PPRE: Project Pokemon's ROM Editor

As stated before, the in-battle names of some trainers (Giovanni and Twins, Couple, etc) are Like this "?????????? ?????????" after editing the data of any trainer. I'm using the latest release of this tool, which I downloaded from the OP. Seems it's not my problem only since another user has reported the same in a previous post.

Alpha, has this bug (^) been fixed yet?

Okey, I got really strange errors with editing SoulSilver in PPRE.

I basically changed only what Pokemon do appear on each route, that;s all.

Now it seems that events on these routes result in my No$GBA showing "Microfon failure" error.

For instance, event on Rt 34 (with ethan/lyra showing his/her grandparents) causes this, and the guy on Rt 31 giving Apricorn pouch makes the same error. However, the Farfetch'd event doesn;t do anything even though and I changed ilex forest data.

What can cause such problems?

I need some help with this..

I'm using my Macbook, and I know that there is a PPRE for this, but I can't figure out how to download and use it. I installed Python 2.6.5, and I couldn't figure out how to do anything. I can't figure out where to find QT4 or PyQT or anything that I need.. Can someone help me out?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure the issue has been completely resolved.

None of the changes I've made to scripts or functions have been saved (if I close the map edit window, they are not there when I re-open it).

Log reports this:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "ppre.pyw", line 3052, in updateScript

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'scriptFile'

File "ppre.pyw", line 2874, in moveChanged

IndexError: list index out of range

File "ppre.pyw", line 2874, in moveChanged

File "ppre.pyw", line 2274, in updateMap

File "ascript.pyc", line 547, in writeScript

File "ppre.pyw", line 2274, in updateMap

File "ascript.pyc", line 547, in writeScript

Changes I made in the map editor in regards to overworlds were saved properly and worked.

Edit: It appears that perhaps changes I make to EXISTING scripts and functions might be saved, but creating new scripts or functions is not saved. I don't have time to confirm it at the moment, but I will when I have more time.

Edit 2: It seems I was able to edit and save existing scripts in the Battle Frontier main area (272).

But in the Saffron Dojo (map 398), I was able to edit existing functions, but not existing scripts.

Any time I tried to make a new function or new script, it was not saved.

Edit 3:

I just found these files in my a/0/6 directory:

access_356.map

saffron.map

Now.... access could be Frontier Access, and Saffron could be the Dojo... and these could be temp files left over from Alpha's patch that he gave me to continue work on this project... because those are both areas that he edited and that I'm trying to edit. I wonder if this is causing the problem here. I'll try removing them and seeing what happens.

Edit 4:

That could have been the problem. I successfully edited a handful of scripts in the Dojo area. Seems to have worked so far.

Edited by Guested

Posting to confirm that in my own test play-through, I have run into a very similar problem as Oxnite:

Two of my six pokemon have consistently learned bizarre moves at levels they shouldn't, such as my Meganium learning Dragon Rage about 12 times, my Red Gyarados learning Guillotine, and both learning Sand Tomb & Frenzy Plant. I hadn't ever had this problem, however, until my most recent edit. This consisted of altering the wild pokemon in a few random locations and changing the level-up moves of Spearow & Fearow, if memory serves.

Could this be due to overlap, caused by adding too much information into an area of the rom that originally was much more concise?

What are your opinions on this, Alpha or SCV?

Edited by aninymouse

• 2 weeks later...

A new issue: while play-testing, I came across a nasty side effect of the level-up move editing: it erases the part of the rom the the Move Relearner calls on. You know, the guy who collects Heart Scales? Only Pokemon that I had edited the level-up moves for had their movelists deleted here: upon opening the re-learn menu, the first attack's flavor text is visible, but the info on the left [the attack's name and type] is missing. Moving the D-pad or touching the screen causes this info to disappear as well. The entire list is simply blank.

Those Pokemon that I hadn't altered yet had functioning move lists, however, so I know it has to do with how PPRE writes this data.

Guys I have a problem too with PPRE...I downloaded the 0.14b release but it won't run...when I try to get it running it shows me 'This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.'

I don't know what should I do...

Tried to download another release but it don't work either...

I'm running it on XP pro32 SP3...

Is there anything at all that can be done to allow you to re-learn attacks once the level-up move list has been altered? I'd say a good percentage of the time I've been tooling around has been solely on this aspect, and this is a pretty big problem.

