Project Pokemon ROM Editor 2 (PPRE)

Lame solution to the white 2 bug: change your game id to black 2.

Open your header.bin in a hex editor, and change the game id from IRD to IRE.

it will better add function compatibility mode so ROM if is not listed, if is need to force that to read as on the list :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Can someone help? I can't get this to work...im trying to edit black 2 but whenever i click create patch it says there is no base rom? And when i try to export rom as, i type something click ok but a file isnt make? Then when i close program a error comes up saying check log but i dont understand the errors, just lots of this:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "ppre.py", line 241, in exportRomAs

NameError: global name 'exportRomTo' is not defined

File "ppre.py", line 235, in exportRom

File "ppre.py", line 247, in exportRomTo

File "ndstool.pyc", line 18, in build

File "subprocess.pyc", line 493, in call

File "subprocess.pyc", line 679, in __init__

File "subprocess.pyc", line 855, in _execute_child

File "subprocess.pyc", line 615, in list2cmdline

TypeError: sequence item 20: expected string, QString found

File "ppre.py", line 278, in quit

NameError: global name 'exit' is not defined

File "ppre.py", line 278, in quit

NameError: global name 'exit' is not defined

Whats happening?

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone help? I can't get this to work...im trying to edit black 2 but whenever i click create patch it says there is no base rom? And when i try to export rom as, i type something click ok but a file isnt make? Then when i close program a error comes up saying check log but i dont understand the errors, just lots of this:

Whats happening?

It's a bug in the program. From the looks of the errors, it should be a trivial, "DOH!" fix.

• 1 month later...

Hey i need some help!!!!

Im not sure what ive done wrong but when it comes to editing nothing happens when i click on anything :/ ive installed GIT and python and pygt, if u could help that would be awesome cheers :D

:bidoof:

Hey i need some help!!!!

Im not sure what ive done wrong but when it comes to editing nothing happens when i click on anything :/ ive installed GIT and python and pygt, if u could help that would be awesome cheers :D

:bidoof:

You have to go file> new project, and then choose a rom to edit.

Could anyone direct me to somewhere which would explain how the move editor works, specifically where I can find out what each of the effect numbers do, and what flag1 and flag2 do? This is for HGSS.

Also I get this error in the log file when I try to export roms:

somebody said it would be a "doh" fix, but they didn't say what the fix was.

Then I get a get syntax error when I run ppre.py if i try to do it that way. Probably done something wrong as I have no idea how to use this.

Is there any other stats editor for HGSS?

Edited by Shosjos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PPRE 2.2.0 has some problems with Pokemon editing... I'm editing the ROM for Black 2 and here's the problems I have with this

Pokemon editing bugs so far:

1. Doesn't save edited data for the following:

-Staryu

-Electabuzz

-Elekid

-Magby

-Torterra

-Chimchar

-Roserade

-Magmortar

-Togekiss

-Pansear

-Excadrill

-Sawk

-Lilligant

-Garbodor

-Zorua

-Vanilluxe

-Amoonguss

-Klinklang

-Golett line

-Heatmor

-Meloetta

Forget it... this program DOES NOT export to a new rom

Edited by PKMNTrainerNick144

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello, I'd like to confirm if these are bugs. The Pokemon Editor doesn't appear when you try to edit Pokemon Platinum. The Text and Move Editor work fine though.

Another thing I'd like to point out is for my clean ROMs of Pokemon B/W and B/W2, all the physical attacks are categorized as special, the special attacks are categorized as others and the status moves are considered physical. Should I be worrying about this?

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to figure out how to run the source code version of the program (and by "figure out" I mean "fixed a lot of compiler errors and other stuff"), but it's not necessary; the end result is exactly the same as using the stable binary. There's no way to successfully export the ROM, as far as I can tell.

Anyone trying to get the source code version working:

- The file "nds" has to be renamed "nds.py".

- Python 2.x is necessary, do *not* use 3.x, or you'll have to spend a significant amount of time updating the code on multiple pages to be 3.x compliant.

- You'll also need to download Python PIL (google for it), as Alpha references code from its libraries.

- Don't bother with downloading SIP, SIP is unnecessary for the binary executable version of PyQT.

- Git seems to be useless if on Windows - you'll need to copy the files from rawdb (it's called "snapshot" on that site) and paste them under the nds folder and under the main folder.

I'm trying to puzzle out the "exporting doesn't save" thing, but I haven't looked at a proper programming language in about ten years, so it's slow going.

If you're having trouble getting pokemon you've edited to save, alter the pokemon's color; in my experience, there appears to be some sort of error going on there, where the pokemon's color is not being read properly and trying to save anything you've done to them until they DO have a color just does not work.

Have been testing with Pokemon White 2.

Fixed it. Unfortunately, it's a very "dirty" fix as I have little idea what I'm doing in python (WHO MAKES A LANGUAGE WHERE YOU CAN'T DECLARE VARIABLES AHMG) and I pretty much had to run roughshod over subprocess.py, so if you use python for *anything else*, my fix probably won't work out for you right.

