Editing Sprites using Tinke

screenshot20121026at855.pngscreenshot20121102at644.pngscreenshot20121102at724.png

This guide is for people wondering how to edit certain sprites in B2/W2 like Trainer mugshots and Starter selection sprites. It also works for sprites in other DS games.

To get started, you need to download the latest version of Tinke, which can be found here.

Step 1. Open up Tinke and load the ROM you want to edit. I'll be using Pokemon Black 2 (U).

Step 2. The program will load with a directory of the ROM on the left side. Use this link to find where your sprite is located. I want to edit the mugshot of Nate, and mugshots are located in /a/2/6/7

Step 3. After you locate the narc where your sprite is, open it up using the Unpack button near the lower right corner.

screenshot20121102at755.png

Step 4. Unpacking this specific narc will reveal a bunch of bin files and a bunch of RLCN (palette) files.

Step 5. In order to view the sprite correctly, we need to select the correct palette file first. Nate's palette is near the bottom of the list at 7_72.RLCN. Select it, then press the View button, and you should get a box of 16 different colors.

Step 6. Now let's open Nate's mugshot. It's located at 7_47.bin. Unpack it, then click View, and you should see the sprite with the correct colors.

Step 7. Now you can save it to your computer as a PNG using the Export button on the lower right corner.

Step 8. Use your favorite graphics program to edit the sprite however you want. Do not resize the image and do not use more than 16 colors.

Here's an example of an edited mugshot:

747bin.png

The green background is the transparency color. Do not use this color in your actual sprite unless you want it to be transparent in the game.

Step 9. Save the sprite as a PNG and go to Tinke. Click on the Import button. If you are using different colors than the ones the sprite originally had, be sure the click the "Replace palette" option down at the Palette import options section.

Step 10. If your sprite imported correctly, Pack all the files you Unpacked, then click the Save ROM button. Wait for it to finish saving, then test out your edit using an emulator.

If everyone looks fine, then congrats, your edit was successful! With Tinke, you can edit pretty much any sprite in the game, including things like Prof. Juniper's intro sprite and even the sprites used during the credits. Sometimes you'll need to change the Offset/Width/Height of the sprite in order to view it correctly.

Sometimes you may find an image that looks like a sprite, but is actually a texture (usually ends in .BMD0). You can save these images, but I haven't figured out how to reinsert them or if that's even possible.

Anyways, hope this helps someone!

Can you put a link to where Tinke version 0.9.0 is located? I was asking because Im using 0.8.0 and I cannot find the 'replace palette option' as there is no Palette section, unless I have not looked properly. Can you assist me in this as I am stuck with my mugshot being the wrong colour.

Edit: Actually I have found Tinke 0.9.0 but I still can't find the replace palette option.

Can you put a link to where Tinke version 0.9.0 is located? I was asking because Im using 0.8.0 and I cannot find the 'replace palette option' as there is no Palette section, unless I have not looked properly. Can you assist me in this as I am stuck with my mugshot being the wrong colour.

Edit: Actually I have found Tinke 0.9.0 but I still can't find the replace palette option.

SNAG_0034.jpg

is :

SNAG_0033.jpg

anyway you not see that groupbox ? O.o

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3122097/tinke%20r148%20x64.7z is tinke 0.9 r148 64 bit if you want test newer changes of tinke. change log : http://code.google.com/p/tinke/source/detail?r=148

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Can I use this tool for every kind of file that contains sprites or pictures in general? So, for example "/a/0/1/1 - battle backgrounds", "/a/0/0/4 - sprites (pokegra)" or "/a/0/2/6 - title screen" ?

Can somebody explain me how I figure out the easiest way which palette belongs to which sprite? And are there lists, which .bin, .RGCN and .RLCN files and so on of the different graphic narc data contain which sprites/icons/pictures?

The guide discribes in step 5 and 6 that for example the palette for the protagonist's mugshot is in 7_72.RLCN and the sprite itself is in 7_47.bin.

So my question ist: how did you figure that out and how can I figure out on my own what palettes and sprites can be found at which place. Or can I look it up somewhere?

Edited by Marek
avoid double posting

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I've already changed Oshawott's sprite to Totadile, and I've been wanting to change Tepig's to Charmander and wanted to make it this custom sprite-

2cpt7wi.png

But when I open Tinke, and go to where the Tepig pic is located, I get a weird bent up version (on 0.8) that looks like this-

2dgozy8.png

And on 0.9, I get an even worse image, that I didn't export. But what's really confusing me is why it didn't do this for Snivy? Could it be because I did Snivy's in a differnet version? And could anyone explain how to do it in 0.9?

Thanks!

hey Arkeis and guys xD I have a problens trying to do similar ...

I'm translating pokemon Platinum to my language, so I need to work with some graphic part

well I found the palette, the image and the other thing(For some, for others like the trainercard I can't find o-o), exported, edited, but wen I try to inset it again it give me this message " The image has more colors than permitted. 28 unique colors! "

I'm almost sure I don't let it have more than the original but I cannot import that :B

Also if I try to import the file I extracted directly without modification, I get the same message,what I should do now?

original export and my mod, they have the exatly same amount of collors, also if I just extract and try to import it, give me the same message

I made a test with "smaller" like pokedex icon and it worked, so I have no idea what is going on x-x

And I can't find the thainer card on US rom, I looked everywere on the rom and the inetrnet but I just found some leftovers of DP in Graphic/trainer_case :B someone could helpme please?

So, would that mean that I'm looking at the wrong file to edit? If so, where would the correct one be located?Thanks!

http://projectpokemon.org/rawdb/

give a look there maybe help you to find what do you want? o-o

original export and my mod, they have the exatly same amount of collors, also if I just extract and try to import it, give me the same message

I made a test with "smaller" like pokedex icon and it worked, so I have no idea what is going on x-x

And I can't find the thainer card on US rom, I looked everywere on the rom and the inetrnet but I just found some leftovers of DP in Graphic/trainer_case :B someone could helpme please?

So, would that mean that I'm looking at the wrong file to edit? If so, where would the correct one be located?Thanks!

http://projectpokemon.org/rawdb/

give a look there maybe help you to find what do you want? o-o

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for douple posting but just to update my status: I really don't know why I had that proble but I corrected it by editing only the "messed image", not ir corrected and worked well, but now I have another problem ...

on demo/titlle/opdemo. narc there have 2 logos used on the opening, I can just replace then, with the texture, but ingame it get messed, don't read the right pallete think, and it happens even if I import exatly the same logo (that I just export), if I do it replacing the texture, tinke will re-arrange it and will be messy anyway ... how I could avoid it ?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey im new on the forum and I'm trying to do some mugshot edits to my B2 edition. The point is that I want to edit the female trainer sprites to be those of Aura/May/Haruka from Pokemon Rubi/Sapphire ... the point is that if you guys can tell me if this is possible, if so how can I do that, or even if someone can do it for me? Thanks a lot for your help