New Pokémon X and Y announced by Nintendo Direct

Imari

According to Dutch website www.ngamer.nl Nintendo Direct announced the release of two new Pokemon games. Appearently worldwide in october 2013. See also:

or for the article http://www.ngamer.nl/nintendo-direct-pokemon-x-en-y.html (it's in Dutch).

Original website: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct

The starter names are: Chespin (grass), Froakie (water) and Fennekin (fire).

For starter names in other languages look here: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/01/08/meet-your-pok-233-mon-x-and-y-starters.aspx

If this is posted in wrong forum I'm sorry. In that case please move to correct forum.

Edited by Imari
Better title, more info

There is no dedicated forums for Pokemon X and Y yet, so this is fine to put in here for now.

Ugh, male protagonist has the same colour theme as BW/B2W2. Meh, that cannot be helped, though female looks pretty good so far (liking the red motif). I cannot help but wonder what X and Y is supposed to mean. The starters look pretty nice, though Harimaron looks like he may be the Oshawott of this generation from what others seem to say about it. I really do like Huotsuko and Keromatsu though, considering foxes and frogs are some of my favourite animals, particularly frogs. Harimaron resembles Dewott a bit, Huotsuko is just beautiful, and Keromatsu... looks like it is wearing specs of some sort.

*inb4anotherFireFighting*

The previews seem to indicate Huotsuko may be part Psychic, or at least learn some Psychic-type moves, much like Vulpix with Extrasensory and the likes. I swear if Keromatsu becomes a Water/Fighting... :/

The legendaries (are they legends?) don't strike to me as appealing unlike Reshiram or Zekrom and ones in the previous generations, but it is refreshing to see they're not dragons at least.

Though some people may be disappointed at the lack of RS remake, it seems possible with this whole naturalistic approach they are taking with these new games. After all, RSE did take place in an exotic naturalistic place.

I'm already liking the new starters, especially that frog Pokemon, I'm definitely choosing that one. But I wonder what other Gen VI Pokemon are there... is there a possibility that some of the new Gen VI Pokemon may be pre-evolved or evolved forms of Pokemon that already exist?

Edited by PKMNTrainerNick144
duplicate word in sentence... -__-

But then when I thought of X and Y with relation to the 3D graphics.... it's actually rather clever.

U and V would actually be genuinely clever (texture coordinates used in 3D graphics), but most people wouldn't get that. X and Y obviously don't even relate solely to 3D graphics, so it sort of sucks. I guess you can think of it as "this is a major change to full 3D, hence a coordinate system change, let's use coordinates!".

I have to admit that when I watched the video I didn't like the way the characters looked. It looked very much unfinished (I know it probably is) so I hope that they do some massive improvements on that. Now it's in the category "not quite, shouldn't have bothered" as far as I'm concerned.

I don't feel the environment either. The long views seem ok, but for example the grass looks, well, rough (but maybe that's the whole point).

I do however love the battle graphics. There's a lot more action on the screen and from what I can tell you can now actually see a huge difference beween different attacks, whereas most looked pretty much the same until now.

As far as the pokemon are concerned I think I'd start with Fennekin. I just love that little foxy thing and am curious as to how it's going to evolve. Froakie would be my second choice, cheecky fellow and Chespin....well I don't get it. What is it supposed to be? A grass pokemon I know but is it supposed to resemble anything, maybe it's just me but I don't see it.

Then the legendaries. I don't think Yveltal (the bird pokemon) is very original. It reminds me a bit too much of Ho-oh. And even though he reminds me of Arceus, I do like Xerneas (the stag pokemon).

questioner wrote:

But then when I thought of X and Y with relation to the 3D graphics.... it's actually rather clever.

What if the X and Y have something to with being X and Y chromosomes? Maybe they're implementing a whole new way of breeding pokemon.

@wraith89 Thnx for the confirmation, although as I write this Alpha created a 6th Gen section. Maybe it's an idea to move this thread there?

- Moved to Pokemon X and Y discussion -

Yvetal looks like it is based off the Quetzalcoatl, judging by its appearance and its name, though I am not so sure. It looks like a Roc, a legendary bird, in some way. Otherwise it appears unimpressive to me so far. Xerneas, though, seems to be very familiar to me, but I am not exactly sure what this one is based off. Its motif is very similar to Dialga's. Seemingly, this region resembles metropolitan France, which is pretty nice. I like me some French style.

U and V would actually be genuinely clever (texture coordinates used in 3D graphics), but most people wouldn't get that. X and Y obviously don't even relate solely to 3D graphics, so it sort of sucks.

Maybe they'll release a Z version, and that'll bring the reference together. (But they kind of broke that mold in Gen V with B2/W2 so I dunno.)

Maybe they'll release a Z version, and that'll bring the reference together. (But they kind of broke that mold in Gen V with B2/W2 so I dunno.)

Personally I hope they don't release a Z (or other named) as a third version. I've always felt ripped off whenever they did. There's usually hardly anything new about them except for a different regional dex and maybe a couple of different pokemon forms.

I just hope that they make the titles so good that they can last a while (so I can't race through the story mode in 50 hours or so) instead of releasing a 7th gen within a year or two.

BTW forgot to thank wraith89 for moving the thread. THNX! :cool:

Edited by Imari
Forgot to say thank you

• 4 months later...