Smash Bros to be released on 3DS and WiiU.

XXASHXX

Not sure if this counts as a spin off game but today I saw the trailer for the new Super Smash Bros games for the new era of Smash Bros. Mega Man is to make his debut this time around but I am not sure if if his robo dog Rush or Dr. Wily will be part of it. Also there will be a ton of new levels and Pokemon as well. I have not seen the new Pokemon level yet so I am not sure if they kept the new Pokemon Stadium stage like the one in the 1st and 2nd versions. I have not played Brawl so I only saw the level on trailers etc.:)

Ah ok. was not sure where to put it. I had a toss up between the 2 forums. Thanks xD. I don't have the link to the video but I can confirm Mega Man wil. be in the game. Looks like the baisic 8 characters will be in and from what I hear you can connect to previous Smash Bros titles and the 3DS can be used a a separate controller. Have not heard how Wi-Fi will work yet but I think it will be Wi-Fi ready as well.:)

• 1 month later...

I can post the links if you'd prefer.

[video=youtube;zlz-WOglHgo]

[video=youtube;JmCVzjGVFy4]

[video=youtube;BM3K-zjh18Y]

Speaking of Pokémon, both Lucario and Mewtwo have had the spotlight shone on them once again due to the announced Megavolutions... so which character would get in? Lucario? Mewtwo? Both?

Oh, and will the super-form play a part in the character if either of them do get in? As a final smash or an alternate form (like zelda and samus have)?

Oh, and for updates, all the characters get announced here:

http://smashbros.com/

Luigi and Olimar are confirmed, as are all the characters shown in the trailers!

3DS, from what I know, is pretty similar to the Wii U version. Some changes are meant to be different, but the characters are going to be the same and base gameplay mechanics will stay the same.

The graphics are different, of course. They're cell shaded, like Yoshi's Island. I don't really mind these graphics although I do prefer the Wii U ones.

According to Sakurai, though...

BSNikizCUAAK4MO.png:large

(spoiler for the large image)

According to Sakurai, you can change the amount of black outline, so that'll help a lot with the graphics. I wonder how that'll affect the hitboxes though - will it make it confusing if you change the outlines?

Oh, and Weegee is confirmed to be back. And we have a Pilotwings stage.

Finally, we have a Project M stage. I can post some more info as it comes along if you guys want, but most of this info can be found on Smashboards and the other Smash-focused sites, so there isn't really much point...

That move seems really inventive to me, I like it a lot. On the other hand, it'll probably be pretty useless in competitive. Too easy to see coming and takes too long to set up. It could be pretty useful in doubles though... if you keep the tree up, Dedede (assuming he retains his downthrow chaingrab) could have a downthrow infinite chain, meaning Villager could make a pretty good partner in doubles (especially when you factor in the "energy storing" thing).

that moonwalk tho, so much swagger

I will probably get the game but i dont like how its in the 3ds or wii u platform and its harder to play with other players (not many people own any of these)

I hope they bring back more old characters and have mewtwo or lucario in mega form xD

wii fit trainer? ...seriously nintendo? lol

Um, sorry but... what?

Lots of people own 3DS and quite a lot of people have the Wii U, or will have one by the time Smash comes out. It's their next gen consoles, why on earth would they release it on the DS or Wii?

I'm not really interested in any of the melee characters that were removed, personally. Too many arguments about whether Mewtwo or Lucario will be in has resulted in me wanting them both to be scrapped in favour of some other Pokémon.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know they haven't announced any backwards compatibility with Brawl. That isn't to say that it wont happen, but it's extremely, EXTREMELY unlikely.

What you heard is that the 3DS and Wii U versions are compatible. However, they can't play with each other.

Sound confusing? From what I can tell this either means that you'll be able to watch people from the other platform play (Don't know how that'd work, though) or more likely, there'll be some 'sticker trading' aspect of it. Sending your data over to trade stickers or to put your 3DS win/loss ratio on your Wii U profile, too, maybe. I don't really know. But no, SSB4 wont be backwards compatible afaik.

