Rule: Ladies First

Ha! I think this rule is funny.

When this first came, it was for girls to get thier heads cut off by the opposing castles calvalry. Looks like ladies first to do the housework or ladies first to die. Basicly that's what it was back then. But now...

Girls say Ladies first to go get water or to get to the front of the line, or any others.

What do you think?

I find it very gentlemanly of a guy to allow a woman to go first, like in opening doors for her out/into a car, or into a restaurant. That to me is so sweet, no matter who the man may be. As they say, "Ladies first, after you, m'dear"

And hey, guys. Please be respectful to us women here. (Not saying you aren't, but it's the tone that I feel...) Not all of us are snotty. =/

(All of us have our moments, but give us a break, we have reason for it! :tongue: )

Am I the only one who fails to see what the 'debate' is here?

Either way I shall randomly rant for I grow bored.

As for the origin of the phrase, as far as I knew it was due to the fact that in earlier days if women were allowed to walk behind a man they'd be able to run away so in order to keep an eye on them the phrase women first came to be. Another theory I heard was that when Moses was instructed to inform the people of Israel about the Torah, he was told to "speak to the house of Jacob, and tell the sons of Israel." Since the house of Jacob appears first in the instructions, and it refers to women, the theory follows that Moses had to speak first with the ladies.

I for one was raised as a gentleman and open doors for women and all that 'sweet' stuff. Is it sexist? To some yeah it is but I don't think it's a big deal if a woman doesn't like that sort of stuff and is 'big girl' that can take care of herself they should just voice it. Either way that ends my random rant.

P.S.

For the record I don't consider myself a gentleman just because I tend to be an ass :grog:(ass =/= refined == not a gentlemen)

The only time I heard girls using "ladies first" as an snotty excuse to be first for anything was at public school. Isn't using the rule "ladies first" simply common courtesy? I personally think that all girls should be treated with respect no matter how mean or rude they seem. Carma will just get em' late on in life.:biggrin:

The only times I've heard people say "Ladies first" were from guys trying to be funny or insulting to their friends.

Scenario:

(Two guys getting out of the back seats of a car)

Guy 1: (doesn't get out on purpose) Ladies first.

Guy 2: NO U

Guy 1: NO U

(...)

The only times I've heard people say "Ladies first" were from guys trying to be funny or insulting to their friends.

Scenario:

(Two guys getting out of the back seats of a car)

Guy 1: (doesn't get out on purpose) Ladies first.

Guy 2: NO U

Guy 1: NO U

(...)

My brother does that to me ALL the time >.>

I don't see how Ladies first is being sexist. It's more a way to be polite to them and whatnot. The custom for women to be first... well, I don't know. Different sexes have different roles. But then again, what is the debate here? Because I'm not seeing it o_O

Well, if the "Ladies First" rule implies that different genders have different preset roles, then it can in fact be seen as sexist. Even if you may argue that the roles are in the end equal, it can still be argued that the presence of gender roles in itself is sexist, or else they wouldn't exist in the first place. Some women might take it as them being seen as inferior if the male explicitly said "Ladies first" rather than the man being courteous. Or they may see it as a man taking a jab at flirting with them, which may or may not be welcome.

... I honestly haven't seen it being used at all... Besides maybe for making fun of it. Where I live, if men feel like being nice to the ladies, they simply do it without the mention of the rule.

It really depends on whether or not I particularly like the girl in question. I think the rule has a place in society, and there is no harm in practicing it in a formal setting or whenever you are trying to make an impression.

• 8 months later...
I say that the rule is only valid if the male chooses to let her be first, not if the female gets snotty about the rule.

The rule should be invalidated (temporarily) if the female says that line at all...

Which is any usage today... The only time I've seen it mentioned is if they want to be so damn lazy that they can't open the door in front of them and saying "Ladies first..." is just their way of saying "Open this door, I don't want to"...

Am I the only one who fails to see what the 'debate' is here?

