3DS: How to backup/restore your retail cartridge save file for 3DS games

evandixon

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could have added this to my other thread for NDS games, but I made a new thread for the sake of simplicity, and so I can discuss the state of things in the 3DS save hacking world.

Please note: Some (if not all) games encrypt the save in such a way it cannot be put on a different card. This means no downloading saves from the internet and putting them on your game, and no save editors for the time being.

As of now, there is no way to backup the save file from the cartridge for Pokémon X or Y (or Animal Crossing: New Leaf).

There's four methods I know of. 3 of them are USB adapters. The 4th lets you use a flashcart, DS lite (or original DS), and Wi-Fi.

DSaveManager:

DSaveManager

Pros:

-Some people won't have to buy new hardware

-Backing up 3DS saves works on most games

Cons:

-You'll have to cut off that plastic tab thingy keeping the game from entering the DS. Unless newer games put part of the cartridge in that, no harm should come to your game.

-The DS lite and original DS require unsecured or WEP Wi-Fi, both of which are insecure and outdated. Most everybody's Wi-Fi is WPA now.

-Some games don't backup properly.

-I have absolutely no idea if this supports regular DS games

Now for USB adapters. I recommend the NDS Backup Adapter Plus:

NDS Backup Adapter Plus:

Pros:

-Supports updates so games that currently are unsupported may be supported in the future.

-Supports backing up games with IR ports

-Supports backing up 3DS save files (with firmware upgrade v3.0)

-Simple software. Beginner friendly.

Cons:

-Windows 7 64 bit drivers require Driver Signature Enforcement to be overridden. Options include pressing F8 on start up then selecting Disable Driver Signature Enforcement, or using the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider. Use these steps to use it on Windows 8.

-Doesn't backup ROM data (however, this could save you legal trouble)

Where to buy:

Amazon - Amazon is always a good store to buy from. As of 10/14/13, this is shipped from Amazon, so they'll give customer service if needed.

Quicker Buy - I haven't heard of these guys until I did a bing search to find other stores to link to here. Buy at your own risk (however, they may still be a good store)

Then there's the SMS4:

SMS4:

Pros:

-Supports updates so games that currently are unsupported may be supported in the future.

-Supports backing most up 3DS saves

-Supports backing up NDS ROMS

Cons:

-I have yet to find a store in or adjacent to the United States that sells one.

-
Its software is confusing, and in order to have full functionality. you must use two programs. I've put together
a package
that should make figuring this out way easier.
I have yet to try out the latest program update. This may fix the problems I had.

-Requires
these steps
in order to work on Windows 8

Where to buy:

- Where I bought mine from. Their shipper's tracking system was fail, but it got here right on time.

And there's also the R4i Save Dongle:

R4i Save Dongle

I don't actually have one, so here's the summary of a review I found, along with a few of my notes:

Pros:

-Backups and Restores your own saves perfectly

-Easy to use

-Easy to upgrade

Cons:

-Save Backup/Restore Tool Crashes a Lot (for the reviewer, at least)

-Like the NDS Backup Adapter Plus, doesn't backup ROMs

I don't know if it has signed drivers or not. If you have any problems, refer to my thread on how to make it work.

If anyone finds anything else, tell me so I can add it to this list.

[Edit]

There's a new method, only for those with a 3DS at 4.x firmware.

Hi,

I am new here and I found this posting helpful however I am kind of confused ok what hardware(s) I already own or need to buy to a do what I am looking to do.

So this is the hardware I currently own

1x Nintendo DS lite (gba) cart

1x Nintendo 3ds xl

1x action replay gba duo

1x action replay dsi with micro SD slot

1x action replay power saves pro

What I would like to do is backup my pokemon diamond, pearl soul silver, pokemon black and possible omega ruby save files. I just want to ability to backup and restore my game saves. I do not wish to edit or change saves just back them up.

I am aware with my AR dsi with micro I am able to save and restore diamond and peral without issues. The problem is soul silver, it won't read on my AR dsi or power saves.

So my question what is the best option to backup soul silver & black save files? Back them up and restore them too? Any recommendations on hardware and where to buy them. Am I able to backup and restore omega ruby alpha sapphire with AR power saves pro? Any help would be great.

Hi,

I am new here and I found this posting helpful however I am kind of confused ok what hardware(s) I already own or need to buy to a do what I am looking to do.

So this is the hardware I currently own

1x Nintendo DS lite (gba) cart

1x Nintendo 3ds xl

1x action replay gba duo

1x action replay dsi with micro SD slot

1x action replay power saves pro

What I would like to do is backup my pokemon diamond, pearl soul silver, pokemon black and possible omega ruby save files. I just want to ability to backup and restore my game saves. I do not wish to edit or change saves just back them up.

I am aware with my AR dsi with micro I am able to save and restore diamond and peral without issues. The problem is soul silver, it won't read on my AR dsi or power saves.

