PPRE: Project Pokemon's ROM Editor

-I just tested one ROM, which had ONLY edited trainers, and the in-battle names of the trainers I mentioned before (Giovanni and Couples, Twins, etc.) are bugged.

-Then I tested another ROM, which had the edited script only, and I didn't encounter any problems.

Yes, when you try to edit trainers, PPRE overwrites data on the script file and it gets messed up.

After that, I tried to do this:

-I made a backup of the "7" file that contains the text. Then I copied it to the root temp folder of a ROM which had already the edited trainers. Since you can't actually write a ROM with PPRE after the tool has created the temp folder and closed the application I used thenewpoketext with the commands "mkrom *insert new .nds file name here*.

-After the new ROM was made I booted it on my flashcart. First, I went to battle Red. The edits I made were there, yay! Then I had a double battle and battled Giovanni...the names were not glitched, fuck yeah! BUT, when I challenged Green to a fight (his name was Green in the dialogue) his in-battle name was still Blue even though I DID change it to Green using the tool. This makes me believe that if you want to change a trainers' name, PPRE needs to overwrite some data on the file that contains the script.

I hope this gets fixed in a later release.

In regards to failing trainers, I don't quite see what is wrong. Can you please make sure that you have the most recent version of PPRE (earlier this week). If so, try a clean copy of your ROM out. And, if it does fail, then I will see what I can do. For me, it does work.

In regards to failing trainers, I don't quite see what is wrong. Can you please make sure that you have the most recent version of PPRE (earlier this week). If so, try a clean copy of your ROM out. And, if it does fail, then I will see what I can do. For me, it does work.

As stated before, the in-battle names of some trainers (Giovanni and Twins, Couple, etc) are Like this "?????????? ?????????" after editing the data of any trainer. I'm using the latest release of this tool, which I downloaded from the OP. Seems it's not my problem only since another user has reported the same in a previous post.

As stated before, the in-battle names of some trainers (Giovanni and Twins, Couple, etc) are Like this "?????????? ?????????" after editing the data of any trainer. I'm using the latest release of this tool, which I downloaded from the OP. Seems it's not my problem only since another user has reported the same in a previous post.

Same thing happens to me in Platinum, when I edit the two trainers in the Jubilife Trainer School. All I do is edit their pokemon and when battling they are named ??????

Before I say anything, I have to say this program is impressive.

However, ROMs created by this program seem to corrupt my flashcart from time to time. All the files in my R4 turn to jibberish with jibberish titles. I think this is only a problem for HeartGold, as I did not test it with Platinum. It usually happens when I create a .sav file for my ROM. I worked around this by using my backup .sav file.

Modifying the evolution tree was simple and very fun. There was a slight glitch when one of my Pokemon evolved, and it went back down 5 levels.

I'm sure you already know that HM/TM Edit, Move Editor, and items are not working for HeartGold/SoulSilver. There seem to be some uneditable features, such as Pokemon names and Trainer text. I think this is just for HeartGold, and I'll try Platinum later tonight.

I'll try editing Trainers and see if I get the same result as everyone else as well.

Alpha / SCV, I don't want to hurry you, I just want to tell you about another Bug I found.

Please relax and try solving this for a future release! You're both doing a great job, as this is the best Pokémon Rom Editing Tool I've seen so far.

When editing a random Text, like the text for Jubilife City, you sometimes come across variable names like \v0103\w0002\. This variable, for example, represents the Hero or Heroine's name. But, when you edit the Jubilife text and save the rom afterwards, the variable will be changed. It changes into something like: \v0103\w0002\z0001◇ぁ\x0001◇ぁ\x0001◇ぁ\x0001◇ぁ\x0001\x0000. Now, when you play the game and go to Jubilife, and a NPC says your name, it will be something like: Dawn*&* or Lucas*&&!*. So there are all kinds of weird.. tokens behind them.

I hope this explanation was accurate enough. My question is: are you able to solve this?

Another solution is to let PPRE translate the variable into something like 'HERONAME', so you can use that new variable. The Script System is doing the same thing; it translates 0034 into Closemsgonkeypress, for example.

There is one problem with your text variable bug.

I completely removed all characters other than \v and \z, there no longer are any \w's. I have solved what all variables mean, but I cannot change them to HERONAME because it varies and is ridiculously hard to parse.

As for Scripts, it has to translate the commands into its proper name.

Same thing happens to me in Platinum, when I edit the two trainers in the Jubilife Trainer School. All I do is edit their pokemon and when battling they are named ??????

The thing is that even if I don't edit Giovanni's pokemon (I only made some edits to Red, Elite Four and Gym Leaders) his name will always get corrupted like that. Same with the trainers in double battles.

I'm having a bit of a problem with writing ROMs. When I've finished editing the ROM, I type a different name to that of the original ROM in the textbox next to the "Write ROM" button, but when I click the button, nothing happens. Can anyone help me fix this? I'm using Vista, and I've already tried changing the compatibility mode to Windows XP.

wat

You can do that yourself with pokesav.

