About 1500 people are banned due to illegal pokemon at Global Showdown

awesometeemo

http://en.pokemon-gl.com/#/information/752

The 2013 Global Showdown rankings are finally here! We apologize for the delay in posting the rankings. The delay was due to an additional check of the Pokémon that were registered for the tournament.

During our investigation, we found that a large number of illegal Pokémon were used during the competition. Players who were found to have used illegal Pokémon have been disqualified from the rankings and thus will not be eligible to participate in the test competition for Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, to be hosted at the new Pokémon Global Link website. We strive to offer a fair battle environment to all of our players, and the use of illegal Pokémon undermines the spirit of the competition.

We will not disclose further details about the investigation. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

their checks still suck; the guy who got ranked #1 (sejun park) used a hacked team but didn't get caught.

Okay, they finally got the English article up (wasn't there yesterday when I read the Japanese one).

So it looks like the normal checks (illegal moves, illegal stats) would still happen when you register your Battle Box, etc, before the tournament.

So they must be checking stuff beyond that.

I hope they continue checks like whatever new checks they've established here, and ideally step them up further.

Again, the moral is: don't hack.

their checks still suck; the guy who got ranked #1 (sejun park) used a hacked team but didn't get caught.

Interesting. For the way I'm reading that though, he didn't hack anything that would have given him that much of an advantage.

Don't get me wrong, it still wasn't fair to most of the people in the tournament, but people have undoubtedly gotten away with much worse in the past. It's good to see tournament officials at least moving in the right direction.

There's no question that Sejun Park used several hacked Pokémon in his team, but I'm going to have to point out that the two Ferrothorns don't have the same Speed IV and not exactly the same EVs.

But if their checks let through several obviously-hacked Pokémon, I'm going to have to wonder what those ~1500 players were thinking when they entered with those Pokémon, because they must have been using really obvious hacks (and by that, I mean even more obvious than those.)

You'd think that if fans are able to build solid legality-checkers by themselves, the company themselves would be able to, but nope.

I'm going to have to point out that the two Ferrothorns don't have the same Speed IV and not exactly the same EVs.

they've got the exact same PID, but different nature/IV/EVs. indicative of alterations :P

stuff like pokebuilder or whatever really has terrible pkms, probably the main source of people getting DQ'd

are RNGed pokemons allowed in battle computations or they considered as hacked?

I wouldn't see why not. RNG'd Pokémon could be legitimately obtained in-game without resetting. Hacked Pokémon are obtained/made using external devices, like Action Replay.

are RNGed pokemons allowed in battle computations or they considered as hacked?

When I asked that question at an official tournament, they told me RNGed Pokémon are not allowed but since their cheat checkers are unable to catch them, there's nothing they can do against them.

When I asked that question at an official tournament, they told me RNGed Pokémon are not allowed but since their cheat checkers are unable to catch them, there's nothing they can do against them.

That's ridiculous :/

It would be smarter to allow it.

It is folks following the rules who are punished.

1000 hours of reset to be wiped out by RNG'd team... None sence.

RNG abused Pokemon are allowed, since they are generated by the game legitimately, and as such, is no different than one caught randomly (in terms of legality). Furthermore, flawless Pokemon aren't exclusive to RNG abuse; it's perfectly possible to obtain a flawless Pokemon without RNG abuse.

RNG abused Pokemon are allowed
No, The Pokémon Company staff told me they're not allowed. Their cheat detection software just isn't able to detect them. So unless the judges witness someone bragging about this, they cannot take action and ban them. That's what they told me.

You could argue that they are allowed for that reason, though.

They can't ban them because they can't tell the difference, so they have to allow them.

This is just like legal vs legit; there's zero difference between the two, just like how there is no difference between and RNGed Pokémon and a non-RNGed Pokémon.

The only way a Nintendo official could tell with 100% certainty that a Pokémon was RNGed is if they personally saw the person RNG it (or if the person is bragging about it, of course.)

It may also depend on the tournament, too. Aren't there more than one type of official tournament?

No, The Pokémon Company staff told me they're not allowed. Their cheat detection software just isn't able to detect them. So unless the judges witness someone bragging about this, they cannot take action and ban them. That's what they told me.

How would the judges hear someone bragging about RNG if it was an online competition?

Junior (born in 2001 or later), Senior (born between 1997 and 2000) and Masters (born in 1996 or earlier). In the video game categories, there are two divisions, Junior (born in 2001 or later) and Senior (born before 2000).

think of how many were banned in junior divison

the max age is 12 and most players are young kids 5-10

i dont know how people younger then 12 can access or know how to RNG

seniors are little older and could have more access

Apparently you still haven't realized that anything on the internet (such as information on how to RNG abuse) is freely available to all ages (despite age restrictions; it's not hard for someone to lie about their age). Searching "Pokemon RNG abuse" in google brings up Smogon's page as the first result. So really, it's incredibly easy to find the information, and with the ease of RNG abuse in Generation 5, it's not unreasonable for someone who is twelve years or younger to figure it out.

There is literally no way for them to tell the difference, and they won't ever be able to. All RNGed Pokemon are generated legitimately through the game, and are exactly the same as a random Pidove caught on Route 3 in terms of legitimacy.

This is just like legal vs legit; there's zero difference between the two

There's a big difference between the two. Legitimate means it was generated by the game itself, whereas legal encompasses anything from the game itself, and anything created externally by a program such as Pokegen that could be possible in the game. One could even argue that due to the terrible Nintendo hack checkers, that anything that passes those is legal, such as Sejun's Follow Me Magmar he used recently (Despite being completely impossible to get such a spread for it).