Ziz

Best laptop for me?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Best laptop for me?

• Sony VAIO CS Series
    • HP Pavillion
    • Dell
    • Other (Please Explain)

Hello everyone! I'm looking into getting a new laptop but I have no idea what to get. As most of you know, I'm really obsessed with web graphics. So I'm basing my choice on that. Something that would support my use of Photoshop CS4 and with good speed. I have a budget of about $750. I'm choosing between Sony Vaio, HP Pavillion, or a Dell. If you recommend something else, vote other and please explain.

Oh, and I don't want to hear about whether you want me to choose Vista or XP, I don't care one little bit.

Vaio's are nice. I was looking at my hopefully soon-to-be laptop at Best Buy yesterday and it was next to a couple of Sony's laptops so I took a look at them, too. So expensive, though. And I didn't like that they keyboard keys weren't flush, but rather seperated one-by-one. I tried typing on it and it felt weird.

HP's aren't bad, either. My first, slightly ancient laptop was an HP and it was great for graphic art. Photoshop ran with ease, however slightly slow.

The computer I'm looking at right now is an Asus. I like it simply because it's different, a not-so-known brand, and she carries a nice price tag, which helps. Plus they're kind of known for being good gaming computers; I've liked that because it gives me an optimistic look at it being good for graphic arts, too.

Another thing I've been looking at is USB drives, for me, I've always needed at least 3. Because I have a lot of external stuff, like my tablet, my printer, my flashdrive...a lava lamp.

Vaio's are nice. I was looking at my hopefully soon-to-be laptop at Best Buy yesterday and it was next to a couple of Sony's laptops so I took a look at them, too. So expensive, though. And I didn't like that they keyboard keys weren't flush, but rather seperated one-by-one. I tried typing on it and it felt weird.

HP's aren't bad, either. My first, slightly ancient laptop was an HP and it was great for graphic art. Photoshop ran with ease, however slightly slow.

The computer I'm looking at right now is an Asus. I like it simply because it's different, a not-so-known brand, and she carries a nice price tag, which helps. Plus they're kind of known for being good gaming computers; I've liked that because it gives me an optimistic look at it being good for graphic arts, too.

Another thing I've been looking at is USB drives, for me, I've always needed at least 3. Because I have a lot of external stuff, like my tablet, my printer, my flashdrive...a lava lamp.

I was at Best Buy looking for a soon-to-be laptop yesterday as well! xD

I actually like the separated Vaio keys, as it makes it so that you never press two keys at the same time.

HP is definitely a strong choice, seeing as my cousin has one and it runs exceptionally well.

Yeah, I saw the Asus laptops...maybe I should look into those.

I got the MacBook Pro 15.4" with no extra upgrades and it's great! GIMP, similar to PS, runs quickly, doesn't glitch, doesn't slow down and is just amazing. :D I just love how smooth everything is, but you can also try getting the $999 MacBook.

I got the MacBook Pro 15.4" with no extra upgrades and it's great! GIMP, similar to PS, runs quickly, doesn't glitch, doesn't slow down and is just amazing. :D I just love how smooth everything is, but you can also try getting the $999 MacBook.

Yeah, Macs were my first choice, but my Dad wants me to tell him the difference between a Macbook and a laptop. If I customized a laptop to have the same features as a Macbook I could probably spend a lot less. 13.3" Macbook was of course my first choice, but sadly I'm probably not gonna get one.

Also, people, if you're going to view/post at least vote on the poll!

Hey everyone! Well I finally decided on a new laptop...*drum roll*13.3" Macbook Pro!

You're probably surprised, well, my Dad said if I think I'll be able to utilize it better then I can get the Mac. Only problem is that it has 2 GB of memory at $1199...

Is there any way to expand the memory, Naru? I don't know much about macs, have only played with them a little bit at the Apple store and once in my Journalism class. I don't much like the interface, as compared to Microsoft (Not blaming you for choosing otherwise :)) But that's due to the fact that I grew up with my dad working with Microsoft computers. Plus, he said that HE would be the first one to own an Apple computer in our household. *rolls eyes* Men.