So my question what is the best option to backup soul silver & black save files? Back them up and restore them too? Any recommendations on hardware and where to buy them. Am I able to backup and restore omega ruby alpha sapphire with AR power saves pro? Any help would be great.

You will need to get a DS flashcard or another DS backup adapter if you wish to backup and restore those 2 games, the cheapest method would be to buy a standard r4 flashcard though but otherwise you can get an r4i save dongle which seems to work perfectly on the latest update, i've always ordered from gamekool and had no problems before and the delivery seems to be fast too.

You will need to get a DS flashcard or another DS backup adapter if you wish to backup and restore those 2 games, the cheapest method would be to buy a standard r4 flashcard though but otherwise you can get an r4i save dongle which seems to work perfectly on the latest update, i've always ordered from gamekool and had no problems before and the

delivery seems to be fast too.

Which one should I buy? BTW thanks for the help so far

http://www.gamekool.com/r4-ds-r4i-c-1.html?zenid=e2b2f7fd3c705ae0ac5ba0646c5cf3d5

Edited by mudkip83

Which one should I buy? BTW thanks for the help so far

http://www.gamekool.com/r4-ds-r4i-c-1.html?zenid=e2b2f7fd3c705ae0ac5ba0646c5cf3d5

Pokedoc's tool is your best bet: http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?12405-A-tool-to-backup-HG-SS-saves

If your Action Replay GBA Duo can run homebrew (it most likely can't), then that's the easiest way

If the MicroSD in your ARDSi is 2GB or less, you don't need anything else but Wi-Fi (unsecured or WEP; WPA won't work). You just need to DLDI patch Pokedoc's tool with the Games 'n Music patch. If you don't know how to do that, you can use DS Organize. Run DSOrganize-gnm.nds, then use that to run the tool I linked to above. DS Organize is a bit unstable when writing to the MicroSD, so I don't recommend doing anything but use it to DLDI patch things.

If you don't have compatible Wi-Fi, then you could consider a USB adapter, like the NDS Backup Tool Plus, SMS4, or R4i Backup Adapter. Keep in mind those devices don't play nicely with 64 bit Windows, and will require some bypassing (see the cons in the OP). I have had little luck using them recently, so either Windows 8 changed something making it no longer work, or I'm doing something wrong.

If you have soldering experience and are brave, you can look at this guide, but I don't recommend it.

If none of the above apply to you or you don't have enough hardware, you have a few options:

-Get unsecured or WEP Wi-Fi. For security purposes, if you do this, you should only leave it running when you need it for your saves.

-Get an EZ Flash 3in1.

-Get any slot 2 flashcart that can run NDS homebrew.

-Get a usb adapter, like the NDS Backup Adapter Plus, SMS4, or R4i Backup Adapter. (If you're on a 64 bit Windows OS, you'll have to do some extra steps, which may or may not work.)

Pokedoc's tool is your best bet: http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?12405-A-tool-to-backup-HG-SS-saves

If your Action Replay GBA Duo can run homebrew (it most likely can't), then that's the easiest way

If the MicroSD in your ARDSi is 2GB or less, you don't need anything else but Wi-Fi (unsecured or WEP; WPA won't work). You just need to DLDI patch Pokedoc's tool with the Games 'n Music patch. If you don't know how to do that, you can use DS Organize. Run DSOrganize-gnm.nds, then use that to run the tool I linked to above. DS Organize is a bit unstable when writing to the MicroSD, so I don't recommend doing anything but use it to DLDI patch things.

If you don't have compatible Wi-Fi, then you could consider a USB adapter, like the NDS Backup Tool Plus, SMS4, or R4i Backup Adapter. Keep in mind those devices don't play nicely with 64 bit Windows, and will require some bypassing (see the cons in the OP). I have had little luck using them recently, so either Windows 8 changed something making it no longer work, or I'm doing something wrong.

If you have soldering experience and are brave, you can look at this guide, but I don't recommend it.

If none of the above apply to you or you don't have enough hardware, you have a few options:

-Get unsecured or WEP Wi-Fi. For security purposes, if you do this, you should only leave it running when you need it for your saves.

-Get an EZ Flash 3in1.

-Get any slot 2 flashcart that can run NDS homebrew.

-Get a usb adapter, like the NDS Backup Adapter Plus, SMS4, or R4i Backup Adapter. (If you're on a 64 bit Windows OS, you'll have to do some extra steps, which may or may not work.)

Thanks so much for the help I appreciate all the info you provided to me I'm sure one will do what I need.

1 last question. I'm looking at the r4 cards and I see a lot of variants. Which one is the best option to go with? Both work with ds lite and 3ds

I see r4i sdhc 3ds, r4i 3ds gold, r4i sdhc silver, etc which is the best?

Thanks so much for the help I appreciate all the info you provided to me I'm sure one will do what I need.

1 last question. I'm looking at the r4 cards and I see a lot of variants. Which one is the best option to go with? Both work with ds lite and 3ds

I see r4i sdhc 3ds, r4i 3ds gold, r4i sdhc silver, etc which is the best?

