Previous plans (No longer planned)

Codr

Just wish you could make the interface a little bigger thats all

That's a valid concern, assuming you actually have your Windows DPI set higher than normal. (Otherwise you can obviously see other programs just fine... so why is PokeGen an issue?) Normally your Windows DPI settings would affect the program's UI, but PokeGen uses a fixed setting. I can't see anything being done about that any time soon, unfortunately.

On your question no i don't know how to

I don't understand this, but it seems to be rather common. Select a file, then click the filename again shortly after. This same thing is used for item editing.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so you want it something like this?

lolcep.png

PokeGen is neat and compact. There are ways to scale up program sizes by either changing your resolution or by using other programs. The text size in PokeSAV is the same size as PokeGen. The UI is fine.

i dont use pokesav and i am not even comparing or mentioning it , no idea why you brought it up

That's a valid concern, assuming you actually have your Windows DPI set higher than normal. (Otherwise you can obviously see other programs just fine... so why is PokeGen an issue?) Normally your Windows DPI settings would affect the program's UI, but PokeGen uses a fixed setting. I can't see anything being done about that any time soon, unfortunately.

I don't understand this, but it seems to be rather common. Select a file, then click the filename again shortly after. This same thing is used for item editing.

that explains why its not affected by it , even with high DPI leter size remains

About the item editing never-mind that i was doing it wrong

Tabs are fine but due to me eye sight some letters are small also the pokemons on the boxes are some times difficult to identify without having to click view data (again this is only for me i am not saying its for everyone )

Just wish you could make the interface a little bigger thats all

On your question no i don't know how to

Depending on your version of windows, you may have an application called Magnifier installed. This may help with your specific needs. I know it's with Win7, not sure if it was included with Vista or earlier though. Easy way to check if you have it [at least with Win7 and Vista] is type magnifier in the Search Programs & File dialog box on the start menu.

i dont use pokesav and i am not even comparing or mentioning it , no idea why you brought it

I'm pretty sure it's because PokeSav is the only other notorious Pokemon editor out there.

Why not just take the time to open a Gen IV pkm file and set the location to (Pokétranfer)?

... I'm dumb. Thanks <3

My opinion is that Pokegen isn't nearly mature enough or versatile enough to warrant such a fee for use. Just because pokesav is lagging, charging a captive market where your app only fills the gap seems a little greedy. I dunno, my take is the app doesn't seem worth the fee for me, it'd have to be a lot more developed first and have at least twice as many features, including at least parity with pokesav.

Just because pokesav is lagging,

Pokesav isn't "lagging". It is literally not being developed or supported. All indications point to Pokesav BW being discovered by accident since it was never officially posted by COM, but someone luckyily found the link on his site somehow.

charging a captive market

Anyone else is free to make their own PKMN generation program.

I dunno, my take is the app doesn't seem worth the fee for me,

Then don't pay for it.

it'd have to be a lot more developed first and have at least twice as many features, including at least parity with pokesav.

That has already happened.

Let's go over this again. Pokesav isn't being developed anymore.

PokeGen is.

My opinion is that Pokegen isn't nearly mature enough or versatile enough to warrant such a fee for use. Just because pokesav is lagging, charging a captive market where your app only fills the gap seems a little greedy. I dunno, my take is the app doesn't seem worth the fee for me, it'd have to be a lot more developed first and have at least twice as many features, including at least parity with pokesav.

PokeGen isn't versatile enough? Ok, I'm seriously trying not to laugh at that comment. PokeGen is one simple program that can edit every main game down to Diamond/Pearl. Charging for a program that he has no obligation to update is a small price. COM stopped updating the disgrace that is PokeSav a while back so Codr is the only one who has a sufficient program that allows editing across the platforms. Like Codr said, he does this program during his free time so stop complaining about it.

PokeGen can do almost everything PokeSav can (minus trainer id editing/Gender editing), what else do you expect it to do?

Simple solution for you is to stop using it (which you will have to for b/w2) since the update which will make it more compatible, will require payment.

he would be entirely in the right to charge $20-$25 for pokegen. $6 or $7 is a steal. pokegen is vastly better than pokesav and absolutely worth every penny right now. it will be amazing once codr really gets into adding new features.

charging a captive market where your app only fills the gap seems a little greedy.

this is how business works. welcome to the real world.

