I need some serious help trading between pokemon games

I've been playing Emerald on VBA, and beat the main story. I really want to complete the Hoenn PokeDex to get a Johto starter, but for that I need to be able to trade version-exclusives from Ruby and Sapphire.

So I've been using the latest version of VBA Link (1.8.0.600) to play my ROMs for Ruby and Sapphire. I played far enough into each game to be able to go to the pokemon center and trade pokemon. I opened up one window of VBA with Emerald, and another window of it with Ruby. I deselected "Pause when inactive window" on both, and under the Link menu I selected "Wireless Adapter" on both. In Emerald, I go up to the trade center, they ask me to save, and then I pick whether I want to become the leader or join someone else. But in Ruby, once it asks me to save, I just get a message saying "Please wait. ... ... B Button: Cancel". And it stays that way without progressing.

Whether I pick become leader or join someone else in Emerald, I get the same result in Ruby or Sapphire. The funny thing is, I am able to trade perfectly between FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald. I also remember playing these games a few years ago and I could trade between R/S and Emerald. But for some reason, I currently cannot get Ruby or Sapphire to trade at all. If anyone has any idea how to fix this issue so that I'll be able to trade between my ROMs, I would be very appreciative.

TL;DR: I am unable to trade between Pokemon Emerald and Ruby/Sapphire on my ROMs. I get a message on R/S that says "Please wait. ... ... B Button: Cancel" and doesn't go any further. Any help fixing this would be awesome.

You should deselect "Wireless Adapter" option, then try again (because Ruby and Sapphire game don't support trading via Wireless Adapter).

Well I did that and I was able to get further into the process, but then right as I was entering the trading room I got a new error. Both screens went black and said "Link error... Check your game link cable connection, and turn the power off and on." So there's still something else I have to fix for it to work. Any ideas? Again this was between Emerald and Ruby.