When dealing with R4 clones, it's hard to say. Just make sure Wood R4 runs on it.

Also note that the only thing a flashcart like this would do for backing up your Soul Silver save is let you use a MicroSD card with storage from 2GB to 32GB. The card itself does more than the ARDSi, but little more for this particular task.

When dealing with R4 clones, it's hard to say. Just make sure Wood R4 runs on it.

Also note that the only thing a flashcart like this would do for backing up your Soul Silver save is let you use a MicroSD card with storage from 2GB to 32GB. The card itself does more than the ARDSi, but little more for this particular task.

Thank you so much for all the help. It was a big help. Good to know other members of project pokemon are so helpful. Thanks again :)

• 2 weeks later...
I could have added this to my other thread for NDS games, but I made a new thread for the sake of simplicity, and so I can discuss the state of things in the 3DS save hacking world.

Please note: Some (if not all) games encrypt the save in such a way it cannot be put on a different card. This means no downloading saves from the internet and putting them on your game, and no save editors for the time being.

As of now, there is no way to backup the save file from the cartridge for Pokémon X or Y (or Animal Crossing: New Leaf).

There's four methods I know of. 3 of them are USB adapters. The 4th lets you use a flashcart, DS lite (or original DS), and Wi-Fi.

DSaveManager:

DSaveManager

Pros:

-Some people won't have to buy new hardware

-Backing up 3DS saves works on most games

Cons:

-You'll have to cut off that plastic tab thingy keeping the game from entering the DS. Unless newer games put part of the cartridge in that, no harm should come to your game.

-The DS lite and original DS require unsecured or WEP Wi-Fi, both of which are insecure and outdated. Most everybody's Wi-Fi is WPA now.

-Some games don't backup properly.

-I have absolutely no idea if this supports regular DS games

Now for USB adapters. I recommend the NDS Backup Adapter Plus:

NDS Backup Adapter Plus:

Pros:

-Supports backing up 3DS save files (with firmware upgrade v3.0)

-Simple software. Beginner friendly.

Cons:

-Windows 7 64 bit drivers require Driver Signature Enforcement to be overridden. Options include pressing F8 on start up then selecting Disable Driver Signature Enforcement, or using the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider. Use these steps to use it on Windows 8.

-Doesn't backup ROM data (however, this could save you legal trouble)

Where to buy:

Amazon - Amazon is always a good store to buy from. As of 10/14/13, this is shipped from Amazon, so they'll give customer service if needed.

Quicker Buy - I haven't heard of these guys until I did a bing search to find other stores to link to here. Buy at your own risk (however, they may still be a good store)

Then there's the SMS4:

SMS4:

Pros:

-Supports backing most up 3DS saves

-Supports backing up NDS ROMS

Cons:

-I have yet to find a store in or adjacent to the United States that sells one.

-
Its software is confusing, and in order to have full functionality. you must use two programs. I've put together
a package
that should make figuring this out way easier.
I have yet to try out the latest program update. This may fix the problems I had.

-Requires
these steps
in order to work on Windows 8

Where to buy:

- Where I bought mine from. Their shipper's tracking system was fail, but it got here right on time.

And there's also the R4i Save Dongle:

R4i Save Dongle

I don't actually have one, so here's the summary of a review I found, along with a few of my notes:

Pros:

-Backups and Restores your own saves perfectly

-Easy to use

-Easy to upgrade

Cons:

-Save Backup/Restore Tool Crashes a Lot (for the reviewer, at least)

-Like the NDS Backup Adapter Plus, doesn't backup ROMs

I don't know if it has signed drivers or not. If you have any problems, refer to my thread on how to make it work.

If anyone finds anything else, tell me so I can add it to this list.

[Edit]

There's a new method, only for those with a 3DS at 4.x firmware.

Quick question what does it mean by doesn't backup roms?

Quick question what does it mean by doesn't backup roms?

I posted these devices because they can backup raw save files, but some methods can also back up the game itself, so it can be used on flashcarts (two advantages are that you don't need to download it for ROM hacks, and you can have more than one game on the same cartridge).

• 2 months later...
I have Backed up my Pokemon Y whit Powersaves and Decrypted it and edited whit PKHeX.

Any idea how to send edited save back to game.

My hardware:

3ds 9.9.0-26E

R4i Save Dongle

Action Replay DS Updated to work whit 3ds

Powersaves

R4i SDHC card

You can't right now. If you had a 3DS firmware less than or equal to 9.2 and greater than 4.5, you could use savedatafiler.

There's also development of a tool called tdvs that should work on 9.9, but it's not out yet. Be sure to download IronFall from the eShop for free, because it will likely be removed when the exploit is released.

Is it possible to decrypt Powersaves backup files of oras? It seems that the x999 tool code doesn't work anymore on games without existing saves, so there's no way to generate a keystream. Or am I wrong?

I'm not sure i used it to decrypt Y save and every thing worked fine.