[deprecated] OU balanced competitive team; toxic spikes included

Note: I changed my team entirely around. This team is deprecated and is only there for nostalgic purposes in the rare case that I feel like looking at my previous failures again.

Hello.

After several really unsuccessful and some moderately successful attempts of creating a team, I'd like to get my current team rated. Illithian gave some advices earlier and they were really helpful. Currently, I'm either rampaging through a team or losing completely, it's rare to get a close situation.

This team abuses Toxic Spikes to cripple sweepers while keeping the pace of the battle. TS gives me the possibility to abuse sweepers even more and pressure the opponent or to use walls as effective sweeping Pokemon.

--

Lineup:

[sprite]407[/sprite] [sprite]373[/sprite] [sprite]245[/sprite] [sprite]466[/sprite] [sprite]479-1[/sprite] [sprite]242[/sprite]

--

[sprite]407[/sprite]

Roserade @ Focus Sash

Ability: Natural Cure

EVs: 4 Def/252 Spe/252 SpA

Timid natured (+Spe, -Atk)

- Sleep Powder

- Leaf Storm

- Hidden Power Fire

- Toxic Spikes

Roserade is the supporting lead and sometimes early game sweeper/anti-lead.

The first turn is always Sleep Powder, to ensure that the opposite lead doesn't gimp me. If the other lead outspeeds Roserade and Sleep Powder misses, I'm usually doomed.

After Sleep Powder, I set up Toxic Spikes twice. If necessary, I'll sacrifice Roserade to cripple the opposite team. HP Fire gets rid of steel type leads and other stuff that happens to be weak to fire. Leaf Storm is my main STAB and will get rid of Swampert and other frail leads.

Setting up Toxic Spikes usually allows me to gain control over the battle, since sweepers can't stay out very long and bad poisoning + Life Orb damage will soon KO the foe.

[sprite]373[/sprite]

Salamence @ Life-Orb

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 232 Atk/252 Spe/24 SpA

Naive natured (+Spe, -SpD)

- Dragon Dance

- Earthquake

- Fire Blast

- Outrage

My main sweeper. Not much to say here, Sala just takes out stuff fast. Outrage is somewhat risky after its end, but it can take down stuff after a single DD in one hit.

I don't really like him to be killed and thus he often gets to be a late game sweeper.

[sprite]245[/sprite]

Suicune @ Leftovers

Ability: Pressure

EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/76 Spe/176 SpA

Bold natured (+Def, -Atk)

- Calm Mind

- Surf

- Ice Beam

- Roar

Suicune serves as mid to late early game sweeper and does this job well after some Calm Minds. I often switch it in to take out some Pokemon and if something looks like it's going to Thunderbolt, I switch to Electivire.

Suicune also takes the role of a tank and stalls stuff a little while, TS will usually do the rest. If they don't I'll roar the (often boosting) enemy away.

It's one of my most versatile Pokemon and usually does everything well, unless something explodes at its face.

This Suicune, while using a defensive move set, is built to be a hybrid and it does that job quite well.

[sprite]466[/sprite]

Electivire @ Expert Belt

Ability: Motor Drive

EVs: 4 HP/176 Atk/76 Def/252 Spe

Adamant natured (+Atk, -SpA)

- Earthquake

- ThunderPunch

- FirePunch

- IcePunch

Electivire is another late-game sweeper/revenge killer and, if Motor Drive boosted (Yeah, thank you Rotom!), it can rip through entire teams by its awesome type coverage. Almost nothing that isn't levitating can safely switch in.

It plays an important role in guarding Suicune from electric attacks and revenge kills lots of stuff anyway. Its versatility and movepool make it a pain to predict. Especially if someone predicts EQ (what most Evires run) and I'll Ice Punch their Salamence.

If I can't gather a Motor Drive boost, I'll just get it out at a moderately safe moment and kill as much as I can without any regrets.

Expert Belt is to give additional power to all of its super effective attack potential while not losing any HP to Life-Orb.

[sprite]479-1[/sprite]

Rotom-h @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP/176 Def/80 SpA

Bold natured (+Def, -Atk)

- Thunderbolt

- Overheat

- Shadow Ball

- Toxic

Rotom-h is my early game sweeper and does two things: Sweep stuff and last as long as possible. Many things are scared of it and there's no real safe switch in.

It also stops suiciding Pokemon and rapidspinners in their tracks. Especially Starmie seems to be scared.

