Vista - Is it really buggy?

Greencat

LOL, I'm still using XP too, it's been so reliable all these years.

From what I've experience and heard, it's sorta of a yes or no answer, because the Desktop Vista my Mum purchased 2 years after my XP, it soon became slow, very very slow, it's a way better computer then my XP laptop, but mine runs so much faster.

But with my friends upgraded computer, which is more cheaper then buying a whole new one apparently, and from what he keeps on bragging, it seems that it's not going to be buggy anytime soon.

Although i wouldn't risk it, if monies isn't an obstacl,e i would suggest buying an Asus brand computer, well if your into gaming. :biggrin:

I used Vista, the initial release was quite buggy yeah. Once SP1 came out for vista all the bugs that I had went away and just ran smoothly. That's basically why MS is bringing out Windows 7 because people still avoid Vista because of its first release. But if you do get it you'll be fine as long as you actually keep your computer up to date.

vista some how got this rep that it fails every second and explored every minute, if people install the right drivers for they hardware and then just download the latest patch's and apply them, vista becomes very very stable. this vista hate was just a bandwagon, now we got the i love windows 7 bandwagon. any way if you want to spend money on vista just wait bit more for windows 7.

Edited by Inferno™

I have Vista and risked my computer to downgrade it to XP. What does that tell you? Unfortunately my computer does not have the correct drivers to do so. I have an XP theme, but I still don't have the icon feel. If anyone can help me with that, that would be great. Bottomline, vista sucks, and isn't any good at all. Trust me.

I love the "I hate vista" bandwagon. It makes it really easy to tell who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't.

I'm currently running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, and have had very little trouble with it over the year and a half I've had it. Once you turn off User Account Control, everything is fine. As far as compatibility issues go, I've only ever had problems with very old software (think Diablo 2, Starcraft, etc) and even that can be overcome by simply updating. =| The one complaint I do have about this OS is that it constantly eats 2gb of my RAM, though I think that is a property of x64 based systems and not just Vista.

Anyway, if you're happy with XP and you aren't running into any issues, why bother changing?

Although i wouldn't risk it, if monies isn't an obstacl,e i would suggest buying an Asus brand computer, well if your into gaming. :biggrin:

Funny that you mention Asus, because that's the brand I'm going with for my college computer. She's a beautiful BEAST. My dad gave me one specific rule, no more than $500. I'd dare say for this little baby, I've got a steal. Plus it's got a free upgrade to Windows 7 (Not that it matters, my dad would upgrade me anyways)

I've played with Vista some, my dad uses it as an alternate and one of my best friend's has it...I never got used to the interface. XP was always nicer.

I agree completely with Kaarosu,

I used Vista, the initial release was quite buggy yeah. Once SP1 came out for vista all the bugs that I had went away and just ran smoothly. That's basically why MS is bringing out Windows 7 because people still avoid Vista because of its first release. But if you do get it you'll be fine as long as you actually keep your computer up to date.

And I'll be honest in saying because I saw the first releases of Vista...and it definately was NOT pretty. And I am still biased over Vista, that's why I'm happy to eat up the free upgrade to Seven.

Also as Varna said,

The one complaint I do have about this OS is that it constantly eats 2gb of my RAM
that'd be the reason why I want the upgrade, because this laptop (see above) only has 3-4gb of RAM, I don't want it gobbled all up ;__;

I used XP on my Desktop, and Vista on my laptop, it's true that vista is a little buggy at first, but it's better on SP1 and getting better on SP2, but.. if I can give you suggestion, just wait until W7 is released.. it's much better than Vista, faster and more reliable

the worst problem on Vista is UAC, that sucks.. that's why I tell you, W7 is better than Vista..

I used XP on my Desktop, and Vista on my laptop, it's true that vista is a little buggy at first, but it's better on SP1 and getting better on SP2, but.. if I can give you suggestion, just wait until W7 is released.. it's much better than Vista, faster and more reliable

the worst problem on Vista is UAC, that sucks.. that's why I tell you, W7 is better than Vista..

UAC can be turned off on the Control Panel, even though it's much less secure.

Senerio 1: You are browsing the web casually and suddenly a program you have never heard of is requesting admin rights.

Senerio 2: A calculator you downloaded from the internet requests admin rights to function.

Etc.

I've been using Vista since it came out. All I can say is that, like any windows release, you'll need to configure/optimize a few things to get the most out of it but that it's a definite improvement on XP. I really love how fast search is (from the start menu or from any explorer window), compatibility mode has been noticeably improved, and sharing across a network is easier than ever.

In all the time I've used Vista, it's NEVER crashed.

I love the "I hate vista" bandwagon. It makes it really easy to tell who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't.
No kidding.

• 2 weeks later...

Vista is a little buggy and a bit of a memory hog and has some compatability issues with some programs, but I found A BUNCH of freeware (from http://www.techsupportalert.com/pc-tools.html) to tune it up and make it work better than originally intended. I suggest Cleanmem, to spot the RAM binging, and a-squared Free, as a supplemental on-demand security suite so you are not as screwed when you take UAC off...

Vista is a little buggy and a bit of a memory hog and has some compatability issues with some programs, but I found A BUNCH of freeware (from http://www.techsupportalert.com/pc-tools.html) to tune it up and make it work better than originally intended. I suggest Cleanmem, to spot the RAM binging, and a-squared Free, as a supplemental on-demand security suite so you are not as screwed when you take UAC off...

Uh, why bog your computer down even more with pointless software?

Honestly, Vista runs perfectly granted you are running it on a well endowed system. For example, I can do almost anything I could imagine (except for gaming, I'm not wasting my money on a graphics card), and still have memory to spare. I can convert an HD movie to a format playable on my 360, and have several instances of Firefox open all at the same time, with no problem. Here are my specs:

• 2.4Ghz Q6600 Core2Quad Processor
  • 6GB of RAM
  • XFX Nvidia GeForce 8600GT

With those three things I am able to do what I described above. It really isn't hard.

Uh, why bog your computer down even more with pointless software? (1)

Here are my specs:

• 2.4Ghz Q6600 Core2Quad Processor
  • 6GB of RAM (2)
  • XFX Nvidia GeForce 8600GT

1. Because they maintain it...

2. That might be why you can do that, on more humble systems (2GB RAM), Vista becomes slow and unmanageable, hence my installing of Cleanmem.