Serebii.Net

evandixon

Because there was a debate going on here, I have made this thread so that SerebiiNet and others can debate whether Serebii.Net uses reliable resources and stuff like that (pointless, in my opinion).

I honestly, in the comparison between this site, and Serebii.net, think that Serebii.Net has the upper hand due to more infromation (of corse, this site just started...)

Ok, have fun arguing.

Because there was a debate going on here, I have made this thread so that SerebiiNet and others can debate whether Serebii.Net uses reliable resources and stuff like that (pointless, in my opinion).

Yes, pretty useless, Joe has already stated his stance and demonstrated that its not open to debate. Trying to debate with him is just wasting our time. Time that we can use to build the site further.

There are two point I do want to make, but one will have to wait for later.

The first is that it wasn't really complaining. The things about serebii using some (un)reliable came up naturally in the discussion about what sources to use in the wiki. Its not like it was unwarranted bashing (there has been some of that before and that gets removed). It was part of a serious discussion about what information is acceptable.

I've never used it for game mechanic related stuff. I've always come here, SPPF (Serebii forums), or Bulbapedia for it.

I've picked out a handful of wrong event info. But that information is pretty easily accessible elsewhere, so I don't really care if it's wrong on Serebii.

He's had some allegations of theft in the past, but the evidence I've seen is just some random discussion thread on Bulbagarden's forums and an un-sourced paragraph on Bulbapedia.

As I said in the Franchise forum, I use Serebii for pre-release stuff, and my experiences with that have always been a-okay.

In regards to the theft stuff, that was true...however that was over 8 years ago when my site was a cacky new site. You know how sites made by young teenagers are. I cannot change that but I have not stolen since

The event list is an area of concern, however I am thinking of many ways to completely improve it. Most errors on that list however are errors of ommission and not factual errors.

I don't get why everyone is fighting over which site is better =/ Can't everyone just use the site they like the most, and keep quiet about the other?

To me, I think Serebii is quite reliable for quick updates, while Project Pokémon has accurate updates. I just use both of 'em =|

And wow, didn't know so much people complained about this kinda stuff... Talk about die-hard-fans...

It isn't about which site is better, it is about why his site is trustworthy. Thank you for admitting you at least stole information in the past, honesty is what people want for you. You see, you never update about things you have corrected. For example, the honey tree. You fixed that, but never updated about it. Now people don't even know it has been changed. And even though people have constantly told you a better translation for Pichu would be jagged, you don't change it. When proof is given to you, you should use it. And in the old thread, you seemed to have brought up that things slip under you and you don't notice you have the wrong info. How is it that this site always thoroughly checks their information and then uploads the right information, and you usually have wrong information and never seem to update on corrections? Doesn't it seem bad to you that a lot of people don't find your site responsible? If you can't be dedicated to your site and the info it gives thousands of people, then don't run a site. Now if you want your site to be reliable, check everything thoroughly and make sure you you don't believe what everyone tells you without supplying proof.

It isn't about which site is better, it is about why his site is trustworthy. Thank you for admitting you at least stole information in the past, honesty is what people want for you. You see, you never update about things you have corrected. For example, the honey tree. You fixed that, but never updated about it. Now people don't even know it has been changed. And even though people have constantly told you a better translation for Pichu would be jagged, you don't change it. When proof is given to you, you should use it. And in the old thread, you seemed to have brought up that things slip under you and you don't notice you have the wrong info. How is it that this site always thoroughly checks their information and then uploads the right information, and you usually have wrong information and never seem to update on corrections? Doesn't it seem bad to you that a lot of people don't find your site responsible? If you can't be dedicated to your site and the info it gives thousands of people, then don't run a site. Now if you want your site to be reliable, check everything thoroughly and make sure you you don't believe what everyone tells you without supplying proof.

Again, the Notched Ear Pichu is a viable translation and I am not changing it. Even if I were to change it, which I will not since it's viable, the name has become commonplace in the community and me changing it will do nothing.

I do not USUALLY have wrong information and never correct it. Very rarely do errors come up on the site. It is a rarity, not a common occurance which you are making it out to be

I am dedicated to my site, hence how I spend many hours of my increasingly rare spare time to work on it.

As for a lot of people not finding my site responsible, that is not true. You my friend are part of a very vocal minority

I also don't believe anything people tell me. I always check news before I post it. I never post unconfirmed details whereas other sites do (even this one posted the holding date for Explorers of Sky as the official date). I don't just believe what people tell me so kindly stop spreading that bull. My site is reliable. That is why almost 300,000 unique visitors come to it every day.