How do you guys feel about Peach? Actually no, that's a stupid question. Looks like her moves are the same and it's obviously no surprise she's in the game. Honestly, she could be top tier if she was given better kill options - that's all she was lacking in Brawl.

Find__Taab is completely off base about Wii U. That console has been spectacularly failing worldwide. It's been out for a year with few games people actually want to play, has only comparable graphics to current gen gaming, and lots of people think it is just some sort of Wii add on. And on top of that, it is going up against PS4/XBone in December and will likely get clobbered.

There's 30+million 3DS owners out there and that's a good incentive for them to start releasing good ports to the 3DS.

I'll wait and see with Smash. If it doesn't play well on the handheld, I won't buy it.

Find__Taab is completely off base about Wii U. That console has been spectacularly failing worldwide. It's been out for a year with few games people actually want to play, has only comparable graphics to current gen gaming, and lots of people think it is just some sort of Wii add on. And on top of that, it is going up against PS4/XBone in December and will likely get clobbered.

There's 30+million 3DS owners out there and that's a good incentive for them to start releasing good ports to the 3DS.

I'll wait and see with Smash. If it doesn't play well on the handheld, I won't buy it.

Hah, does that really matter though?

On the "what console it plays" subject, why on earth would they put it on the Wii? They're guaranteeing Wii U sales with the game - putting it on the Wii or DS would be a terrible idea.

As for the other issue, think about what smash predominantly is - a multiplayer game. Sure, more people have a 3DS, but you need every friend to have a 3DS to play with each other - you only need one Wii U. Not to mention that the Wii U version will inevitably play better just because of the larger screen size (and the more precise hitboxes/whatever else). For both a friendly party version and a competitive tournament game the Wii U version is far superior to the 3DS version.

Think about Mario Kart, as a rough example. The handheld versions are great, arguably with better controls. But all you can really do is have a quick match every now and then - it's much more of a single player game because of the limitations. Sure you can go on wifi, but you can't get a real tournament set up for it - or if you can, it'll be a lot harder to manage than one on a console. Both in real life and online.

People will still buy the 3DS version of course, but now that Subspace is gone there isn't really much of a reason to buy it over the Wii U. If you don't want to buy a Wii U then sure, but if you have both platforms... why would you buy the 3DS version? I don't see it.

Smash is both a party and a fighting franchise - for those reasons alone the Wii U version will be the more popular game. (I'm not even going to go into how annoying setting up competitive tournaments with the 3DS screens would be).

Hah, does that really matter though?

Currentlly there's 3.6 million consoles shipped with god only knows how many sitting in Nintendo warehouses.

It matters because when the install base is so low, people aren't necessarily going to buy a system for one game. There's 30+ million 3ds owners and literally 10% of that of Wii U owners. There's a shitton of people who own a 3DS and not a Wii U. So a (good) 3DS port is going to give them a good game, why would they buy a Wii U?

What I'm saying is releasing for the 3DS is a smart move.

On the "what console it plays" subject, why on earth would they put it on the Wii? They're guaranteeing Wii U sales with the game - putting it on the Wii or DS would be a terrible idea.

I never mentioned releasing on the Wii or DS so I don't know what you're talking about.

As for the other issue, think about what smash predominantly is - a multiplayer game. Sure, more people have a 3DS, but you need every friend to have a 3DS to play with each other - you only need one Wii U. Not to mention that the Wii U version will inevitably play better just because of the larger screen size (and the more precise hitboxes/whatever else). For both a friendly party version and a competitive tournament game the Wii U version is far superior to the 3DS version.

Think about Mario Kart, as a rough example. The handheld versions are great, arguably with better controls. But all you can really do is have a quick match every now and then - it's much more of a single player game because of the limitations. Sure you can go on wifi, but you can't get a real tournament set up for it - or if you can, it'll be a lot harder to manage than one on a console. Both in real life and online.

People will still buy the 3DS version of course, but now that Subspace is gone there isn't really much of a reason to buy it over the Wii U. If you don't want to buy a Wii U then sure, but if you have both platforms... why would you buy the 3DS version? I don't see it.