He probably means permanent editing, you can give a fake nickname with Pokesav but you can't overwrite the original name (The one in capital letters). As for that, I don't think Nintendo wanted original names to ever get changed, but that's concluding without evidence and with my awful intuition.

Something I've noticed as I change the evolutionary path. Sometimes, the level goes down by 5. For example: I change Typhlosion to evolve into Ho-Oh at level 45. When it evolves, Ho-Oh is actually at level 40, regressing 5 levels. I've tested this twice, and both times the level went down by 5, but I still can't see a common problem that would cause such a symptom. I hope it's just another slight typo in code.

EDIT: The same thing happens in Platinum. It appears to happen whenever I change the evolution tree.

Inspection of the Python error log seems to be all the same message:

TypeError: updatespdef() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)

TypeError: updatespdef() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)

TypeError: updatespatk() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)

TypeError: updatespatk() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)

And it continues for every stat I update. I believe this is a mere syntax error that came from the transition from D/P/Pt to HG/SS, but I have neither the Python knowhow nor a D/P/Pt rom to test it upon. To me, it seems that the interpreter is taking one argument at a time instead of both at once, leading to the double error, but then again that's just me. The stat changes worked fine in game.

EDIT: Same issue with Platinum.

Edited by therippeddeck
Additional Information

No new updates, just some things to address.

Trainer bug has been found, but not fixed. It occurs when a "long" trainer name is used, that is, "Amy and Mimi" or "Giovanni". PPRE rewrites names uncompressed on each trainer update because it allows the user to change the Trainer name. (So in theory, you can use a small name to get rid of all the ?????s). On the trainer note, you cannot edit the phrases yet; that is for a later update.

In regards to losing levels on evolution. Ho-oh belongs to the "slow" experience level and Typholosion is "medium slow" so at level 45, when typlosion evolves, it keeps the same number of experience points, which is now at a lesser level. (Typhlosion needs 83335 to get to level 45, and Ho-oh needs 113906 to get to level 45 and 86151 to get to level 41)

As for the updateStat functions, those are absolutely meaningless (They don't actually do anything)

Pokemon names: Well, they are everywhere. Its very hard to hit all of those places. I mean, I can do it, but its really not a priority.

@ TheClaw

Patience. The ROM writing process takes a very long time. Just wait for a few min, then check the same folder as PPRE (ndstool.exe has to be in that folder to work as well.)

A general suggestion about reading and writing errors (even though I have an error box that explains it), use short names for your ROMs, like heartgold.nds.

Trainer bug has been found, but not fixed. It occurs when a "long" trainer name is used, that is, "Amy and Mimi" or "Giovanni". PPRE rewrites names uncompressed on each trainer update because it allows the user to change the Trainer name. (So in theory, you can use a small name to get rid of all the ?????s).

Oh, I see.

If it's not too much to ask, do you think it will be possible to fix this problem in a future update?

Everything seems to be settled, but I recently found another issue. Every time I change the given effort values in HG/SS, I cannot write the rom (pressing write rom does nothing). This seems to be unrelated to the updateStat function. I hope I'm not the only one facing this error.

Everything seems to be settled, but I recently found another issue. Every time I change the given effort values in HG/SS, I cannot write the rom (pressing write rom does nothing). This seems to be unrelated to the updateStat function. I hope I'm not the only one facing this error.

EVs can only go up to 3 (because of structure) and, like I said before, you need to be patient when you hit write ROM.

EVs can only go up to 3 (because of structure) and, like I said before, you need to be patient when you hit write ROM.

I know the EVs only go up to 3, but ANY editing tends not to work. Usually, when I hit Write ROM, another screen pops up with Nintendo DS rom tool. What I mean when it does nothing is literally nothing happens. Deleting and recreating the _tmp folder seems to fix it. Of course that means I just lost the changes I made to the ROM. If you want a video of what I exactly mean, I can put one up somewhere.

@ TheClaw

Patience. The ROM writing process takes a very long time. Just wait for a few min, then check the same folder as PPRE (ndstool.exe has to be in that folder to work as well.)

A general suggestion about reading and writing errors (even though I have an error box that explains it), use short names for your ROMs, like heartgold.nds.

I named my ROM "SoulSilver.nds", checked that ndstool.exe was in the folder (which it was), clicked "Write ROM" and left it for an hour, but it still hadn't written a new ROM. Nothing happened at all. Is it possible that I have this problem because I use Vista? Or can you think of anything else that might be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

SCV,

Is there a list of which map number correlates to which map name (regarding HGSS)? If not, would it be possible for you to generate one? It's a pain in the butt if you're searching for one specific map and you have to go through 500+ to find it....

Also, as I asked one time before, a quick CTRL+F search function would greatly accelerate all text-searching&editing needs :smile: So if that'd be doable...

Haven't been here for a long time, has been quite some progress, that's great to see. :smile:

is there a fix to all the log text errors on ppre on pokemon soul silver without losing the new changed things on ppre ? and Traceback (most recent call last):

File "ppre.pyw", line 3068, in changedTrainer

File "<string>", line 1, in <module>

File "bytereader.pyc", line 6, in ReadByte

IndexError: list index out of rangewhy get this error can someone please help ?

Edited by sliver123