TB is just a bread and butter STAB and rips some flying/water types apart, Shadow Ball is another STAB and usually checks other Ghost and Psychic types.

I rarely use Overheat due to its SpA drop, but it'll get rid of some steel types really fast.

Toxic poisons everything levitating that didn't get the free portion of poison already.

[sprite]242[/sprite]

Blissey "Da Wall" @ Leftovers

Ability: Natural Cure

EVs: 120 HP/252 Def/16 SpA/120 SpD

Sassy natured (+SpD, -Spe)

- Ice Beam

- Aromatherapy

- Softboiled

- Toxic

Da Wall walls stuff, obviously. I send Blissey in to wall some scary things like Alakazam, Porygon-Z or Gengar.

Blissey has two major functions: It walls and it's a cleric.

Ice Beam gets rid of any Dragon, or even worse, Dragon/Flying types instantly. Aromatherapy helps my own team while keeping Blissey free from possible poisoning of other Blisseys.

Toxic just again poisons opponents that didn't get affected by the spikes already.

---

That's about my team. Please rate and give some suggestions. I'm particulary worried about stat-uppers like Porygon-Z and Infernape that can sweep my entire team after Blissey's death, while Suicune probably won't roar them away in time.

I'm also in trouble if Rotom gets killed and a rapidspinner messes up my setup, Roserade is usually dead after five turns in early game.

Anything that levitates can ruin me completely. Gengar is a very good example, especially if Rotom has fallen.

My team fails completely if I fail to land any toxic spikes at all.

Edited by xorhash

I don't know where to start...

If your Rotom dies..your team might have some trouble with it's main strategy. A spinner might throw away all you efforts to induce indirect damage with Spikes and all. And once again if your Rotom dies your team will have an extremely hard time with Heracross and the rest of the fighting pokes. I also find your team rather slow.

You've mentionned that you were worried about pokes that can set up..my worry for this team is pokes that are fast and are powerfull enough to KO your pokes...Scarf Hera is a HUGE danger..Gengar as well specially if he packs Explosion. Speed is what you lack a lot IMO.

Anyways I've got to go..I'll be back at you later and try to fill the gaps.

HEY HEY HEY its Goldy here! I see most of the other teams have been rated already and saw that this one wasnt, so i'll do this one b4 anyone else jumps on to it hehe. :biggrin:

huuhhhhhhh.........

You rely too much on toxic stalling whereas none of your pokes but Blissey can heal!!

First of all, what i see here is a nasty Infernape weakness you have.......MixApe just adores this team and would love to have some target practice. Lemme show you how he would go through this team with LO equiped

Roserade-Big LOL, Fire Blast, no contest other than lead ape.

Salamence-HP Ice

Suicune-Grass Knot

Electivire-Fire Blast

Rotom-Fire Blast

Blissey-Huge LOL again. Close Combat

Ape can be slowed down a tiny bit by suicune as many know Ape cant OHKO it without a nasty plot boost so it survives....but they dont know your Cune has no HP or Spe def EVs and will soften suicune up b4 they sweep.

You do have checks against Luke and Scizor. Sally is countered as well but i think the MixMence will give you problems, again your Suicune is designed to take physical hits, so a draco meteor will mostly ohko with SR damage.

Once your lead faints, which it WILL early on, you have nothing to beat Swampert. Swampy also completely walls your Evire and so does Hippo. Forry can actually take a Fire Punch and maybe ohko back with Earthquake. But yes forry can just stop your Evire and not much else. Swampy then moves on to beat Sally and rotom and then even blissey. Suicune can just roar it out but not without taking hefty damage with EQ first.

And you say Gengar is "A" weakness, you should correct that to a HUGE weakness. It goes through this team quite unhindered. Suicune goes down to Tbolt, blissey cant do anything to it beside Ice beam which wont matter too much while Gengar 2hkos you with Focus Blasts, you rely on your rotom to beat Gar? thats insane :eek: Gar is much much faster than rotom even if its Modest! it can still OHKO rotom with a LO shadow ball. Gar will also 2hko Evire with Shadow ball and ohko Sally with HP Ice.

You also say that Evire likes to come in on Electric attacks fired by rotom..... but what can it do back to rotom? Fire punch and ice would hit the same and do measly damage without stab while Rotom itself will 2hko you with shadow ball if you switched into SR.