Congrats on coming to a quick conclusion!!

Is there any way to expand the memory, Naru? I don't know much about macs, have only played with them a little bit at the Apple store and once in my Journalism class. I don't much like the interface, as compared to Microsoft (Not blaming you for choosing otherwise :)) But that's due to the fact that I grew up with my dad working with Microsoft computers. Plus, he said that HE would be the first one to own an Apple computer in our household. *rolls eyes* Men.

Congrats on coming to a quick conclusion!!

Its like $300 extra for a better version with a 4GB RAM. And really? I love the UI, especially the dock and the bar at the top. :)

Anyway thanks everyone for your votes, I'm requesting an Admin/Moderator to lock/delete this thread.

Its like $300 extra for a better version with a 4GB RAM. And really? I love the UI, especially the dock and the bar at the top. :)

Anyway thanks everyone for your votes, I'm requesting an Admin/Moderator to lock/delete this thread.

You can get the dock and bar etc on Windows XP/Vista if you just replaced your Uxtheme.dll with a patched one.

I'd say Apple's Mac is the best for graphical design, but i guess it's a bit off in the budget part :)...
Macbooks are made out of the same components as PC laptops: seagate HDDs, intel CPUs, nvidia integrated graphics. Adobe's suite of utilities is written in C++ which can run nativley on Windows and Mac OSX. So what makes you think that a macbook would do the job better?

Naru-Chu: I have personally been impressed with HP's product quality and customer service. I own an HP Pavilion myself, and it runs anything not named Crysis. I bought it two years ago for about $800, so anything you buy now-a-days within your price range should be at least as powerful.

The important thing to remember when getting a laptop for graphical editing is graphics and processor power. Whatever you decide to buy for that price should do the job alright, though from my experiences in the past, Dell's build quality is going to be shoddier than the competition and in the end any dollars you save won't be worth it.

Macbooks are made out of the same components as PC laptops: seagate HDDs, intel CPUs, nvidia integrated graphics. Adobe's suite of utilities is written in C++ which can run nativley on Windows and Mac OSX. So what makes you think that a macbook would do the job better?

Naru-Chu: I have personally been impressed with HP's product quality and customer service. I own an HP Pavilion myself, and it runs anything not named Crysis. I bought it two years ago for about $800, so anything you buy now-a-days within your price range should be at least as powerful.

The important thing to remember when getting a laptop for graphical editing is graphics and processor power. Whatever you decide to buy for that price should do the job alright, though from my experiences in the past, Dell's build quality is going to be shoddier than the competition and in the end any dollars you save won't be worth it.

Eh, I really don't want to be steered into buying a different computer. I just want to try a Macbook, something different than the Dell's, and HP's of the family. Yea, I know you have something against Apple -

Apple? Screwing people over? I'm shocked! *end sarcasm*

But right now, a Macbook Pro is on my mind and nothings going to change that.

Alright, Naru. I truly hope I don't ever get the chance to say "I told you so." <3

You're killin' me! xD

Anyway, if the Mac isn't as good as its hyped up to be, then you can spam me with "I told you so." :biggrin:

Well, I am anti-Mac so I'd say a Vaio. HOWEVER, if you save some moe cash I'd go for an Alienware. That's what I'm getting.
Alienwares have been losing credibility since Dell bought the company. Vaois are decent but they're going to be at a slightly worse price point than the competition and the extra money is mostly just going into the brand name instead of more quality parts.

Alienwares have been losing credibility since Dell bought the company.

Exactly what I was going to say...

I used to own an alienware laptop up untill Dell bought it, I then smashed the laptop up and sent it them back.

Exactly what I was going to say...

I used to own an alienware laptop up untill Dell bought it, I then smashed the laptop up and sent it them back.

If you had actually done that, that would have been stupid. It's not as if alienware computers all suddenly became bad when Dell bought them: the new ones made under Dell aren't made with as quality parts, but the old ones are obviously going to stay just as good as when Alienware made them independently of Dell.