Basically, I'm forced to either

A) Alter the levels everything learns attacks to coincide with the levels they're found in the wild, or

B) Players are forced to hatch their pokemon from eggs in order to have access to all the Pokemon's moves

Neither is a true solution, however, since sometimes you want to change your Pokemon's moveset as you progress into the after-game portion, and you would be forced to basically discard your Pokemon up to that point and start over. So, instead of just having one Pokemon with two easily switchable movesets, realistically you'd have to have two of the same Pokemon, which doubles your time investment! I mean, not everyone just Pokesavs up a team, sometimes you just wanna go at it the old fashioned way! You know?

If there's any way I could HELP you fix this, for instance, I'd be more than happy to do anything I could!

I'm having a rather strange problem that's stopping me from doing much. =/ Like piotr_mil on the previous page, if I so much as LOOK at Route 30 and save changes then the event where the apricorn man comes out of the house to give the box to you breaks and crashes/freezes the ROM whenever it is tripped. You are able to avoid it by talking to him first but that isn't really a sensible method, so I'm a bit at ends as to what to do.

Is there something I may have missed that's causing this problem?

For the record, I'm using a US Heart Gold ROM with no patches applied. I know people have done Route 30 fine with PPRE before (edits/hacks like Perfect Heart/Soul are evidence of that) so I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong...

I'm assuming the program is loading the script incorrectly and saving it wrongly when it saves, though I'm probably wrong in that regard.

EDIT: Okay I managed to get past it by forcing PPRE to go past the script due to it being an error (I just put in a load of gibberish in one of the scripts) and that seems to have fixed the problem. It's a bit of a strange problem but at least it is possible to get past it.

Edited by Drayano

• 3 weeks later...
this only happens when you max out a pokemon moveset pool' date=' did you do that? if you don't want to see this error, don't fill up the pokemon moveset. leave at least one moveset slot empty.[/quote']

I knew it had something to do with this, but I wasn't sure if it was due to giving them more moves than they originally had or if it was just maxing them out. Finally, an answer! Thanks!

I'll say this, though: certain Pokemon normally DO have their level-up moves maxed out, like (off the top of my head) Forretress, Venomoth, etc.

I hope you add the ability to edit trainer's pokemon's ability as well as a working move ditor for HGSS.

Honestly, I think attacks are the easiest things to hex edit (now that I've learned how)... you just have to make sure to do it before using PPRE. Or just do it on a clean copy and import the file to one edited by PPRE.

Ask me how!

Honestly, I think attacks are the easiest things to hex edit (now that I've learned how)... you just have to make sure to do it before using PPRE. Or just do it on a clean copy and import the file to one edited by PPRE.

Ask me how!

I did learn how to do it thanks to a post in here (I believe it was yours), but I'm just saying it would be more convenient if it was included in the editor :). I used attack editor ds, not quite familiar with hex editing.

Would you happen to know how to edit gym leader's pokemon's trainer ability? I imagine it should be something simple like replacing 1 with a 2.

Text bug (corrupted trainer names) was fixed a while ago, sorta forgot about that release :S Updated first post (it is still b014).

Hell yeah! Thanks a lot. : )

EDIT: So, I tried to edit Blue's pokemanz and after I saved an error appeared on the notepad thingie:

File "ppre.pyw", line 3332, in saveTrainer

File "ppre.pyw", line 3336, in saveText

File "texttopoke.pyc", line 93, in Makefile

File "texttopoke.pyc", line 54, in ToCode

UnboundLocalError: local variable 'errorReport' referenced before assignment

What do?

Edited by .Darky
  • Like 1

Hey guys, new to the forum and ROM hacking in general, and I'm just wondering if PPRE has any functionality for editing trainer AI levels? I've seen a few Platinum hacks floating around claiming to have upped the "intelligence" of trainers as the game progresses, but so far Googling has turned up no results.

I'm having trouble writing a new ROM.

I've been following a tutorial by Kazo on editing the overworlds in HG/SS, and I've been successful a few times.

But there's times where I go back to write another new ROM and nothing happens, the black coding box or whatever it is, doesn't pop up.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm having trouble writing a new ROM.

I've been following a tutorial by Kazo on editing the overworlds in HG/SS, and I've been successful a few times.

But there's times where I go back to write another new ROM and nothing happens, the black coding box or whatever it is, doesn't pop up.

What am I doing wrong?

Make sure you give each edit a new name. If you try to reuse old names and over-write the old one, you'll have to delete the "tmp" folder by that name to edit a file by that name again. Understand?