Another thing is Gyarados, who has nothing to fear rather than suicune...who cant do much back to it other than roar. That and with no healing move means it WILL faint after a few hits leaving a huge hole in your team which nothing else can fill. The rest of your team gets mangled by Gyara as rotom is not scarfed by which it can revevnge kill gyara. If your opponent finds out its not scarfed....he needs just a little more damage on it so that Gyara can later Dragon dance and sweep finishing off rotom with Waterfall. Rest go down quite easily to the Waterfall, ice fang/SE, EQ combination Gyara runs.

And how could i ever forget this beast of a pokemon............Dragon Dance Tyranitar will annihilate you.

After a single DD it gets when switching on rotom or blissey (it may get 2 or 3 if your foolish enough and decide to stay in) it can run through this team like a Bulldozer. AGAIN your suicune is the only thing that "SLOWS" it down....but only phazes it...not even 2hko with Surf i think if Tar has Lefties. Then with Cune gone Tar plays with this team like the adorably cute pokemon it is:smile:....i mean thats how i feel about him :redface:.....so sue me! i have many favourites!

BOTOM LINE IS........i dont even know where to start and what to change in this team.....:frown:

1) The top Pokemon of the game have no checks at all.

2) You rely too heavily on Suicune as your physical wall. If its down your teams almost finished.

3) As mentioned firstly none of your pokemon can actually stall as nothing but blissey has Healing moves.

I recommend that you go back to the drawing board and rethink this, then post again. I will rate that team for you as well if im free.

Sorry but unlike ~GC~s team which was shoved away and I made it work.....i cant make this one work without changing many of the pokes.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

Sorry Cule buddy but this team isnt balanced in the least.:(

• 2 weeks later...

You need Stealth Rock, as it is a very useful move in any tier and almost all types of team.

Suicune packs Roar, but does not get enough uses for the move, as it works best with the addition of Stealth Rock/Spikes.

I've noticed that you have Toxic Spikes support, with two Toxic users. You shouldn't keep those in the same team.

You also need to find a better way to use Toxic Spikes, as your team is neither built to stall or has stat-up pokes to abuse it.

Your team could also use wall breakers, you lack that, and somewhat bad type-coverage.

Also you have somewhat of a difficult time switching into Rotoms, as Blissey may be tricked, Suicune has Electric weakness, Salamence and Electivire hate being burned, and Rotom can't switch Wisp or Shadow Ball.

Your team is somewhat weak to status moves, and Blissey can't always be there.

Some direct threats are Salamence (mixed or Dragon Dance) Latias (with Calm Mind and Substitute/Refresh) Lucario (with Sword Dance, um....95%) and Infernape (commonly mixed)

I suggest that you add a Substitute+Calm Mind user such as Latias in place of Suicune. Toxic Spikes allow it to wear down Blissey. Also Latias checks Infernape and non scarfed or previously Dragon Danced Salamence.

I also suggest you to replace Electvire with a Stealth Rock user. Heatran can do a good job with Shuca Berry. With a lot of health it can survive and Earthquake from Life Orb Salamence and KO with Explosion. Heatran naturally counters most Rotoms.

And for Rotom I recommend you to use a Timid nature with 280 speed, which allows you to out speed neutral Lucario and KO with Overheat.

Anyways good luck CuleX.

I hope this can help you.

i used to have a porygonz and frankly it woulda raped this team like russians in '45 berlin

Roserade.... Roflcopter .... crobat has spikes that are toxic coupled with haze and confuse ray you have a spikes setting up-phaze speed master sludge bomb or air slash for stab black sludge or lo for it maybe even c-scarf

im sorry i cant provide additional help but you cant add to great help above me so .... hope it helps

(if you wanna kill a gengar....)

Porygonz W/ c- scarf

nasty plot

tri attack

dark pulse <------------

any special attack move of your choice here

• 1 year later...
i used to have a porygonz and frankly it woulda raped this team like russians in '45 berlin

Roserade.... Roflcopter .... crobat has spikes that are toxic coupled with haze and confuse ray you have a spikes setting up-phaze speed master sludge bomb or air slash for stab black sludge or lo for it maybe even c-scarf

im sorry i cant provide additional help but you cant add to great help above me so .... hope it helps

(if you wanna kill a gengar....)

Porygonz W/ c- scarf

nasty plot

tri attack

dark pulse <------------

any special attack move of your choice here

Yeah right, Choice Scarf and nasty plot ...and no trick ;D