Would it be possible to obtain pkms from generation 1,2,3,4 on Platinum genuine cartridge using ROMs?

Hi all

I've been playing on Pokémon Platinum version for a while (genuine cartridge).

And i just came to wonder... would it be possible to collect more pkms just by playing on older generation ROMs and by transfering them to the actual game?

This wouldn't be legal thought (who cares?) but it would be an easier way to complete the Dex by yourself, getting as many starters and legendaries, without having to use any hardcore cheats, etc.

I'm kind of a newbie as a pkm ROM user, so did a lot of research, googl'd, read and learned a lot. Then thinked out a strategy to make the wonder come true... but haven't tried it yet. For now i'm just trying to anticipate any problems that could happen and how to solve/fix it or use another path around.

So i currently have

- 1 NDSi

- 1 Pokémon Platine cartridge

- VBA 1.7.2

- VBAlink 1.7.3

- DeSmuME-0.9.8-win32

- Some pkm ROMs (GBAs and NDSs with their respective SAV files)

The first thing i learned is that you can't transfer/trade any pokemon beetween GB/GBC and GBA (yes told ya i'm a newbie) right?

No prob, i guess that's why we still got the golden oldie remakes Pkm RedFire and LeafGreen.

Using VBAlink, great tool, won't make trading beetween GBA games too much of a problem (already tried it beetween R/S/E and works great). But that's not the subject.

Second thing is, you can't trade beetween GBA and NDS, you have to use this thing called Pal Park.

Great, so we could still get pkms from gen 3 (even gen 1 counting RF & LG) reunited with gen 4 pkms in NDS games like Platinum, Diamond and Pearl.

But would it work using ROMs? and, above all, would it work using a slot-2less DSi?

Apparently it would be feasible by using an emulator, such as DeSmuME, and not the DSi... shame that's too bad, i still want to play pkm on my actual Platinum cartridge.

Then i figured, there's this wonderful device called "NDS backup tool" that could possibly resolve it all. But it's somewhat said not to work with DSi saves.

So there's this other tool, even greater, named "NDS Adaptator Plus" which would do the same thing correctly, just faster (but not cheaper lol).

And here's my problem: could i just backup the Platinum .SAV file from the cartridge, transfer the GBA ROM pkms via Pal Park on DeSmuME, save in the game and once done download it back from the PC to the DS cartridge? Could it actually work?

I suppose (i may be wrong) there would have to be some sort of file convertion at some point, like to get the backup files to run on DeSmuME (or does the "File -> Import Backup file" would work just as fine?). Or even converting the DeSmuME .SAV files before putting them back in the cartridge. Is there any specific .SAV file format used by DeSmuME or the NDS games that wouldn't allow recognition beetween these two?

Let's suppose we get this to work, i almost forgot we would still be missing some pkms from gen 2 games!!

GBC ROMs would be useless, so i guess we'll have to use the ROMs from oldie remakes SoulSilver & HeartGold made for NDS. But even then, could we trade them from one of these to Platinum version cartridge?

I guess it could be possible, everything is, but i still didn't find any clues on how to get it done.

The "trade to yourself" thing on DeSmuME seems to be messed up by the Wi-Fi nintendo's Global Trading System.

One way around would be using flashcards... and buying another NDS. Sounds like a defeat, and surrendering now is not an option.

Could any of you guys (and gals) give me any clues on how to solve this issue?

Best regards

PS.1: sry, i must apologize if my spelling appears weird, actually i'm french and this is not my native language, but this forum is so great and such a source of information... i would even learn swedish just to post a new thread

PS.2: i've absolutely nothing against swedish people, please don't take it personally

Edited by Dekster

there's no way to go gen1/2 to gen 3+

gen3 ROM (with the save file named exactly the same but with the .sav extension) can be loaded by desmume as a GBA pak. You can use the pal park feature of a Platinum ROM.

To deliver it to your cartridge, you can use DeSmuME wifi, Fake GTS, or save editing (adding the PKM with a save editor).

==

alternatively, you can use IR-GTS to transfer 3GPKM files directly to a retail gen4 game if you use the fake gts method.

Thanks for the reply Kaphotics!

Just downloaded IR-GTS, works fine, got one first .pkm file with the statelog feature... seems like an awesome tool!

I think i'll prefer that to the other methods.

Could it work with a ROM loaded on a DSTWO cartridge? like, could it receive a .pkm file from a ROM (let's say Diamond/Pearl on DSTWO) and then send the file into the Platinum cartridge?

Asking that because i've ordered one of these DSTWO supercards, so would be really useful if it could work

Btw, i knew pkm migration would be impossible beetween games prior to the GBA and the newer ones due to the different data structures and stuff. I just thought FireRed & LeafGreen would be considered has gen1 games (lol just because of the fact there's charizard as a starter). Same with SoulSilver & HeartGold, i thought it would be considered gen2 games... sry for the noob mistake

Edit

When i get done with Platinum, i might try the Poké Transfer v1.0b program to go from gen4 to gen5 (i just saw you did the research for this)

Edited by Dekster