Online PKM Reader

Andy

Hi all,

Some of you may remember my online PKM Reader over at The Pokemart. Unfortunately, I've not been able to spend as much time as I'd like developing this, but Ii've managed to get it to a reasonably stable and documented stage, so I've now open-sourced the program.

So, if you head over to our Google Code page, you can now download the full source and the database that backs it up.

Hopefully, I'll be able to do some more development on this and co-ordinate contributions from anyone else that wants to get involved, so sign up if you can bring anything to the project.

Thanks guys,

Andy

Possibly so... I wasn't quite clear on what should go where. This seemed like a good option, but I suppose a project in development should be classified as R&D.

I'll leave it the hands of the moderators.

Hi all,

I've added a Development Roadmap to the project, which outlines where I hope it's going.

As you can see, there's a few niggly bits on there that need to be corrected fairly soon. After that the better stuff can begin.

Codemonkey: How's it going, dude? I was wondering what your programs use as a back-end database? The problem with PKM Reader at the moment is that it depends on a database server, so I'm throwing around ideas about a SQLite distribution to make it more portable. SQLite is nice because there are bindings for it for pretty much every programming language out there.

You know Andy, to be honest, all of my database information is hardcoded into my core library as dictionary objects (essentially hashtables). I'm not sure if this is viable or practical in a PHP / internet setting, but it works for me, because I don't have to supply any external files aside from the library .DLL during distribution. And after I initialize the dictionaries (which takes a few seconds), the lookup speed is pretty instantaneous as far as I can tell.

EDIT:

Hm, I almost accidentally edited your post instead of mine.

Basic PKM Support

* Contest Stats

* Alternate Forms

* Encounter Types

* Markings

* Get Missing Ribbon Icons

Further Development

* Create function to re-export the values as a new PKM file - this will eventually form the basis of making the values editable.

* Create function to move between Box-type and Party-type PKM files.

* Create function for calculating what damage it deals / takes from other types of Pokemon

I have done and can help you with the above things. Ribbons were extracted by Poryhack, and I have those as well as images for every item. Let me know what you need, or meet me on #PP-Research on the IRC.

Basic PKM Support

* Contest Stats

* Alternate Forms

* Encounter Types

* Markings

* Get Missing Ribbon Icons

Further Development

* Create function to re-export the values as a new PKM file - this will eventually form the basis of making the values editable.

* Create function to move between Box-type and Party-type PKM files.

* Create function for calculating what damage it deals / takes from other types of Pokemon

Next step: support for [almost] fully displaying/editing complete save files.

LOL. I think the online save editor is a long way off.

Codemonkey: Could you forward me any images that you have. Specifically, I want to complete the ribbon images I have, by finding the following:

Artist Ribbon

Blue Ribbon

Carnival Ribbon

Country Ribbon

Earth Ribbon

Festival Ribbon

Green Ribbon

Marine Ribbon

Legend Ribbon

Land Ribbon

History Ribbon

National Ribbon

Red Ribbon

Premier Ribbon

Record Ribbon

Sky Ribbon

Victory Ribbon

World Ribbon

Cheers mate,

Andy <andy@thepokemart.com>

Quick update on this. You can now save files out of the PKM Reader, in either standard box format or party format. When you view a PKM file, you'll notice there are two action links at the bottom of the page for this:

pokemart_save_actions.png

The PKM reader will also accept both types, essentially making it an online convertor as well.

Andy

Wow, that's pretty handy. This is exactly the direction I think people were hoping this project would go in. Great job!

EDIT:

Andy, I just tested a random Pokémon, and it seems the IVs are being read incorrectly. I've attached it for you to have a look-see.

According to your site, the IVs are 0, 17, 5, 29, 17, 13.

Here is what the PKM looks like in Legal:

Arceus_Legal.png

017_arceus.pkm

017_arceus.pkm

Edited by codemonkey85

LOL. There's a comment in my code where the IVs are calculated that says "Are these figures right? Might need to compensate for little endian order". Oops. Should really learn to go back and read my own notes from time to time.

All fixed now though!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Quick point for discussion. If you were able to search through a databank of downloadable PKM files, what criteria would you want to search on. Here's what I've got so far:

Species (including alternate forms)

Type(s)

Minimum Level

Ability

Moveset

I'm doing some work on the PKM Reader this weekend - have got functions working to regenerate the hash so am getting very close to being able to add editing capabilities.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand why everyone thinks the Characteristic is so important. It's really just aesthetic when you can already see the IVs anyway.

Ahh, someone is using my library! Nice. I will be updating that shortly, FYI.

Just so this post isn't totally spam, how's progress going, Andy?

I added that to my version:

http://www.uniquegeeks.net/pkmdb/

Thanks to CodeMonkey85 for his Code Library I am using.

cool - i look forward to it :)

I don't understand why everyone thinks the Characteristic is so important. It's really just aesthetic when you can already see the IVs anyway.

Ahh, someone is using my library! Nice. I will be updating that shortly, FYI.

Just so this post isn't totally spam, how's progress going, Andy?

I like to see the characteristics because if an event has random natures - the characteristics can be different as well. And because I don't really understand IVs so the info is lose on me :)

• 6 months later...