Previous plans (No longer planned)

Codr

"Yes, but are you implying that there's a limited period in which you can use PokeGen after the payment...? If not, this comparison makes no sense." - There is a limit, 5 Days. You ca say that it does not matter, that after that 5 days, we get more 5 days, and that is right, but still, there is a 5 day limit.

"...the company...? Of course it's a well-known name, and has marketing to go with it. You're not furthering your attempted point here." - That's true, and false as the same time. Big companies launched games that had never been popular, small companies launched games that have become very popular. It only depends on how good the game is, not how good the company is (if that was true, all EA or Activision games would have been good, and that is the most wrong thing that anyone can say).

"How do you know what I know? Perhaps I have more detailed usage data than you realize. Yet you're calling me naive? You're being overly presumptuous about all of this, and acting as though you're highly experienced in all of these matters. The chance of that is miniscule. I think any reasonable person would agree that my statement regarding usage is the most likely case. You're making so many assumptions about what my intentions are as well. I'm not concerned if I don't cater to every single individual here. I'm not a company worried about utter perfection in profits. I'll do what I can and make decisions as necessary." - I never said i was experienced, or something like that. What i wrote was as a PokeGen user, nothing more. But the program is yours, so do whatever you want. I just talk as a user of PokeGen, nothing more. I am well served with the current version, and i will probably only buy this new version if a new main series Pokemon Game got out (like RSE remake or new GEN V game, etc) and you provide support for it, or when the DRM has been drooped out/hacked. Until then, i will use the current version.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't like the conditions, don't pay. The five day requirement is staying for now. You haven't said anything to convince me that there's a reason not to. Yes, it will negatively affect some people. That's just how it is.

but i really hope there are other features as much as pokestock

There will be some new things.

"...the bullshit about renting is..." - What here is bullshit? Like i said, imagine that Codr decide to shut down the PokeGen server, you will be unable to use PokeGen. When buying PokeGen with this DRM, so you will pay for something that is a "infinite rent". This happen with all types of DRM, not just this. When you buy something with a DRM, it is not a BUY, it is a RENT, whenever you like it or not.

you realize that it's "rent" anyway, right? you don't own the software and the source, you own a license for software. you're renting it anyway. and if he decides to stop supporting it, the check will be removed, i'm sure. what the fuck are you even talking about? this is going absolutely nowhere.

you realize that it's "rent" anyway, right? you don't own the software and the source, you own a license for software. you're renting it anyway. and if he decides to stop supporting it, the check will be removed, i'm sure. what the fuck are you even talking about? this is going absolutely nowhere.

You are right, i do not buy the game, i buy a license. But the license that i bought for my non-DRM game (Like The Witcher) will still work in 20 years, but the licence for my DRM-protected game may not work in that time. Am i right or wrong?

Every 5 days there is a check to see if you paid (one-time) for PokeGen. Everyone agrees with this statement? Ok.

Pedro believes that if you don't verify the program after 5 days, the program will not work. Am I right, Pedro?

And, lastly, if the user does not verify after 5 days (because the server is down, because he doesn't have Internet, whatever), will PokeGen still work? Or will it lock down until the check is performed?

And, lastly, if the user does not verify after 5 days (because the server is down, because he doesn't have Internet, whatever), will PokeGen still work? Or will it lock down until the check is performed?

How often have you seen this website offline? The program will require you to re-register with the same information you used initially.

• 2 months later...

This is an update I thought might end up happening, and sure enough, it did. Things have changed for me and I no longer feel it's worthwhile to do with PokeGen what I had planned. That is, I no longer intend to charge for it.

As a result, I'm also no longer going to be updating the program. That's not saying that it's over. Mat has the source code for 3.1.10 and will be able to continue it. As far as I know, he plans on doing so. The source code will not be made public, don't ask.

I've reopened this thread, although I'm not sure what there is to say.

Aww.....that's such a pity.

I like using your program. It's good, stable, and reliable.

Well, it's your decision, though regretable, it's understandable. Good luck on your other project, and hopefully your friend-partner

Mat will pick up the bits and pieces from where you had left.

Edited by Bond697

• 2 weeks later...

Codr, thank you for all of your hard work on PokeGen and thank you for passing the torch to Mat. I'm sad that you felt the need to retire, but as you said, things change and we can certainly understand that. Congrats on setting the standard for Pokemon editors and I hope you stick around in the forums.

Just want to thank Codr for all the efforts, blood & sweat to make a beautiful program.

Its not that easy to make a program like this.

Hope if you're not busy, hope you could still continue updating this program little by little together with Mat.

I just want you to know, i may not be the most active member on this site, but the thread of your pokegen is always on my bookmark :-) always checking to see if theres an update.

Im not loosing hope that sometime, not only me, but the whole world will see a version of pokegen that will support 3rd Gen (RSE/FRLG) & the upcomming X & Y.

Again thanks Codr & also Mat.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...