How do you edit TM moves?

• 1 month later...
find the lookup array of tm moves (in order by tm number then hm number) at the end of the arm9 and make some adjustments.

That's true but after editing i have no way to put it back with crystaltile2. Using compress option will not compress back to its original compressed size afaik or is just me?

I have tried others compress/decompress programs like DSdecmp, Codec LZSS DS, BLZ(i hope they are not the wrong programs) and others, and still no luck.

For those people which decompressed, edited and compressed back the arm9.bin into the rom sucessfully with either crystaltile or other program, WE ask your help.

Thanks in advance!

TM 01 - 92 , HM 1-6, TM 93-95 (0008CC84 - start offset TM/HM for uncompress ARM9.bin) :

-TM-----1----2----3----4----5----6----7----8----9----10--

1 - 	D401 5101 D901 5B01 2E00 5C00 0201 5301 DA01 ED00 
2 - 	F100 0D01 3A00 3B00 3F00 7100 B600 F000 DD01 DB00 
3 - 	DA00 4C00 DF01 5500 5700 5900 D800 5B00 5E00 F700
4 - 	1801 6800 7300 E201 3500 BC00 C900 7E00 3D01 4C01 
5 - 	0301 0701 E801 9C00 D500 A800 EA01 F001 F101 3B01
6 - 	F601 9B01 9C01 CE00 F701 7601 C301 FB01 FE01 FF01 
7 - 	0501 0002 7501 9900 A501 7301 0202 A001 8D01 9400 
8 - 	BC01 0902 5600 6801 0E00 0A02 F400 0B02 0C02 9D00 
9 - 	9401 0D02 0E02 8E01 8A00 BF01 CF00 6D01 7101 A400
10 -	AE01 B101 

HM 1 - 6
0F00 1300 3900 4600 7F00 2301 

TM 93 - 95
1002 F900 2B02

using BLz from CUE for compress / encoding arm9.bin or overllay, after that using dsbuff or ndstool to re-pack.

example for you, change TM 05 : 2E00 - Roar (46) into aura sphere (396 - 8C01) :

before :

a201301310822000.jpg

after :

a201301310823001.jpg

after that save (make a backup for if you current edit is crashed the game).

i using dsbuff for repacking that , actually you can insert that using crystaltile2, tinke, ndstool (since dsbuff using ndftool for repack/unpack), ...

de/compressing recommend using blz from CUE.

a201301310825003.jpg

before edit :

P_black2_U_17_31111.png

after edit :

P_black2_U_58_4159.pngP_black2_U_27_6605.png

*since virizion accept TM 05 roar, go to personal narc file for edit them.

ps : http://gbatemp.net/threads/recompressing-an-overlay-file.329576/ , btw i need more testing more in here xD sorry if is not work for you since i new in this part too, but is seems is working for me.

Hello Andibad, thanks for the answer. Your method looks perfectly fine but when i compress the arm9.bin with BLZ from CUE using either -en or -eo the file gets compressed but not to the original compressed file, e.g: original arm9.bin in the rom 462 kb, Decompressed arm9.bin with crystaltile2 to 619 kb, i edited the TMs i wanted then when i compress with BLZ file arm9.bin changes to 459kb! Is this the problem? The arm9.bin not matching the size? I also tried to Decompress with BLZ but doesn't work and the compress option in the Crystaltile2 is messed up.

I'm missing some commands on BLZ? -d / -en / -on There is more?

Are you using a clean rom? I am using Drayano's Blaze Black rom, is this the problem?

I think i already tested on a clean rom.. hacking with no success makes me dizzy..

About re-packing i was using Crystaltile2 to re-INSERT 459 kb arm9.bin but doesn't start the game at all. I also tried DZ Lazy with no success.. the same problem.

Also Andibad what programs you use to Decompress the arm9.bin? Because, as i said, BLZ fails to decompress the arm9.bin, only compress works.. but 459 kb >.>

Thanks again, cya. I will try harder..

EDIT: I'm suspecting what i am doing wrong, what is the exact command in BLZ to decompress the arm9.bin? I using "blz -d arm9.bin" what i am missing? i will keep looking..

Hello Andibad, thanks for the answer. Your method looks perfectly fine but when i compress the arm9.bin with BLZ from CUE using either -en or -eo the file gets compressed but not to the original compressed file, e.g: original arm9.bin in the rom 462 kb, Decompressed arm9.bin with crystaltile2 to 619 kb, i edited the TMs i wanted then when i compress with BLZ file arm9.bin changes to 459kb! Is this the problem? The arm9.bin not matching the size? I also tried to Decompress with BLZ but doesn't work and the compress option in the Crystaltile2 is messed up.

I'm missing some commands on BLZ? -d / -en / -on There is more?

Are you using a clean rom? I am using Drayano's Blaze Black rom, is this the problem?

I think i already tested on a clean rom.. hacking with no success makes me dizzy..

