) changing trainer name, tid, sid and hall of fame (import from bw1 save file) that should be enough for a pseudo memory link transfer.

EDIT:

@BlackShark and @BlackShark check this out: https://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?48943-GEN-5-Generation-5-save-tool-entralink-medals-join-avenue-and-others-not-in-pokegen

http://puu.sh/pyiet/9d0b463e79.png

I have embedded my own complete memories file to the program: if the loaded BW2 savegame doesn't have any memories (detected by empty trainer name) it will use mine instead (with name, TID and SID shown in the picture, which are from the dream world pokemon events page). The hall of fame data is still my own though, but I don't think it is ever used.

Also, BlackShark, I tried playing with the flag byte you documented and no apparent changes happened, at least at the memories list.

Edited by suloku

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2013 at 10:54 AM, Kaphotics said:

1. open your save file in HxD
  2. open this attached file in HxD
  3. select all of the hex from the attached file, copy
  4. highlight 0x7E000 to 0x7EA1F in your save file
  5. paste in to your save file
  6. save your save file (with a new name)
  7. open new save in pokegen
  8. save save file in pokegen (to fix checksums)
  9. import save file to your cart/emulator.

having issues with step 6. do i click the save as option or just save (disk option). cause when i opened in pokegen. said unable to find save state.

• 1 year later...
On 10/14/2013 at 7:54 PM, Kaphotics said:

1. open your save file in HxD
  2. open this attached file in HxD
  3. select all of the hex from the attached file, copy
  4. highlight 0x7E000 to 0x7EA1F in your save file
  5. paste in to your save file
  6. save your save file (with a new name)
  7. open new save in pokegen
  8. save save file in pokegen (to fix checksums)
  9. import save file to your cart/emulator.

What is  attached file??

• 2 years later...
On 8/21/2019 at 4:13 PM, BlackShark said:

There was a file attached to my post that contained some data, but this is obsolete anyway so use suloku's tool instead (it's easier to use as well)

I'd also like to know what data was there, since the BW Tool is doing something funky. I can import previous B data to B2, update checksums, and the save appears in PKHeX, but when continuing playing only "New Game" appears. It is being converted from a dsv to a sav, but afaik sav should still be compatible with Desmume.

Edited by urbanxx001

5 hours ago, urbanxx001 said:

I'd also like to know what data was there, since the BW Tool is doing something funky. I can import previous B data to B2, update checksums, and the save appears in PKHeX, but when continuing playing only "New Game" appears. It is being converted from a dsv to a sav, but afaik sav should still be compatible with Desmume.

Check the spoiler in the first post, the data is still there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlackShark said:

Check the spoiler in the first post, the data is still there.

Oh understood, the file kaphotics refers to is the memorylink.sav. Thank you for the quick response I really appreciate it!

Edit: I just realized the attached link data is a save snippet, so I was able to copy over my imported but non-working link save to a working save.

Edited by urbanxx001