So, for Windows, to install the source version of the code:

1) Download and install Python 2.7. Download the x86 version even if you have dual processors unless you are comfortable editing your registry.

1a) If you went with the x64 version, google for Python Registry Fix and look around, it's a simple process of copying one key (the install path) from the registry's location for the x64 version to the x86 version.

2) Download Python Image Library (PIL)

3) Download and install PyQT4.

4) Download PPRE. Drop it in the directory C:/Python27 (or wherever you installed Python)

5) Obtain the rawdb stuff. (Click snapshot on the page on the line where it says Master.

6) Copy all of that to the RawDB folder in PPRE.

7) Copy everything from RawDB/NDS up to Python27

8) Download DirtyFix.rar

9) Drop the contents of DirtyFix.rar into Python27. Overwrite existing files.

Is this a perfect fix? Hellno Kitty. But it's a fix that works for me, on Win8.

One thing that worries me is that the output ROM is considerably (slightly more than half) smaller than the source ROM, but so far so good.

DirtyFix..rar

DirtyFix..rar

Okay, if there already is, can someone link me.

But can someone please make a video tutorial on how to use this program, from the downloads to starting it all up.

Because when i finish and export it, it is not a .nds file, it is some other file.

And I did not do these steps because I did not know where to find these files.

How to setup and use:

1. Run setup.sh/setup.bat

Or

1a. Use git to fetch the rawdb dependency (`git submodule update`)

1b. Link rawdb/nds to nds (or copy it if your OS does not have link support)

Fixed it. Unfortunately, it's a very "dirty" fix as I have little idea what I'm doing in python (WHO MAKES A LANGUAGE WHERE YOU CAN'T DECLARE VARIABLES AHMG) and I pretty much had to run roughshod over subprocess.py, so if you use python for *anything else*, my fix probably won't work out for you right.

So, for Windows, to install the source version of the code:

1) Download and install Python 2.7. Download the x86 version even if you have dual processors unless you are comfortable editing your registry.

1a) If you went with the x64 version, google for Python Registry Fix and look around, it's a simple process of copying one key (the install path) from the registry's location for the x64 version to the x86 version.

2) Download Python Image Library (PIL)

3) Download and install PyQT4.

4) Download PPRE. Drop it in the directory C:/Python27 (or wherever you installed Python)

5) Obtain the rawdb stuff. (Click snapshot on the page on the line where it says Master.

6) Copy all of that to the RawDB folder in PPRE.

7) Copy everything from RawDB/NDS up to Python27

8) Download DirtyFix.rar

9) Drop the contents of DirtyFix.rar into Python27. Overwrite existing files.

Is this a perfect fix? Hellno Kitty. But it's a fix that works for me, on Win8.

One thing that worries me is that the output ROM is considerably (slightly more than half) smaller than the source ROM, but so far so good.

I'm not very into the editing/hacking thing and I tried following these instructions but I'm really confused. I used PPRE 2 just to edit around some base stats/abilities/types of some pokemon. I got everything to save (that saving a color thing mentioned above did the trick) but now that I'm happy and finished with my edits, I can't get it to save/write the ROM file... which if I understand correctly is what the passage I quoted is supposed to solve. Is there an easier to way get the program to save the edited, finished project (.pprj) file to save as a playable ROM? Or would anyone be able to explain the above to someone without as much experience with these programs?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some suggestions for your next Windows release:

1. Include an optional setting to alphabetize item, move, and species names. Finding them by code number is very hard for new users; I often lost my place scrolling through the menus.
  2. Allow users to type in the full name of existing menu items; this would cut searching time.
  3. Include the TM/HM numbers on the relevant checklist: counting unmarked groups of boxes confused and frustrated me.
  4. Make it easier to add new moves to a species' learnset without overwriting old moves. I wanted Lunatone to learn Mirror Shot at level 23 and Moonlight at level 45; but I had to erase and re-enter several existing moves to do that.

I'm currently using the 0.14 beta download on a PC with Windows XP Home Edition; the executable in version 2.0 crashed whenver I tried to start a project.

UPDATE: Still struggling with that beta; I can't save any changes to an existing move's type. I put my starting ROM in the right folder, selected/set the ROM, and wrote to the new ROM afterwards...but my edits don't appear when I check the next time. Am I overlooking an obvious mistake of my own, or is a bug keeping me from saving moves?

Edited by isnorden

• 2 weeks later...

Although I have upgraded to the latest version, I am still running into serious errors which keep me from finishing a project:

1. I am able to work normally n the move and text editors, but cannot even open the Pokémon species editor.
  2. I am unable to create patches or export ROMs from an existing project, no matter which name or path I choose.
  3. I am unable to quit PPRE from the File pulldown menu; although clicking the close box does close the program, it also generates an error message.

See the log transcript below for technical details of these errors.