How do you to EV train?

I'm going to ask a couple noob questions about EV training since I'm used to Gen 1 and 2. I want to practice EV training for the new pokemon X and Y. I've already read alot about it from other forums, but there are some things that weren't made clear to me so I hope someone can help.

1. If two pokemon battle a foe pokemon who gets the EV? Just the pokemon that defeated it?

2. I've read alot that people ev train after the in-game story is done, but does that mean they train a set of 6 new pokemon? Because Gym leaders, trainer battles and wild pokemon will give EV and it would seem pointless to wait till after all of that

3. When do the ev's take effect? I've been practicing already and my Lillipup battled 8 patrats so that's 8 atk evs so I should of got a +2 atk added since 4evs = +1, but my lillipup's atk stat still only went up by 1 everytime it leveled up. It's nature is Adamant

If anyone can help, Thank you!

This is not the right forum to post this on, so I will move it.

1. Every Pokemon who participated in the battle will receive EV. That includes your Magikarp with the EXP Share.

2. Yes, some people would train a set of 6 new Pokemon, as EVs are kind of irrelevant for in-game purpose. Or... they shove a bunch of EV-reducing berries to "reset" the Pokemon back to 0 EVs so they can start clean once more. However, they would rather do this to Pokemon with the right nature and IVs rather than do it to their regular in-game Pokemon, who are far from "optimised" for battle, unless one was incredibly blessed with the right stats.

3. All EVs will add up by the time you are at Level 100. That is a total of max of 63 stat points per stat, as 255 is essentially the maximum. Just keep in mind that IVs and base stats ALSO take into effect. With Lillipup it is not too noticeable because it is only at its basic stage (especially during the early levels), even if Attack is its highest stat. If it becomes a Stoutland, you may notice the effect. Also, keep mind of EV enhancing items or Pokerus, the former which aids you into receiving extra EVs (Macho Brace doubles your EV growth), and the latter essentially doubling your EV gain. And yes, they stack.

• Like 1

To expand in what wraith said there are also a number of places throughout the game that are significantly better than others for EV training. For instance, if you can find a cave with pretty much 100% Zubat that means for Speed training purposes you'll be wasting a lot less time. I'm not familiar with the new games and certainly haven't played then to any reasonable extent but I know Serebii has an amazing article on EV training and also lists locations to optimise said training.

• Like 1