I've got a question: if I'm interested in donating, should I hold off until Pokegen becomes pay-to-use so that I don't "pay" twice for a product?

It was said in earlier pages that those who had donated enough money to cover the price would be able to use PokeGen too.

[pointlessly large quote removed] -Codr

can you add some numbers in front of the pms' name? ex. 001.Bulbasaur 002.Ivysaur......687.Genesect. it just easy to know which pm is being edit and you konw...the names are too hard to remember....

Edited by Codr

I wanted to respond to earlier topics about charging for this program. I think charging $2-$5 might be reasonable if the program did a lot more. Features that I think would be an absolute must would have include:

• Edit Pokemon in Entree Forest
  • Edit the Daily Swarm Pokemon
  • Respawn ALL Intractable Pokemon
  • Edit Trainer Card (ie... Adventure Start Time, ID, Secret ID.)

I am looking at competing in official VGC events so I no longer generate Pokemon. I do like use its stats calculator for planning out EV distribution or confirm the IV's of caught Pokemon before starting to RNGing. I only have PokeSav because like most players, I prefer to maintain an Trainer Name/ID/SID between my games.

Hey Codr, just wanted to thank you profusely for making such a fantastic and useful program! Just know that you have one more person who will happily support your effort for your more than reasonable under-$10 fee! :smile:

I'd badger you with my suggestions for features, but pretty much everything I'd want has been requested. However, the one thing I would add to "stuff I would like if it's not too much trouble - man, when did I start sounding like a Canadian stereotype" is that if you were to include the features of the last release of "Pokestock" - editing entree forest, 3DS link, and Black City and White forest inhabitants - this will immediately elevate your program from "I'll most definitely donate once the next update comes out" to "Holycrapshutupandtakemymonies!!!"

Take care, and good luck!

While I appreciate Codr being there and Pokegen being constantly improved, I think that switching to non-freeware scheme will ruin the project.

The following is directed to Codr.

First of all, are you completely sure that money that you will get from Pokegen sales will give you satisfaction and encouragement? Suppose you set the price to $10 - how many users do you expect to have for this really niche product considering that there is a free alternative that does its job for 90% of people? Remember, that you don't have Google Play or Apple Appstore, you'll have to deal with all that management by yourself, which usually makes people thing if the trouble is worth it.

Second, in times of R/S/E I've got a cease/desist email from local Nintendo branch regarding publishing a tool that can be considered great-grandfather to Pokegen. Probably, someone reported me out of spite as I tended to troll people on GameFAQs back in the time, but the precedent is there. If you get into the mix of legal inconveniences, I wonder if you be motivated enough to go on and fight.

Third, in this topic you already said that your "DRM protection" will make the application depend on active internet connection and on Windows OS. This already makes using Pokegen more inconvenient than it is now. Do you know the fact that a lot of people are using pirated software and watch pirated videos because of DRM/distribution scheme being annoying? I expect someone to crack your protection soon. Are you sure that you don't want to abandon the project after this happens? It happened with me and some of my acquaintances in the past.

Finally, right now community considers you akin to deity. While you're getting nothing in return in terms of money, at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that people are grateful to you and need you. The community helps as much as it can - by sending in feature requests and bug reports. Do you expect things will stay the same after you make people pay for use?

The bottom line here is that while it is your right to find the encouragement for continuing Pokegen project by any means available, you have to consider what is really needed. If it is experience of maintaining paid application, be it. But if you want money or other form of encouragement, this is not the best way to do it, IMO.

P.S. I've donated a bit, hope that helps to see that my view is not of greedy bastard that wants everything in life to be free but rather a concern about project future and well-being.

First, let me point out that there is no emotional undertone behind any of what I'm about to say. I'm not upset, I'm not anything, I'm just responding. Don't take it as insulting or whatever.

First of all, are you completely sure that money that you will get from Pokegen sales will give you satisfaction and encouragement? Suppose you set the price to $10 - how many users do you expect to have for this really niche product considering that there is a free alternative that does its job for 90% of people? Remember, that you don't have Google Play or Apple Appstore, you'll have to deal with all that management by yourself, which usually makes people thing if the trouble is worth it.

