PPRE: Project Pokemon's ROM Editor

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. I love this tool already but I am currently struggling on something. I am editing Heart Gold and would like to now how to edit the level, move-set etc. of the red gyarados and other pokemon that can be found as overworld sprites (if this is even possible of course). I hope someone can help me with that.

Thanks, Michael.

• 3 weeks later...
It's due to PPRE interpreting the script wrong and then saving it wrong when you press save. You can avoid it by opening the scripts for that route, typing some gibberish in them, making the wild edits you want, and then saving. The script will not save if it's in an invalid format, so the events on the route will remain intact, and the edits to wilds WILL save.

thank you

But How do I open the scripts?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever experienced a bug/glitch when testing their hack that a pokemon may learn a few more moves or "nothing" at a particular level?

I was testing my platinum hack earlier today and have Furret learn Dizzy punch at level 15 upon evolution, but somehow it also was trying to learn Grasswhistle and Fire Fang although I didn't give it those moves in ppre.

The other scenario was when I have Spinarak learn Pin Missile at Lv. 22, he evolves to Ariados and is then learns Mega Drain. At level 23, it is possible for it to learn Pin Missile again, but instead it just said it was trying to learn " " instead of skipping the move since it knew the move already.

Is it possible that it's because the pokemon's movelist is maxed out? I didn't remove/replace many attacks for a few pokemon including Furret/Ariados which caused them to have their movepool maxed with 22 moves.

Indeed, for some reason giving a Pokémon 20+ moves in PPRE (well, 20 since that's where it maxes out the boxes) causes it to mess up badly. If you edit level-up moves by hex then you can extend that limit, but unfortunately editing the file even once with PPRE makes it impossible to reinsert stuff with crystaltile2 iirc...

Kind of buggy, y'know?

Indeed, for some reason giving a Pokémon 20+ moves in PPRE (well, 20 since that's where it maxes out the boxes) causes it to mess up badly. If you edit level-up moves by hex then you can extend that limit, but unfortunately editing the file even once with PPRE makes it impossible to reinsert stuff with crystaltile2 iirc...

Kind of buggy, y'know?

Ack! So I have to replace the movepool narc for the platinum hack now? Or is it safe for me to go back and edit all other mons moves so they only reach up to 19?

You can just go back and edit them, yeah, 19 or below in PPRE is totally fine even if it exceeded the limit previously.

I've went back to check which pokemon I need to change and I noticed that there's some pokemon with a maxed movepool such as dusclops and a few others and I haven't even altered their movepool. I guess there's a few exceptions, xD?

• 1 month later...

I just have to ask, is it possible for a quick fix to just ensure that PPRE doesn't corrupt the scripts associated with maps when editing wild Pokemon in HGSS? I tried the fix proposed earlier in this topic, typing gibberish into the script, but that didn't solve my problem and all events where an NPC is forced to move are corrupted when the map is saved.

This is literally the only function in PPRE that I need to be able to use it for what I'd like.

• 3 weeks later...

Those are things in the text that refer to line breaks. \n refers to a singular line break, \r means a new dialogue box.

Say you had a string like this:

"I had such a fun time with\nyou today. I hope you did too.\rHey, wanna trade for my Luvdisc?"

In the game, this would show up as...

I had such a fun time with

you today. I hope you did too.

^ That would all show up in one textbox, then when you press a...

Hey, wanna trade for my Luvdisc?

^ This is all in one textbox.

To get it so it'd be like...

I had such a fun time with

you today. I hope you did too.

Hey, wanna trade for my Luvdisc?

where the third line shows up after pressing a on the second line.

You would outlay it like so: "I had such a fun time with\nyou today. I hope you did too.\x25BDHey, wanna trade for my Luvdisc?"

\x25BD means you will move onto the next line, but it only works properly if you do it after an \n but before an \r.

Hope that helps; it'll be more obvious what it means if you try it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble editing text. I did a test by changing what you mom says when you first go downstairs in Diamond. When she's talking about Barry and says "He said it was an emergency" I changed it to "He said it could wait", making sure not to delete and /n or /r. When I went downstairs the game promptly froze, so how can I fix this? I didn't use the New Poke text that came with it because I couldn't figure out how to use it.

