Sky Editor: The first save editor for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky

evandixon

so i tested today the sky editor for a german rom from pokemon mystery dungeon team blue

the editor will make the sav to a north american located game when you select auto detect (there will be seen the items from the storage and some pkm, but name from am rescue points etc is incorrect)

when you select select location and select european version there is no items or something else displayed.

tested with the beta version and the debug version.

the game says by testing the savegame is corrupted and must be deleted.

plase can you fix this issue

to locate the error i load the rom in a link and the sav up for you.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Team Blau.SAV

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Team Blau.SAV

Edited by evandixon
removed link to rom

so i tested today the sky editor for a german rom from pokemon mystery dungeon team blue

the editor will make the sav to a north american located game when you select auto detect (there will be seen the items from the storage and some pkm, but name from am rescue points etc is incorrect)

when you select select location and select european version there is no items or something else displayed.

tested with the beta version and the debug version.

the game says by testing the savegame is corrupted and must be deleted.

plase can you fix this issue

to locate the error i load the rom in a link and the sav up for you.

[ATTACH]11885[/ATTACH]

I think I've fixed the issue. Please try this experimental version of Sky Editor to see if everything works now.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2722532/Sky%20Editor%2012-21-14.zip

To use it, use File -> Open -> Open (Let me Choose Game), and select the European version of Red/Blue Rescue Team. For the time being, it only supports editing Pokémon, but I think I can support more things in the future.

All Mystery Dungeon games have a checksum to help determine data integrity. It's basically a sum of all of the byes. For some reason, in the European game, the checksum is 1 less than it would be in a North American game. That, and some offsets are slightly different.

• 1 month later...
did you try to make this tool for gates to infinity PMD?

I'd love to, but I currently have no way to decrypt the save file for Gates to Infinity. My best bet is to modify Ram2Sav for use, but I haven't had time to look into it. If SciresM released a version that dumped the entire ram, as opposed to looking past an offset, I could start. (But I'm actually afraid to ask, seeing how I haven't done enough research to fully understand the exploit yet.)

I'll work on it when I can, but I do have other projects going now, so if this happens, it won't be in the near future.

Hello,

I tried downloading this wonderful tool, and it allowed me to edit my "explorers of the sky" save all I wanted... but when I try to open the "red rescue team" .sav file, straight out of VBA (visual boy advance) it just shows all blanks and any edits I make have no effect. help? or maybe I'm doing something wrong. I play the intro, save, and then try to edit. (the edit I'm going for is making my player character charizard.)

is this a known issue, is this untested, or am I "doin' it wrong?"

thank you very much for any and all assistance

I think VBA uses a different save format, you'll need a raw save. Is there an option like "File -> Export Battery"?

yeah, I'll try that, if you think it will work. ok, just tried. I get the same thing on an "exported" save. is there any other emulator I could use that you know works? or maybe I'm using the wrong "export" button? maybe I need a fresh ROM? I don't know. I'll experiment in what time I have. (vba uses the .sav files, and .sgm for save states. can I modify a save state, then load it and make a legit save with the hack?)

I think VBA uses a different save format, you'll need a raw save. Is there an option like "File -> Export Battery"?

so, I tried using NoBGA, and I got "this save is too small for a pkm md sky save.

so, is it even compatible with red rescue team anymore?

thanks!

No$GBA uses compressed saves. Look up how to have it save as raw saves. Should be a setting somewhere.

so, I set it in the config to "Uncompressed" and I could edit the save, but...

instead of my starter, Machop, I got a pokemon named '@110'

a "valid" female gliscor, with one move, ice ball.

and some WEIRD stats. 295 special defense? 0 defense? what?

I edited it to the way I wanted... when I saved the file and opened up NO$GBA, it simply didn't open the save file. it prompted me to make a new game, as if I hadn't made that file. luckily, I made a backup. so, what else could work?

apparently this program still thinks that my save is from explorers of the sky, and it gives me errors about the checksum, and then I try to edit the roster, and on the english version I have a level 45 rapidash, and on the european version I have a level 110 gliscor. their stats are bizarre, and they both always have ice ball in slot 2. so, I try to edit them, and what I get is the No$GBA refuses to load the save, and simply acts as if it doesn't exist! help? anyone?

I have now also tried this same thing with blue rescue team for the DS, and instead of those bizarre pokemon, I got a total blank. this was attempted with both DesMume and No$GBA. well, lovely

Edited by morsmores

I tried using both european and american roms. wait, should I be opening the roms, or the saves?

??? I'll try opening the roms, then the saves, and just the roms?

I dunno.

wait one moment. does the file need a specific name? because if so, should I rename it to the rom name "pokemon mystery dungeon red rescue team europe"?

is that right?

Small update. I've been working on making an installer to make future releases easier to use, so now I'm using .Net ClickOnce.

It hasn't been tested enough for an official release, but I'll keep posting betas using the link below.

http://dl.uniquegeeks.net/SkyEditorBeta/setup.exe

The only notable update is that when editing starter Pokémon using the ROM editor, the dropdown boxes are now updatable. Instead of finding your desired item in the list, you can type it in. If you type something invalid, the text will become italic, and when saving, the value used will be the last valid value selected.

• 4 weeks later...

Your Sky Editor crashes as soon as I try to open it, even after I unblocked it. And, it STILL crashes immediately if I try to open it as Administrator. What am I doing wrong? I have the proper .NET frameworks in place, so this program should work.

UPDATE: why can't I get this blasted thing to work?! It seems hell-bent on REFUSING to work. I keep getting an "APPCRASH" event tag every time I read the crash report, but all I get in regards to why it crashed is a bunch of seemingly random numbers that mean absolutely SQUAT to me. I wish these crash reports were more user-friendly, so you can report exactly what caused the crash, so it won't happen again.

Then again, maybe Microsoft deliberately designed the crash reports this way, so we're left in the dark as to what causes the crashes, so Microsoft can continue to let (or MAKE) them happen...all the while pocketing billions of our hard-earned dollars.

Your Sky Editor crashes as soon as I try to open it, even after I unblocked it. And, it STILL crashes immediately if I try to open it as Administrator. What am I doing wrong? I have the proper .NET frameworks in place, so this program should work.

UPDATE: why can't I get this blasted thing to work?! It seems hell-bent on REFUSING to work. I keep getting an "APPCRASH" event tag every time I read the crash report, but all I get in regards to why it crashed is a bunch of seemingly random numbers that mean absolutely SQUAT to me. I wish these crash reports were more user-friendly, so you can report exactly what caused the crash, so it won't happen again.

Then again, maybe Microsoft deliberately designed the crash reports this way, so we're left in the dark as to what causes the crashes, so Microsoft can continue to let (or MAKE) them happen...all the while pocketing billions of our hard-earned dollars.

Please paste the details of the crash or post a screenshot so I can see what's wrong.

I found out what was wrong--you STILL need .NET framework 4.5, despite the fact that you advertised that you only need .NET 4.0. Not sure what happened, but I downloaded and installed .NET 4.5.2 (the latest version), and your program now works.

However, I would suggest using a drawing program such as Paint.NET or IrfanView (both of which are available for free) when editing sprites. I even whipped together a few extra portraits for Mewtwo, using a simpler color scheme, and giving him a younger, more friendly appearance (your character IS a kid, after all, before becoming a Pokemon).