X and Y General Impressions Thread

codem8kr

I'll go first.

I got my copy of Pokemon Y yesterday (8th October) and I have to say I am LOVING the new game. I've played for around about 9 hours so far.

So I chose Chespin first. I usually start with a Grass type. I chose Chespin since most people are liking Froakie's evolution. Chespin is actually quite good. Even though the first Gym is a bug gym, I beat Viola with Chespin only using Rollout!

I've put my review in a spoiler incase your don't want to read what I've written.

Pokemon Cries: The sounds of each pokemon have changed. Pikachu is the most notable. It has the same cry as the Anime, which was a surprise when I encountered it

While the 3D feature is a great addition to the series, I found that while having it active during battle, the command feature lagged a few seconds slower than without it. Even without 3D active in battles, the subtle features such as having wind blowing, leaves moving across the battle screen, hell even the way the pokemon move in the battle, more than makes up for a slightly laggy 3D battle feature.

As I said before, I've been playing for about 9 hours so far and I only have 1 badge! I swear. I've been training all the pokemon I've captured, and I have to say that there are a LOT of pokemon in each route! By the time I got to the major city, Lumiose City, Box 1 was almost full and I hadn't even managed to evolve my Pidgetto yet! Pidgey was my first wild pokemon capture.

Speaking of evolving. The way pokemon now evolve....I like it. It's cool. Only downside? When a pokemon evolves, you can no longer see it's silhouette as the pokemon is covered in a bright light. This may cause problems when evolving pokemon such as Tyrogue or Eevee. The music is cool which takes me back to a time when I really really found excitement in training pokemon.

EXP Share: Awesome Item this gen and you get it early on too. You have it active and the rest of your team gain half of the EXP your lead pokemon gains. This item is now invaluable to me. I have in the past ignored this item because the rest of your team got a share of your EXP. But this gen changes it. Your lead pokemon gets all the exp for defeating the enemy and your team gains half the amount of the EXP. So for example, my Quilladin defeated Onix and gained somewhere in the region of 140 EXP, the rest of the team gained 70 EXP. This item has helped me alot level up my pokemon.

Daycare centre: Same as previous gen's so far. I've stored two pokemon just to level them up because I want their evolutions: Bunnelby and Honedge. Nothing much to say about this really.

Kanto Starter: You can choose which starter you want from Prof. Sycamore. I chose Squirtle since I started with a Grass type and when I get the Torchic event, I'll have one of each type starter. Besides I like the Mega Blastoise. You get the Mega Evolution item from the Prof.

Mega Stones: I've got two so far. Blastoisite and Aerodatylite. The Glittering Cave is the home of the stones. You basically have to use Rock smash on the boulders in the cave to find the Mega Stones.

Pokemon Training/Amie: Two great features. The training is really simple and it can be done at any time during the journey. You can set up a punch bag and your pokemon can do it in the background as you travel around.

Pokemon Amie is basically a friend scheme with your pokemon. You feed it candies, pet it and play easy games with it to grow your bond. A good addition to the games.

Well at this point, I'm going for my second badge and I LOVE the game so far. Lots of Pokemon to catch (mostly the old ones, but the variety of them is good), the trainers are easy (downside), the Rollerblades, Trainer Customisation (shocking prices, p3000 for a hat? Sure no bother!), Furfrou grooming among other things has made this an enjoyable game so far.

It will take a good while to complete to the full extent and I cannot wait for the PGL to come online to see how that affects the game play.

So, I managed to get my Eevee to evolve into Sylveon. I made a video of it and it's currently uploading to Youtube.

I'll post a link when it uploads. Really happy that I evolved it.

EDIT: Here is the link to my video showing my Eevee evolving into Sylveon.

Edited by codem8kr
Link Added

Well at this point, I'm going for my second badge and I LOVE the game so far. Lots of Pokemon to catch (mostly the old ones, but the variety of them is good).

