NDS Adapter Owner

AllyKat

To those brave souls working hard on PokeGen development!

Hello, I am many of the fellow fans of Pokemon and the PokeGen project that own a NDS Adapter Plus. I will be picking up my games at midnight release for the physical cartridges. I will happily back-up and share some saves!

Here are ones that I already plan on backing-up:

• A Blank Save
  • A Blank Save (with Torchic event)
  • A Save with Each of the Starters Selected
  • A Save with Each of the Starters Selected and the PokeDex obtained

It won't help for sharing save files. No one else could use those files on their carts.

But

It could help for researching the encryption on the saves or other things if that ever gets figured out. But I wouldn't get your hopes up.

But it will help, at least in theory.

I plan to fool around a little to see what the NDS Adapter can and cannot do with these new games. I will share my results and save files!

I didn't know about the cartridge key encryption. Still, it stands to reason that like all methods of encryption in which the source code is view-able (people will rip the ROMs) that the code can be broken.

Well that wouldn't make it impossible - just really super hard. There have to be developers with debug kits, which means those kits will end up in the hands of enterprising hackers eventually, which is one avenue of exploration. Technically we'll have some control data to look for once we can transfer from Gen V (PIDs and such) so there's that too.

For the record, we can open and save the cartridge versions (both X and Y) on any 3DS system. The only thing different is that the game takes a moment upon loading to update the friend/acquaintance list, since those are tied to the system. But the rest of the save is the same regardless of which system you use, so cartridge versions should be able to have the save extracted (at some point) and restored without issue, since they're not tied to the save timestamp mechanism the eShop versions are. Hypothetically, of course.

how, exactly?

I'm just saying I can take my copy of X, which I've been playing on my Fire Emblem 3DS, and insert it into my launch 3DS, and resume my game. Likewise, I can take my copy of Y, which I've been playing on my launch 3DS, insert it into my Fire Emblem 3DS, and resume my game.

My point is that it may not be so reliant on the 3DS hardware/firmware as was previously speculated. Unless I'm misunderstanding what was said, which is entirely possible.

I'm just saying I can take my copy of X, which I've been playing on my Fire Emblem 3DS, and insert it into my launch 3DS, and resume my game. Likewise, I can take my copy of Y, which I've been playing on my launch 3DS, insert it into my Fire Emblem 3DS, and resume my game.

So you've actually done this?

So you've actually done this?

Yes. I did it with Y first, since I'm simply using that to farm event Torchic and (eventually) Charizardite and Mewtwonite, and didn't mind if it turned out I lost my save. But it was perfectly fine. Did the same thing with my main game, X, and same result. Like I said, the only thing that happens is the game takes a moment to update your friend list, since that aspect is tied to the 3DS friend list. But that's the only thing different.

Yes. I did it with Y first, since I'm simply using that to farm event Torchic and (eventually) Charizardite and Mewtwonite, and didn't mind if it turned out I lost my save. But it was perfectly fine. Did the same thing with my main game, X, and same result. Like I said, the only thing that happens is the game takes a moment to update your friend list, since that aspect is tied to the 3DS friend list. But that's the only thing different.

I have Pokémon Y and yes you can play it in ANY 3/2DS system, it will load the other systems friends.

For instance System 1 has friend A,B,C.

System 2 has friend F,K,I.

When I put the game in system 1, get system one friends. When I put game in system 2 has system 2 friends.

Scratch this entire thread...

NDS Adapter Plus opened up the cartridges for Pokemon X & Y. The games do not have a EEPROM for writing the memory to. So, no firmware update could ever resolve the unit's ability to store save files. (Same as Animal Crossing: New Leaf.)

Based upon other comments in this thread... all the game's main data is stored on the cartridge but not in a place where current devices available can even access the data.