Changing the Rival's name in Soul Silver

Preston

I've searched but I can't figure out how to edit my rival's name in these games. Does anyone know how or even an action replay code to do it? I want to change his name to Silver. If I upload save files that only differ in the rival's name, could anyone figure it out from there? Or, could someone guide me on how I could figure it out myself?

Pokesav for HG/SS can't edit the rival's name.

The only possibility is hex editing.

Rival's name in HG/SS is stored at 0x22D4 - 0x22E3

Just open your save file in a hex editor and replace the bytes at 0x22D4 with 3D 01 4D 01 50 01 5A 01 49 01 56 01 FF FF 00 00 (the characters should be the same as in D/P)

Then open your save file with PokeGen and save it, without editing something else, to fix the checksum.

Your rival's name should be Silver then.

Pokesav for HG/SS can't edit the rival's name.

The only possibility is hex editing.

Rival's name in HG/SS is stored at 0x22D4 - 0x22E3

Just open your save file in a hex editor and replace the bytes at 0x22D4 with 3D 01 4D 01 50 01 5A 01 49 01 56 01 FF FF 00 00 (the characters should be the same as in D/P)

Then open your save file with PokeGen and save it, without editing something else, to fix the checksum.

Your rival's name should be Silver then.

Thanks, it looks like that worked. Is there a list or a guide on where HG/SS save data is stored?

• 7 years later...

Sorry to post to long after the thread was made, but I cant find any other information elsewhere. I also want to change my rival name, but the character table seems to have been deleted, so I don't k ow which hex values I should be using. Also I don't know how to obtain the save file off my game and how to put it back in. Could someone give a brief explanation as to how to do this or link to somewhere with updated and relevant information?

Thanks

If I'm correct, to obtain a sav file, you must be playing on an emulator (DeSmuMe I think) and you must choose the "Export Save data" or smth (It's been a while since I played Pokemon sry) then you should obtain a sav file. Later you can open it in HxD or any hex editor.

10 hours ago, Billord said:

Sorry to post to long after the thread was made, but I cant find any other information elsewhere. I also want to change my rival name, but the character table seems to have been deleted, so I don't k ow which hex values I should be using. Also I don't know how to obtain the save file off my game and how to put it back in. Could someone give a brief explanation as to how to do this or link to somewhere with updated and relevant information?

I don't even think that table ever existed. What I did back then was editing the own trainer name in a trash save file and then copying these values over from the OT offset to the offset for the rival's name.
In PKHeX you can ctrl+click on the OT textbox to get a window that shows you the character values.

2 hours ago, 0x3DD3CE said:

If I'm correct, to obtain a sav file, you must be playing on an emulator (DeSmuMe I think) and you must choose the "Export Save data" or smth (It's been a while since I played Pokemon sry) then you should obtain a sav file. Later you can open it in HxD or any hex editor.

There are a few possibilities to obtain your save file on a real console as well, for more info check this https://projectpokemon.org/tutorials/save-editing/managing-nds-saves/