Why do so many people consider Gen 3 the best gen?

Alakablam

I don't know if its just me, but it seems that whenever there's a conversation on pokemon generations (IRL and online communities), there's always a general consensus that gen 3 is people's favorite/ best generation of pokemon ever.

I liked gen 3, but there were other generations that were definitely better in my opinion.

So why is gen 3 so popular, is my question.

I liked the new pokemon and the game story. the rival was difficult if you chose torchic and the music was epic. idk I thought yellow was the best because it was the first pokemon game I played back when I was 5 . Guess I enjoy the classics more then now

I personally had a lot of fun and playtime on Diamond version. That was truly an awesome game.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Personally I think GEN 3 was a bit of a letdown, mainly because it was impossible to trade Pokemon over from GEN 1 and GEN 2 games.

For me GEN 2 was my favorite generation, I liked how you could finish playing the main game in the Johto, then go back to Kanto and get another 8 gym badges. The younger me was like "wow thats amazing" as I had no idea that would happen until I actually got to that part of the game. So suddenly I have another half of the game to finish! I remember thinking it was interesting seeing how areas in Kanto had changes from the first generation of games.

• 5 months later...
Personally I think GEN 3 was a bit of a letdown, mainly because it was impossible to trade Pokemon over from GEN 1 and GEN 2 games.

For me GEN 2 was my favorite generation, I liked how you could finish playing the main game in the Johto, then go back to Kanto and get another 8 gym badges. The younger me was like "wow thats amazing" as I had no idea that would happen until I actually got to that part of the game. So suddenly I have another half of the game to finish! I remember thinking it was interesting seeing how areas in Kanto had changes from the first generation of games.

I had the exact same feeling.

However, my favorite gen is the first. Probably just because it's the first I played (blue cartridge).

After 2nd Gen, I stopped playing Pokémon.

And restarted few weeks ago with some friends on Heartgold / Soulsilver.

I had the exact same feeling.

However, my favorite gen is the first. Probably just because it's the first I played (blue cartridge).

After 2nd Gen, I stopped playing Pokémon.

And restarted few weeks ago with some friends on Heartgold / Soulsilver.

Heart Gold is an amazing remake, I kinda wished I played that when all the WiFi functionality worked on it.

I played the first GEN through so many times, the second i need about 9 Pokemon to finish all 251 in the Pokedex, then i kinda lost interest in the 3rd gen.

I got back in to Pokemon at University as some course mates were playing Diamond and Pearl, we all got hooked on that. I then went back and finished Ruby and Leaf green. After that I pre-orderd HeartGold from the US and got it about a week before it came out here in the UK. However I was in my final year of University at the time and had so much work to do, i played it for a weekend and got 6x gym badges, that was it i never touched it again until 2016.

For some reason I got Pokemon White on release day, did one gym badge and never played anymore due to having just started a new job at the time.

What got me back in to Pokemon was getting a 3DS and Pokemon Y for Christmas in 2013, however it wasn't until getting Omega Ruby in 2014 i totally got hooked again like when I was a kid. I finished Omega Ruby, went back and finished Y, i then finished White earlier this year, I then finished Black 2 last week, catching all the legendary Pokemon. Now as of last night i'm currently at the Pokemon League on Heart Gold.

So basically in the last year or so I have gone through all the past Pokemon games i missed over the years, so I have near enough finished a game in every pair of games released.

My plan is to then import everything in to Pokebank and work on a living Pokedex using as many as my Pokemon from past games as possible, ready to be imported in to Pokemon Moon.

Playing Pokemon again with a couple of mates this last year has been the most gaming fun i've had in a long time. Needless to say i'm totally hooked on the Pokemon games again now!

I don't know if I'll invest myself in newer gen's. For now I'm playing Heartgold and I'm finishing to make my team level 50 to beat E4 and reach Kanto.

In the meantime I'm already preparing my team I'll use to battle my friends.

I'm relunctant to start Moon / Sun because it would mean invest on a 3DS.

I'll see by the time if 3DS prices are decreasing.

Also I'd go for a 2DS but the fact we can't close it stops me from buying it.

Q? : is the 3DS zone free ? If so, I might buy one when I go to Australia in few months.

I think I'll rather play Leafgreen.

• 1 year later...

I think gen 3 can be very nostalgic for people.

Maybe part of why is 2004 xD And seeing my adventures around pokemon forums it may of inspired some people...

I duno. Don't take my word for it, please. Just my aspie ponderings.

Also, I guess hoenn was pretty light hearted. The evil teams for that gen weren't so dark/scary as some other teams IMO.

Also, we gotta remember that mudip meme....

Ahhh, again, only this is how I view it.

Edited by CorniFan