When you say old ones, is it a variety of Gen 1-5 pokemon, a specific generation, or what? I know I'll figure this out for myself in three days but I'm really curious. xD

When you say old ones, is it a variety of Gen 1-5 pokemon, a specific generation, or what? I know I'll figure this out for myself in three days but I'm really curious. xD

Yes. Previous 1-5 gen pokemon can be encountered while progressing through the game. I like it. It's exciting not knowing which kind of Pokemon will appear. Like the first route when you begin for example. It has new pokemon like Scatterbug and Bunnelby, but it also has ones like Pidgey, Caterpie etc

Yes. Previous 1-5 gen pokemon can be encountered while progressing through the game. I like it. It's exciting not knowing which kind of Pokemon will appear. Like the first route when you begin for example. It has new pokemon like Scatterbug and Bunnelby, but it also has ones like Pidgey, Caterpie etc

Oh, that's awesome! :) Now I'm really excited to play~

Most of the Pokemon you encounter at that point are oldmons: a lot of this game emphasises on the old Pokemon rather than the new ones, which I do like. There are three Pokedexes, each containing 150 Pokemon, totalling to 450 altogether (Central/Coastal/Mountain Kalos). There may be even more post-game. Heh. Somehow you encounter some strongmons quite early on too, such as Absol.

If you want to be spoiled, prepare to be either ecstatic or disappointed (DO NOT OPEN unless you are absolutely sure):

So far only 69 new Pokemon are introduced. Yes, 69, and probably some extra 100 stat all across pixie may be stashed someplace in the end. There is also no legendary trio that are in all the preceding generations: the Kanto legendary birds take that role, somewhat. I don't like how small the new list is, but it also does get rid of unnecessary repeats like Zubat/Tentacool of Kalos region/whatever. Not to mention there are Mega Evolutions anyways, which kind of makes up for the lack of new Pokemon, but still, I are disappoint.

Most of the Pokemon you encounter at that point are oldmons: a lot of this game emphasises on the old Pokemon rather than the new ones, which I do like. There are three Pokedexes, each containing 150 Pokemon, totalling to 450 altogether (Central/Coastal/Mountain Kalos). There may be even more post-game. Heh. Somehow you encounter some strongmons quite early on too, such as Absol.

If you want to be spoiled, prepare to be either ecstatic or disappointed (DO NOT OPEN unless you are absolutely sure):

So far only 69 new Pokemon are introduced. Yes, 69, and probably some extra 100 stat all across pixie may be stashed someplace in the end. There is also no legendary trio that are in all the preceding generations: the Kanto legendary birds take that role, somewhat. I don't like how small the new list is, but it also does get rid of unnecessary repeats like Zubat/Tentacool of Kalos region/whatever. Not to mention there are Mega Evolutions anyways, which kind of makes up for the lack of new Pokemon, but still, I are disappoint.

Ah yeah, I read about that elsewhere earlier today (Regarding your spoiler). I'll spoiler box my full response...

To me, it's somewhat of a relief as I haven't gotten to play the Gen 5 games yet. It means less to catch up on with it still being an exciting pace by which to learn. :)

I'm not too sure how I feel about there only being 69 brand new pokemon.

On the one hand, yes its great not having to spend a while catching 100-150 pokemon then going after the old ones, but thats also the downside for me. I love catching all the new pokemon, learning about them, their moves etc and then focusing on the old ones.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new generation, but the list of new pokemon is too short for me. Adding in Mega Evolutions of some already powerful old pokemon doesn't make up for a new generation of only 69 pokemon.

As for the Pokemon designs....well....oh heck here we go with the love/hate aspect of the new generations. Here are my views in the spoiler below.

Love these ones:

Chesnaught 652.png

Delphox 655.png

Greninja 658.png

Talonflame663.png

Vivillon666.png

Pangoro675.png

Meowstic678-f.png

Aegislash (shield forme)681.png

Aegislash (Blade Forme)681-b.png

Malamar687.png

Tyrunt696.png

Tyrantrum697.png

Amaura698.png

Aurorus699.png

Sylveon700.png

Goodra706.png

Noibat714.png

Noivern715.png

Xernias (Neutral/Active modes)716.png716-a.png

Yvetal250px-Yveltal.png

Zygarde718.png

Don't like these ones:

Diggersby660.png

Swirlix684.png

Slurpuff685.png

Binacle688.png

Dedenne702.png

Klefki707.png

Phantump708.png

Trevenant709.png

Pumpkaboo710-l.png

Gourgeist711-s.png

Bergmite712.png

Avalugg713.png

As you can see, the good outweighs bad in my opinion. Slurpuff and Avalugg being the worst looking pokemon this generation, I think anyways.

Edited by wraith89
Spoiler Until the Game is OFFICIALLY out