Either way I shall randomly rant for I grow bored.

As for the origin of the phrase, as far as I knew it was due to the fact that in earlier days if women were allowed to walk behind a man they'd be able to run away so in order to keep an eye on them the phrase women first came to be. Another theory I heard was that when Moses was instructed to inform the people of Israel about the Torah, he was told to "speak to the house of Jacob, and tell the sons of Israel." Since the house of Jacob appears first in the instructions, and it refers to women, the theory follows that Moses had to speak first with the ladies.

I for one was raised as a gentleman and open doors for women and all that 'sweet' stuff. Is it sexist? To some yeah it is but I don't think it's a big deal if a woman doesn't like that sort of stuff and is 'big girl' that can take care of herself they should just voice it. Either way that ends my random rant.

P.S.

For the record I don't consider myself a gentleman just because I tend to be an ass :grog:(ass =/= refined == not a gentlemen)

(As for the 'debate' of this being in question, I'll change that...)

So you're saying that the problem lies at the woman's discretion?... That the man should do it on the woman's wim?...

I find it very gentlemanly of a guy to allow a woman to go first, like in opening doors for her out/into a car, or into a restaurant. That to me is so sweet, no matter who the man may be. As they say, "Ladies first, after you, m'dear"

And hey, guys. Please be respectful to us women here. (Not saying you aren't, but it's the tone that I feel...) Not all of us are snotty. =/

(All of us have our moments, but give us a break, we have reason for it! :tongue: )

I don't think you are from around where I am because I've never heard "m'dear" anywhere but on the television and, as I've said above, "Ladies first..." has only been used when women around here were demanding that their husbands, boyfriends, etc. immediately come and do a task for them... I don't think all women are so rude, and I still open doors out of common courtesy, but I think that neither "Ladies first..." or men being such wonderful gentlemen has anything to do with it... I just do it automatically, no thought attached... Even for men/couples as well... But if a woman wants to be so demanding to say "Ladies first..." and start standing in front of a door, impatiently tapping her foot, I think she can open her own damn door!...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Which is any usage today... The only time I've seen it mentioned is if they want to be so damn lazy that they can't open the door in front of them and saying "Ladies first..." is just their way of saying "Open this door, I don't want to"...

In that case, you open the door, but go in first.

Out of common courtacy for me. though somtimes it doesnt turn out the best, as i can tend to have a bit of a split personality :(

EDIT: my stupid phone...i made a mistake in the smilely, so i went back to change it, but my phone posted the first one anyway -.-

Edited by Fawful Of Ice
See the Edit

I was raised with manners so as for me saying Ladies First is just how I was raised. I open doors for anyone who is coming before or after me. I am a gentleman, but I do have two personalities and that tends to make me over due it from time to time.

You know how they say when you are a Gemini that your other personality tends to come out when you least expect it.

A lot of people now a days tends not to say Ladies First for respect or having manners, but rather use that phrase as an insult or joking around.

• 2 months later...
It's nice to treat a lady with such respect, but it shouldnt just be took upon the woman just to get ahead! We are all equal, arent we?

(We aren't truly equal, but we're getting closer...) If a woman wants to be equal, they shouldn't expect special treatment. Gentlemanship has no female equivalent. When the day comes that I find it, then we can say men and women are equal...

In that case, you open the door, but go in first.

But if they were demanding that I open it, they've push their way through (yes, they've been aggressive) and sometimes hurt themselves in the process...

I was raised with manners so as for me saying Ladies First is just how I was raised. I open doors for anyone who is coming before or after me. I am a gentleman, but I do have two personalities and that tends to make me over due it from time to time.

You know how they say when you are a Gemini that your other personality tends to come out when you least expect it.

A lot of people now a days tends not to say Ladies First for respect or having manners, but rather use that phrase as an insult or joking around.

Which is why I believe Chivalry is nothing more than a joke today... It's not used in a Gentlemanly manner by most...