Convenience and non-existent features elsewhere will do a lot to attract people. This is the same for any software. I do have a rough value of the number of people using PokeGen at the moment, and yes, it is sufficient to provide motivation. What exactly do you anticipate management-wise that's so dramatically different from what I already deal with? I sure don't see much.

Third, in this topic you already said that your "DRM protection" will make the application depend on active internet connection and on Windows OS. This already makes using Pokegen more inconvenient than it is now.

It won't require an internet connection every time you use it. Windows is going to be a necessity, yes, but there simply aren't many people who aren't using Windows. Those that are can dual-boot Windows, as they should already be set up to do to begin with, given how prevalent Windows software is. The amount of work it would take to create a new binary would be far beyond what I'm willing to do, especially given the percentage of users it would impact.

Do you know the fact that a lot of people are using pirated software and watch pirated videos because of DRM/distribution scheme being annoying?

I think it's more factual that they use the pirated/cracked software because they don't want to pay, not because the protection is annoying.

Finally, right now community considers you akin to deity.

Not once have I EVER thought anything like that. That sounds really childish, and isn't at all what I'm interested in. You might note that I rarely even respond when people provide positive comments.

While you're getting nothing in return in terms of money, at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that people are grateful to you and need you.

I started this project because I wanted something tailored for my own use. Now that I practically never play the games, that motivation is gone. It's been replaced with the desire to see how far I can take the program, and a sense of obligation to some degree that I need to keep doing it. I honestly can't explain that part, I just know it's there.

The community helps as much as it can - by sending in feature requests and bug reports. Do you expect things will stay the same after you make people pay for use?

There are some people who are very helpful and considerate. (I'm grateful to those of you who actually take the time to look for things on your own and who do provide bug reports/feedback, even though it's not expressed that often.) There are many more who are not. I don't even understand the last question given how it makes no sense. What software doesn't have users providing feedback, paid or not?

The bottom line here is that while it is your right to find the encouragement for continuing Pokegen project by any means available, you have to consider what is really needed. If it is experience of maintaining paid application, be it. But if you want money or other form of encouragement, this is not the best way to do it, IMO.

What other way of doing it is there?

P.S. I've donated a bit, hope that helps to see that my view is not of greedy bastard that wants everything in life to be free but rather a concern about project future and well-being.

Unlike some other posts, I actually didn't get that feeling from yours. That really wasn't necessary to prove a point, but thanks nonetheless.

What exactly do you anticipate management-wise that's so dramatically different from what I already deal with? I sure don't see much.

Managing user account registration and payments, mostly. Yes, if you accept Paypal only, you most probably will automate this. But with multiple gateways, you'll either spend a lot of effort on gateway coverage or go by manual payments confirmation route, which is time consuming as well.

User support is another question - people would expect more personal help than the forums usually provide if they have to pay, IMO.

Windows is going to be a necessity, yes, but there simply aren't many people who aren't using Windows. Those that are can dual-boot Windows, as they should already be set up to do to begin with, given how prevalent Windows software is. The amount of work it would take to create a new binary would be far beyond what I'm willing to do, especially given the percentage of users it would impact.

Those were just examples of inconveniences that users will have to cope with. The fact here is that not only people will have to pay, but their user experience will suffer. Ok, I'll dual-boot as I need the features the program provides but I'll still swear under my breath every time I have to do so.

I think it's more factual that they use the pirated/cracked software because they don't want to pay, not because the protection is annoying.

There is a company in Russia called 1C that provides accounting software. They ARE market leaders and their software is considered an industry standard. Because of their stupid DRM protection, companies buy licenses (that they show to police during random checkups), but actual software is installed straight from pirate downloads with anti-piracy checkups disabled. Think Starforce, and you'll understand what I mean.

Not once have I EVER thought anything like that. That sounds really childish, and isn't at all what I'm interested in. You might note that I rarely even respond when people provide positive comments.

Well, maybe I put it too rough, but can you really say that positive feedback doesn't motivate you at all?

I don't even understand the last question given how it makes no sense. What software doesn't have users providing feedback, paid or not?

Ok, good point.

What other way of doing it is there?

Move your download page and support forum to a website that uses ads. Make donations requests more aggressive. That's what I meant as other way. After thinking a bit on that, I concede that making users to pay for program may be the easiest scheme. At least you are not just setting a price for what already exists, but make people pay for an improved version.