Another thing, can I edit starters? I have a separate program to change the starters but whenever I attempt to change the starters of a file hacked with PPRE the normal starters still show up like always.

One last thing, can I edit Gym Leader/Elite 4/Rival Rosters? I clicked Oreburgh gym in the Maps section and I had the option to edit the two gym trainer's rosters but not Roark's. I have a separate program to edit these rosters, but since the other program for starters didn't work with PPRE I don't expect this one to either.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, first off, I am really sorry to bother anyone if these questions have already been answered but lately I have been fascinated with creating a rom hack from pokemon heartgold. As a result of my searchings, I found this program, PPRE. Now I downloaded this program, and a heartgold rom, renamed everything, created folders as various websites say to do. I have also read, maybe not fully understood, but did in fact read all 40 pages of this thread. Now I have tried using this program, however, I don't think I understand how to fully use it.

After I have downloaded the ppre program version .14. I made a folder named PPRE, and put all the files the zip came with in it, along with a heartgold rom renamed "heartgold".

Here is an example of my first problem, I wrote down what I did step by step:

1. I load the application ppre.

2. I choose rom, my rom is "heartgold".

3. I click set rom.

4. I click on Trainers.

5. I go down to 3-Silver.

6. I change the pokemon's level and item that he has, (totodile), from level 5 to level 8, and give it an oran berry.

7. I save and exit the Trainer Tab.

8. I write "heartgoldedit.nds" for the New Rom Name box.

9. I click on Write Rom.

10. I get a file named heartgoldedit in my PPRE folder.

11. I load it up, but there are no changes made to Silver's first encounter, his totodile remains level 5 with no item.

Edit: For anyone wondering. PPRE works fine on editing trainer's roster except for the rival's for some reason. (Answer by aninymouse)

Second question is, how am I supposed to check that the changes are working. Let's say that I change Falkner's team, (first gym challenge). Now supposing the edits I make work, which they aren't at the moment, am I supposed to start a new game, and start from the very beginning (New Bark Town) and make my way to Falkner's gym in order to check that the changes work? Or is there a way that I don't know about to doing this, because if I make a change to the Champion, I don't think starting a whole new game just to check the change is worth it.

Edit: Use save states. (Answer by aninymouse).

Now if my questions seem basic or obvious, I apologize. This is my first time doing something like this. I have searched and read forums and threads and googled but it is hard to look for tools to use when you don't know the name of a specific tool. I have also searched for ppre on this website and look at all threads but I don't seem to find much info on this. Now if you feel like this is a waste of time or a dumb question to ask, then I truly apologize for this, but like I said, I am just a pokemon lover and would to get some knowledge on this. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Kael

Yea aninymouse, thank you very much for that help. I started making my changes but I ran into a problem with save states.

First Scenario:

1. I am in route 30, use save state.

2. Then I exit the emulator (Desmune 0.9.7 x86).

3. Then I open PPRE and click maps.

4. I change the pokemon that appears, then I write rom again, under the same name as the first one I wrote "heartgoldedit.nds"

5. I load up the emulator and the load the new rom and I open my previous save state that I had and when I walk its fine until I encounter a pokemon in which the image of my emulator freezes but the music still plays.

I did these same steps but instead of save stating in the route, I saved outside of the route and it worked fine, is this a coincidence or is this something that always happens?

Second Scenario:

1. I arrive at Cherrygrove City and use save state. (I have already beaten my rival and talked to professor Oak)

2. I open PPRE and change the roster of the trainers in the next couple of roads, route 30, route 31, violet city gym, and sprout tower. As well as change the pokemon encounter in Dark Cave. (I added so that you can catch a larvitar in Dark Cave, section that is accessible through route 31).

3. Now I open my emulator and load the save state.

4. I battle the trainers and wild pokemon on route 30 with no problems.

5. I arrive at the entrance of Dark Cave and once I enter, the first pokemon that I encounter freezes the image of my emulator but the music still plays.

Is there any way around this? Do I have to be in the route that is directly next to the route I edit in order for it not to freeze?

The constant freezing is part of the anti-piracy built into HGSS. There are patches that cause the freezing to happen less, but it never truly goes away 100%, like in DPPt. There's also a theory that it's not anti-piracy but just a programming oversight and/or the rendering process being really inefficient.