3DS: How to backup/restore your retail cartridge save file for 3DS games

evandixon

EDIT:

BTW, I hope you release that you posted in the wrong thread; this place is for 3DS carts.

We have a thread dedicated for NDS carts here.

Well I saw that thread first, but it says right off the bat that you can’t use any of those methods with a 3DS, so I thought all those options were out of the question. Like I said, I only have 3DS XLs, no DS/DS Lite/DSi/DSi XL. If I’m in the wrong place, sorry!

Anyhow, not to be rude, that was one heck of a long post.

Next time, consider summarizing and listing it in point form.

It'll be easier to reply

Haha sorry, I just like to be thorough so people know exactly what I’m asking and to help me get the appropriate answer (plus it saves me from doing the “thanks, but that’s not what I meant” responses).

I did try to basically make it in point form (without the actual points) by keeping each question in a separate paragraph. Sorry if it didn’t help though :x

If you backed up a save that is corrupted, or corrupted a save, then you decided to restore it,

You need to start over (because now the save on the cart is corrupted)

By this, do you mean if the save file I’m trying to back up is already corrupted? Or if the save file on the cartridge ends up corrupted but I still have an earlier save backed up?

Thanks a lot for the answers :) I’m really clueless when it comes to how all this hardware and software works on the games.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Powersaves 3DS Software

Windows XP Download

Windows Vista Download

Windows 7 Download

Windows 8 Download

Macintosh OS X Coming Soon

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOO! :(

Anyone tried to see if it definitely works yet, though? On Windows? I've got saves with unclaimed XY Torchic WCs I'd like to backup.

Do leave it that way. Useful for WC research (for the correct people who can decrypt the save)

I always backup -- or at least I did in Gens IV and V -- just so I can generate events beyond the final distribution date if necessary. I'm hoping we'll have a surefire way to backup Gen VI soon, though, as I've got two carts with unclaimed XY Torchic WCs, but I'd like to be able to restart one of them before the Celebi event ends, so as to farm Celebi on my tertiary 3DS, and neither cart currently has the OT name I'd like to use for Celebi (the same OT name I used in Gens IV and V). But I'm not going to give up my Torchic saves for it...

I can confirm Datel Powersaves 3DS definitely works for both X and Y. It can backup and restore the save file for both games and it has a few codes like Max Money and 999 Items for stuff like Rare Candys and PokeBalls.

An important question: are both the games and the 3DS in their latest firmware?

Fantastic. Thanks for the confirmation. I'll go ahead and order it now (unless any brick&mortar retailers carry it... do they?), despite the current lack of an OS X version. If such a version takes too long to be released (i.e., past the final distribution date for Bank Celebi), I can just take it to a friend or family member's house to backup XY Torchic before farming Bank Celebi.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

anyone who has a ds mode flash cart and if their 3ds is on version 4.1-4.5 can download the 2.1 gateway loader, you need the gateway card to go into 'gateway mode', but you are able to boot up the menu and dump your 3ds games without the gateway card. the save file is inside the dumped rom, and once you have extracted the save from it you can use it with things like keysav, etc etc :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I dumped my AS save, rename the rom to .3dz, but on SaveDataFilter, it says "CTR card broken." Starting up the rom showed the save being "corrupted." I read the rom can be booted if you start the game over, but then that means you can't load the previous save (I read the save's in the dumped rom). I'm just trying to stay away from it and remain calm, hoping a stable release comes soon for GW, since what came out yesterday was a beta one.

I dumped my AS save, rename the rom to .3dz, but on SaveDataFilter, it says "CTR card broken." Starting up the rom showed the save being "corrupted." I read the rom can be booted if you start the game over, but then that means you can't load the previous save (I read the save's in the dumped rom). I'm just trying to stay away from it and remain calm, hoping a stable release comes soon for GW, since what came out yesterday was a beta one.

With SDF, you have to make a backup of the game's save, then overwrite the main file in the backup's subfolder with your modified save to load it.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, i hope someone of you can help me. I want to upload a save file from an digital copy of a game(bought from e-shop) to the cartridge version of that game. I thought it might be possible with the R4i Save Dongle, since the software for those has an encrypt/decrypt function which adjusts the save you want to upload for the cartridge encryption. But I dont have a save dongle and if it won't work i don't even need to buy one.. So does anyone know if it is possible to upload the save file from an digital version to the cartridge version with the save dongle? Or if that won't work, is there any other way to do it?

Hey guys, i hope someone of you can help me. I want to upload a save file from an digital copy of a game(bought from e-shop) to the cartridge version of that game. I thought it might be possible with the R4i Save Dongle, since the software for those has an encrypt/decrypt function which adjusts the save you want to upload for the cartridge encryption. But I dont have a save dongle and if it won't work i don't even need to buy one.. So does anyone know if it is possible to upload the save file from an digital version to the cartridge version with the save dongle? Or if that won't work, is there any other way to do it?

If your trying to do it with a pokemon or animal crossing game this won't be possible, other then those games im not sure myself if it will definitely work but usually the save needs to match the same size thats on the retail cart so as long as thats correct it should be fine

Thanks for your help :) The game I want to transfer the save file for is Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. So its a pretty new game, do you think it works with that then?

Well i cant seem to find anything on google or anywhere else for that matter about whether anyone else has tried this, but i just happen to have a copy of Monster hunter 4 and a Save dongle so if you dont mind me asking for you to upload your save file here or pm me i can test it myself and see if it works for you, but im not 100% certain if a digital save will work on a retail game.