About re-packing i was using Crystaltile2 to re-INSERT 459 kb arm9.bin but doesn't start the game at all. I also tried DZ Lazy with no success.. the same problem.

Also Andibad what programs you use to Decompress the arm9.bin? Because, as i said, BLZ fails to decompress the arm9.bin, only compress works.. but 459 kb >.>

Thanks again, cya. I will try harder..

EDIT: I'm suspecting what i am doing wrong, what is the exact command in BLZ to decompress the arm9.bin? I using "blz -d arm9.bin" what i am missing? i will keep looking..

You can decompress overllay or arm9 with crystaltile2 only, for re-compress / encode using blz from CUE, since is best tools and suitable with BW /BW2 / pokemon games. if you want batch mode, just simple create tool using c# or any language. blz CUE is accept full path of file

decompress : (process is more quickly than encoding), it will around 617 KB

"blz.exe -d arm9.bin"

encoding : it will around 457 KB / 461 KB

"blz.exe -en arm9.bin"

"blz.exe -eo arm9.bin" more smaller ~5 KB

but is weird on win8, i was try use -en or -eo (compress arm9.bin), desmume didn't accept some arm9 instruction, so solution is not compress arm9.bin and is seems working. that problem is like drayano mod for bw2 too, well is not come from desmume build, hm maybe i used old version of blz CUE xD.

if with crystaltile2 is didn't work, you can try dsbuff , tinke, ndstool, lazyds , or other tools. i was try it with crystaltile2, is working too....

ops i forgot , drayano mod is was already trimmed, so is need repack using dsbuff/ndstool so don't used crystalltile2. in test i always used clean B , B2, SS, Platinum US/JP ROM with patched anti-ap.

IS WORKING! Just re-packed using dsbuff without compressing the arm9.bin! YAYYYY!!

If you can tell me, using a decompressed arm9.bin is 100% safe i am good to go!

Anyway Thank you so much Andibad!

Btw A-MoveSet Editor 1.2 EXCELLENT TOOL though i have try the others too. Thanks again, see u around.

you can use this to decompress all the overlays at once. just change the paths to the ones on your machine.

http://pastebin.com/K5zUYt3M

Honestly i have no idea to what to do with that, though will be useful if i have to resort to something like that. Bookmarked. Thank you, see you around too.

their reverse decompressor will just do nothing with an already-decompressed arm9.

DAMN! I am too slow. Good to know i appreciate!

their reverse decompressor will just do nothing with an already-decompressed arm9.

ow that reason xD ow thank again :D

Btw A-MoveSet Editor 1.2 EXCELLENT TOOL though i have try the others too. Thanks again, see u around.

i will update again my standalone tools, is different with first release since is now part of LPE , and is can be going standalone too or is running from LPE. with some improve feature and new feature i hope is make easy to used, also i will fixed some thing wrong on first release too. and another tools gets update too. well i was made a tools for edit arm9, OVA table, now i just try implemented a reporting function so can export binary data into readable text file, is make easy to documented anything changes made by you, is like log's or write binary into readable text. but thank you for using my tools ^^

you can use this to decompress all the overlays at once. just change the paths to the ones on your machine.

http://pastebin.com/K5zUYt3M

thank you , i will try this too.

Edited by Andibad

ps : http://gbatemp.net/threads/recompressing-an-overlay-file.329576/ , btw i need more testing more in here xD sorry if is not work for you since i new in this part too, but is seems is working for me.

I was reading through this thread, and I found out that if you decompress with CT2, you shouldn't compress with another program and expect perfect results. According to this post:

If you decompress an overlay with Crystal Tile 2, edit it, and recompress it with CT2 it doesn't work. If you decompress with CT2 and recompress with BLZ, it doesn't work. However, if you decompress and recompress with BLZ, the overlay works fine after being re-inserted. I had a set of overlays I was working with that I had decompressed with CT2, so I was getting confused when BLZ wasn't recompressing properly. Pulling them out again with dsbuff and properly decompressing them with BLZ worked perfectly. That's also probably why dsdecmp wasn't working for me.

I haven't verified what he said, there, but if that's true, it might make things easier.

I'm just posting to say that, indeed, DSBuff is fantastic and so far has been working perfectly. I always thought CT2's decompression has issues since weird things happened sometimes, I'm just not experienced enough to know what exactly was wrong. So yeah. Use DSBuff.

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry to resurrect this ancient topic, but I actually need help onto this subject. I'm planning to edit arm9.bin. Therefore, I unpacked my (working) rom using DSBuff. Then I used BLZ to decompress arm9.bin. But even without editing arm9.bin afterwards, just repacking the rom with the decompressed arm9.bin makes the rom broken (it doens't load anymore). I also tried compressing arm9.bin again using BLZ (-en option), but it also breaks the rom (in another way though, instead of being stuck on a loading screen, the screen now turns black). Could somebody help me with this? Apparently, I edited arm9.bin in the past so it's kind of weird that I can't get it working again after all those years.