Previous plans (No longer planned)

Codr

I would donate for PokeGen! But I need the following functions though:

-Batch OT info editing that will be applied to all PC Pokemon (so they can obey)

-Batch Pokemon Inserting (ex. able to drag and drop 720 .pkm files)

-Fix .sav checksum (right now, PokeGen is more like a "save recovery" other than fixing checksum)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, this would have to happen right before the US release of Black 2 and White 2. I guess means one will have to pay to be able to generate code for versions of Black 2 and White 2 other than the Japanese versions. Codr, perhaps you could one more free version that has code generation for the US and EU versions of the game.

1º As you will have control of who has paid and hasn't paid for the use of the software?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Will I have control of who can and can't use the program? Yes. (With the exception of what you said below, which I'll also comment on.) There is an explicit trust involved as a result, but the same is true of dealing with anything that you spend money on.

2º You will provide a serial code (if so, there may be fraud and people who have not paid make use of Pokegen.)

Sort of. There will be more details about how registration works when it's released. I've also considered the problems involved with people trying to bypass registration.

Are only the users who pay for the update get access to all future upgrades while the people who don't pay only get the current version?

That's correct.

but in the current version of Pokegen I noticed that some of the locations for the Pokemon Black/White2 are still in their japanese names such as floccessy twon is still Yamaji town.

There's been no update since the availablility of English Black 2/White 2 data, so yes, most names are still the Japanese ones.

-Batch OT info editing that will be applied to all PC Pokemon (so they can obey)

-Batch Pokemon Inserting (ex. able to drag and drop 720 .pkm files)

-Fix .sav checksum (right now, PokeGen is more like a "save recovery" other than fixing checksum)

Batch modification is one of the things I definitely want to do. For drag/drop, you can already do up to 30 Pokemon at a time, but it could be expanded.

Regarding checksum stuff, yes, the way it currently is isn't ideal. There needs to be new options of how to handle loading.

Also, not to sound impatient or anything, but is there an estimated date on when the paid version will be up?

I tend to be really unreliable at keeping deadlines when it comes to programming, so I'm not going to set one. Keep in mind that I'm not working on PokeGen all the time. There are plenty of days where I don't get around to doing anything with it at all.

Edit: If I had to give a lenient estimate, I'd say around a month from now.

I tend to be really unreliable at keeping deadlines when it comes to programming, so I'm not going to set one. Keep in mind that I'm not working on PokeGen all the time. There are plenty of days where I don't get around to doing anything with it at all.

Edit: If I had to give a lenient estimate, I'd say around a month from now.

Okey, thanks for your response. I look forward to the next release.

I'll happily pay for your service when it comes out. But I do think Rarity brings up a very salient point. I've overseen other projects that transition from a free to paid service, and there is a shift in the demands of the consumer base. Of course you still have control as the developer, but they will [rightfully, I should add] demand more from you. When you're taking in other people's hard earned money, you become a business. Businesses are legally required to uphold a standard that is higher than that of individuals. Anyone who has run any kind of business before, even if it's something small and freelance such as web design or an ebay store will tell you that there are significant additional hassles and holes to jump through. You are expected to deliver expedited service. In other words, this becomes a job, not a hobby. This is not to deter you from making the service, but it's a cautionary message to make sure that you're ready for the additional headache.

I think a lot of you are grossly overestimating Codr's legal liabilities here. Simply requiring payment for a product does not inherently require a person to become some kind of full-fledged business. Codr is trustworthy and I'm sure he will make good on his promises, but anybody who sends him money with the expectation of guaranteed service is a fool. Think of it as a gift if that's what it takes.

I've been using Pokegen since Gen V began and, having been a long time user of Pokesav, the progress I've seen from it is astounding. I know people might have asked this before, but if in anyway you could implement a C-Gear modifier in the paid version, I'd be all for it. I missed the Worlds 2011 C-Gear and have always wanted it since. I rather not get the flash card because I like having the physical copies of the games.

Alright.

The PayPal "Donate" button doesn't work properly for me when I'm running PokeGen with Wine in Linux, so as long as I can register it under Windows and run it under Linux later with no problems, I'll be happy. :P

Otherwise I could just boot up Windows on my laptop whenever I want to use it.

@StarFisherX: There is already an option to edit the C-Gear skin in PokeGen, if that's what you were looking for. But I don't think there's an AR code generator for that option yet.

But I would recommend getting savegame_manager, dumping your retail cart's save file and doing changes directly this way.

You've done a fantastic job with the PokeGen editor to this point, Codr and I would gladly pay a small, one-time fee to keep you working on it.

I love the potential upcoming additions you have in mind and look forward to them, but somthing that I personally would love to see is:

-A way to generate a code to edit TID and SID of the player character

so as long as I can register it under Windows and run it under Linux later with no problems

I completely forgot about this. It won't function under Wine anymore.

but somthing that I personally would love to see is:

-A way to generate a code to edit TID and SID of the player character

This is mentioned above.

I don't mind paying something... but it does depend on how much it'll be.

I also guess it'll be a log in when you start it so you know someone paid? Or would it be something else, as I'd like to still be able to use it offline if needed.