Smash is both a party and a fighting franchise - for those reasons alone the Wii U version will be the more popular game. (I'm not even going to go into how annoying setting up competitive tournaments with the 3DS screens would be).

I don't really see what is so hard about having online tournaments. Sony and Microsoft have been doing it for ages. We even had Pokemon online tournaments officially organized by Nintendo that counted to VGC.

I know Smash is a game you play with people, but there's no reason you can't both have a viable person-to-person multi-player game AND a good online setup too.

There's certainly advantages to Smash on Wii U, I'll grant you that. But my only point is the U has horrible sales and I really don't know if the whole "people will buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games" logic will continue to own up. Again, there's 27 million more people with a 3DS. Why in the world would they buy a $250 console and a $60 game when they could buy one $40 game?

What I'm saying is releasing for the 3DS is a smart move.

Obviously. I'm just not sure it'll be the main platform for the game's usage.

I never mentioned releasing on the Wii or DS so I don't know what you're talking about.

Sorry, some other guy did earlier in the thread, iirc. I was referring to that.

I don't really see what is so hard about having online tournaments. Sony and Microsoft have been doing it for ages. We even had Pokemon online tournaments officially organized by Nintendo that counted to VGC.

Online tournaments certainly aren't impossible - they just aren't common. Maybe they would've been more common if Smash had a half-decent system when it came to online play, but as it was, it could often get unplayable because of the lag.

Maybe that's why, but I'm not sure if they'd have that many 'online tournaments' even then. Online games were mainly practice for "legitimate" tournaments which were played in person. Less lag, less input issues, more fair, easier to have a ruleset... it's just better to play in person.

Even if it isn't competitive, if you're doing a tournament with commentary, e.g. runawayguys, you'll need to be in person for it to be successful. That means Wii U over 3DS. If you're playing with real-life friends, you'll much prefer Wii U over 3DS. 3DS will be bought just as much, don't get me wrong, but I see the 3DS version as a game to play in the car, or, to put it simply, as a "portable" game. That's perfectly fine, but I see the Wii U version getting played much more often even if it sells less.

I know Smash is a game you play with people, but there's no reason you can't both have a viable person-to-person multi-player game AND a good online setup too.

Not arguing otherwise.

There's certainly advantages to Smash on Wii U, I'll grant you that. But my only point is the U has horrible sales and I really don't know if the whole "people will buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games" logic will continue to own up.

I think it will. That's how it's worked forever - brand value is almost always put above quality.

Again, there's 27 million more people with a 3DS. Why in the world would they buy a $250 console and a $60 game when they could buy one $40 game?

Smash isn't the only "to buy" game being made for Wii U. I feel like people forget that a lot.

On a side note, holy doodley. Toon Link has been confirmed, people! I think I said he wouldn't be in, because of the Minish Cap stage, although I can't really remember. If so, I'm sorry for my mistake! He looks to be the same as in Brawl, but it's hard to tell because they're only pictures. The physics system will change the characters more than the movesystem ever could, too. I'm actually pretty glad he's in, though. He might be a "clone" character, but out of all of them he's my favourite clone. Unless we're counting Wolf, but he's not a goddamn clone. If you say he is then I hate you.

screen-6.jpg

Is this a Mega Man stage? Looking at the cannon and the floor I think it is, although I'm not entirely sure.

If you are not sure about smash 4 check out the videos in the eshop. It looks pretty cool man. Also if you are srill unsure download it from the eshop before you physically buy it. I may do this with X/Y xD.:)

If you are not sure about smash 4 check out the videos in the eshop. It looks pretty cool man. Also if you are srill unsure download it from the eshop before you physically buy it. I may do this with X/Y xD.:)

Why would you pay full price for a digital download of something you're "unsure" of buying????

I'm not complaining about Smash. I'm just pointing out that those poo-pooing the handheld version are just being console warriors. It makes tons of sense to put out a handheld version since 27 million more people own the handheld compared to the home console.