You have a bias against me so your arguments are completely flawed and filled with lies and half truths so I would like to request that you stop

By any chance was it this?

It was long before then

I dont know why you people are having an argument over this.....its almost like picking a fight.

Honestly ive been using Serebii for 3 years, since the time i started playing Emerald and its been extremely helpful to me. I learned about EVs, IVs and many abilities from there and ive always trusted it. The information is quite straight forward and many people new to this game can get loads of help there.

PP is a fairly new site and though we are very accurate in our Info it doesnt mean we flip off other sites. Serebii has extremely detailed stuff about pokemon and item locations.

Though on a lighter note id like to say Serebii that in Platinum the Iron ball item is found in Stark Mountain and not on Iron Island or Iron Mountain as you have put it. I searched for it in the Island for 15 minutes, lol, just cause i liked collecting all these one time Items. I later went through a random guide and found out that the Ball was in Stark Mountain. I play on the No$gba so the Underground doesnt work as you know and we cant get the Ball or any other extra goodies.

And cause i dont use the DS im not much concerned about dates of Events, but you admit that you will fix it which doesnt make room for any dispute.

Im not taking any sides, im just saying theres no reason to debate. I mean theres Psypokes as well you know and though its not as popular ive been using that and Serebii for my info. It is good as well.

Unfortunately i just became more of a Forum person recently so excuse me for being so blunt or straight. I just got tired of battling. Dont think that if i like your site so much, why havent i registered on the forums Serebii lol. I'll do that as well, in time.

PP i believe overall is THE best forum, and site even, cause theres not only info about competitive battling but also about ingame help which makes it very unique, that on top of having its own server and ladder!

So Serebii.Net still rocks but its GO GO PP as this site keeps gettin better and better.:biggrin:

You are forgetting that the site has even Wiki section, where members can make the site even better not only the administrator(s). For people who do not know what a wiki is - this is a miniature Wikipedia with all sorts of information regarding everything associated with Pokemon.

I still like Serebii.net, but Project Pokemon is starting to seriously grow on me.

Considering that this is a newly started site, it is doing great on my opinion.

You are forgetting that the site has even Wiki section, where members can make the site even better not only the administrator(s). For people who do not know what a wiki is - this is a miniature Wikipedia with all sorts of information regarding everything associated with Pokemon.

I still like Serebii.net, but Project Pokemon is starting to seriously grow on me.

The PP Wiki has some horrible articles. Far too many contributors are putting personal opinion into them, the "Credits" section makes no sense, and more than a few are writing as if they're in 5th grade.

Wikis also have the inherant flaw of people posting false information and it staying there and people taking information from other sites without sourcing. This is my main criticism against Wikis

Notched is a fine translation.

It's just not an accurate English representation of what is happening there.

"gizagiza" can be translated in more than one way.

Look up "notch" in a dictionary.

Ah yes, but the while the ear is jagged, its not jagged as its not closely repeated. The ear essentially has two notches on it so I call it Notched Ear

Again, the Notched Ear Pichu is a viable translation and I am not changing it. Even if I were to change it, which I will not since it's viable, the name has become commonplace in the community and me changing it will do nothing.

I do not USUALLY have wrong information and never correct it. Very rarely do errors come up on the site. It is a rarity, not a common occurance which you are making it out to be

I am dedicated to my site, hence how I spend many hours of my increasingly rare spare time to work on it.

As for a lot of people not finding my site responsible, that is not true. You my friend are part of a very vocal minority

I also don't believe anything people tell me. I always check news before I post it. I never post unconfirmed details whereas other sites do (even this one posted the holding date for Explorers of Sky as the official date). I don't just believe what people tell me so kindly stop spreading that bull. My site is reliable. That is why almost 300,000 unique visitors come to it every day.

You have a bias against me so your arguments are completely flawed and filled with lies and half truths so I would like to request that you stop

You don't have the authority to suggest I stop. And you don't believe what people tell you, eh? How about in the chatroom, a while before the remakes were announced? A person told you that the gold and silver balls were used in other episodes before in Pokemon Sunday. Did he supply any proof? Even if it were true, you just believed him. Immediately. And like I finished saying, you corrected the Honey Tree page, yet I see no update in sight for how you corrected one of the pages. Some people don't even know it changed. And your event list is terrible. Still missing a few events, and 3 aren't even real. That is vital information to event collectors, so do you think that list would be reliable to them? Of course not, they come here for true information about events. Some programmers here know the mechanics of the game, they study it internally and externally. You just leave it to your members to get you information. Your site isn't reliable, and anyone who asks me if your site is good, I will always say the same thing, unless you take action and rid your site of bad information. Then I will have a change of heart.