1st OU Team

Hello all. This is my first foray into competitive battling, and after a few battles on Smogon, this is my team:

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Sand Stream

EVs: 252 HP/168 Def/88 SDef

Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Earthquake

- Slack Off

- Stealth Rock

- Toxic

---

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band

Ability: Sand Stream

EVs: 176 HP/252 Atk/80 Spd

Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Stone Edge

- Crunch

- Pursuit

- Aqua Tail

---

Porygonz @ Choice Specs

Ability: Adaptability

EVs: 2 HP/4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk

Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Tri Attack

- Hidden Power [Fighting]

- Dark Pulse

- Hyper Beam

---

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Flash Fire

EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk

Rash nature (+SAtk, -SDef)

- Earth Power

- Flamethrower

- Explosion

- Hidden Power [Electric]

---

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Natural Cure

EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/2 Spd/4 SDef

Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Seismic Toss

- Wish

- Protect

- Thunder Wave

---

Rotom-c @ Choice Specs

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk

Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Leaf Storm

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [ice]

- Will-o-wisp

---

Rotom seems to die really quickly, I am thinking of replacing him with a Gengar. I need Ice moves, and Brelooms have come close to destroying my team late game. I know it is not so good, and some tips would be advisable. Thank you!

You didn't give us any roles for your pokemon and just copy-pasted Smogon sets right out of shoddy battle.

Now don't get me wrong, unlike a lot of this forum I do like and use Smogon sets; when they have a specific purpose but to me it just seems you have taken 6 pokemon you like and put 6 "competitive" sets on them. This means your entire team lacks 3 important things for any Serious team.

1: A central strategy

2: The ability to play around and take out/cripple common threats in the metagame. ( IE: synergy )

3: The ability to get past Simple weak strategies like Skarmbliss or Celetran and the like.

You have a gaping weakness to Infernape, Lucario, Salamence, Gyarados, Starmie ( once blissey is gone ), Tyranitar, scizor et cetera.

Anyway onto the pseudo rate.

Hippowdon is a solid lead, for stall teams, but on a balanced team like this isn't exactly the best choice as it lets your opponent set up whatever it wants or start laying down hazards or throwing powerful attacks at your team right off the bat which can lead to a dis advantage.

so Switch your lead to either Metagross/Swampert/Azelf. Since you've been using the standard sets just use one of them and find out which one fits into your play style the best as they all virtually have a similar goal.

CB Tyranitar is meant to A: trap and kill specific threats ans B: Meant to switch into anything that cannot KO and hit Hard whatever is switched in. With that in mind you then would need something on your team to be able to take advantage of this hole and either sweep or begin a stalling process, whatever. You lack any such strategy so Tyranitar is really not doing too much for your team.

2 choice specs users, neither with trick. No strong Stat uppers. No Mixed sweepers. This means that the old SkarmBliss combo walls the majority of your team ( that is an A-B rotation between skarmory and blissey )

Its good to have a strong stat upper or mixed sweeper that can take them out as it also helps prevent weaker A-B rotation strategy's from walling your team.

These can range from CM jirachi, CM suicune, SD Scizor, SD lucario, Mix Ape, NP azelf, to things like SD tentacruel, NP Toxicroak et cetera you just need to find out which one fits your play style and strategy. So please go rework your team a little bit and I'll help you more.

Thank you for your feedback

You are right, my team has no central strategy. I wanted to get a poke of each description and hope that that would kill everything

Lead/Phys. Wall

Phys. Sweeper

Special Sweeper

Revenge Killer/Type coverage

Special Wall

Explosion blocking/Fighting wall/coverage

As 4 of 6 of my team are weak to fighting, wraith suggested I replace Porygon-Z with a Gengar. And after being sweeped by Earthquake, I think it would be a good idea.

How bout

Gengar@Focus Sash

EV: 252 Spd/104 Atk/144 Def

Substitute

Focus Punch

Shadow Ball

Destiny Bond

Lead/Phys. Wall

Phys. Sweeper

Special Sweeper

Special Wall

I really dislike these pre-assigned roles. Mainly because not many can fulfill them. For example, no one can wall like Blissey can with special attacks. There is no physical wall Blissey.

Gengar@Focus Sash

Substitute

Focus Punch

Shadow Ball

Destiny Bond

• You're missing a nature
  • There's no point in investing in defense/HP EVs if you're going to Sash something.
  • Gengar's sub sets should be based around HP, so you can get a maximum amount of subs up.

Anyway, as the other d00d pointed out, your team is just 6 Pokemon thrown together, with a bunch of shared weaknesses. Two sand stream users and more than a few Pokemon taking damage from it is not good.

You need to think of an overlying strategy, then make a team, then...welll, basically, I'm saying you need to start again.

Thank you for your feedback

You are right, my team has no central strategy. I wanted to get a poke of each description and hope that that would kill everything

Lead/Phys. Wall

Phys. Sweeper

Special Sweeper

Special Wall

As 4 of 6 of my team are weak to fighting, wraith suggested I replace Porygon-Z with a Gengar. And after being sweeped by Earthquake, I think it would be a good idea.

How bout

Gengar@Focus Sash

Substitute

Focus Punch

Shadow Ball

Destiny Bond

Hold on. I don't see why you have Focus Sash and Substitute...

I never suggested Focus Sash. You're best off with Salac Berry or Petaya Berry with that kind of set up.

What are 144 Defense for again?

Anyways, I'd agree with Enkidu and randomspot here... you're missing a whole goal. People just throw in 6 random OUs and call it a team... when there is no central strategy involved :(

To be honest, I dislike your team. I do like the Smogon sets except for the "Choice" combos they make. I don't like the use of Choice items as they only allow the use of one move. Btw, in most competitive battling, they don't allow the use of duplicate hold items. You're Porygon-Z and Rotom-C both have Choice Specs.

Also, 4 Choice users = Doom. Most people limit their use of Choice pokemon up to 2 because of the great disadvantage of being only able to use one move.

To be honest, I dislike your team. I do like the Smogon sets except for the "Choice" combos they make. I don't like the use of Choice items as they only allow the use of one move. Btw, in most competitive battling, they don't allow the use of duplicate hold items. You're Porygon-Z and Rotom-C both have Choice Specs.

No they don't. Not many people care about that.

There's a reason why they hold choice items. You may not like the fact it locks you into one move, but choice items can prove dangerous and effective provided they're used correctly. I've seen teams with 6 choice users that was able to defeat the other person. There are quite effective ways to utilize Choice items, and Porygon-Z with Specs is VERY dangerous. A Rotom can use Trick to trickspecs a unsuspecting physical sweeper anyways. I'm not a big fan of choice users, but still, my Specsmence has proven quite dangerous in many times and has hit really hard.

I know about the Trick Specs part about Rotom. But the moveset he put up for his Rotom didn't have Trick. That will just lock yourself in a corner.

Not if you're good with switching... of course, Rotom hates Pursuit, but still, Specs set can hurt. However I don't see the general strategy in his team though.

To be honest, I dislike your team. I do like the Smogon sets except for the "Choice" combos they make. I don't like the use of Choice items as they only allow the use of one move.

Try rating instead of just criticizing :\

Btw, in most competitive battling, they don't allow the use of duplicate hold items.

False. Please know what you're talking about before you rate. Item Clause is a RARELY used clause and is in no way standard.

Also, 4 Choice users = Doom.

Trick.