Platinum Double Battles?

I have tried both PPRE and PPTE while trying to make single battles in Pokemon Platinum into double battles. PPRE causes the game to crash when a battle is initiated, and PPTE refuses to save the change to a double battle (but everything else works). I figured I could attempt to change it in hex, but I can't figure out what needs to be changed for this to happen. Does anyone have any suggestions?

When editing a plain trainer (one that shows an "!" and walks up to you) make sure the trainer class you've set is double battle material (i.e. twins, bro and sis, young couple, etc.) don't use the "double battle" command in PPRE. It's broken.

When editing a scripted trainer, don't use the TrainerBattle command. Instead, use DoubleBattle.

I tried looking into it more, I found something...

Instead of editing the trainers, go to maps. There, select the map where the trainer is you want to change.

Go to events > overworlds. There's a script attached to the trainer you want to edit.

Example: Go to map route 204. It has trainer 13, 14 and 15. Their overwolds have script 3012, 3013 and 3014.

Route 204 also has twins. They are trainer 15. Their overwolds are 2 and 3. (Same sprite, standing next to each other, etc.)

They have two scripts attached to them: 1 has 3014 and one has 5014

3 and 5. That's the difference, I think. That's what makes them check for double battles.

So if you want a double battle, you should add two NPC's, one with 3XXX and one with 5XXX (Where XXX is the trainer number.)

But this is a lot of work, so you might want to go with scripting.