[Suggestion] Hand out more Ranks (Badges)

Kaphotics

B2W2's English release is less than a month away and forum activity is really low at the moment. When the new games come out, there'll be a surge of (new) people on the forums.

A good way to get people to stay is an incentive to post more quality topics and replies. Other forums like Smogon use badges to recognize people that go above and beyond the average lurker, and we have Ranks. Problem is, the rate that they are handed out is next to nothing compared to years ago.

Translation Contributor and Event Contributor ranks have helped keep those sections of our site active (translation is seasonal)...

Being more liberal with User Ranks would help stimulate the inactive sections of our site; the best time to stimulate is right before a boom of interest!

B2W2's English release is less than a month away and forum activity is really low at the moment. When the new games come out, there'll be a surge of (new) people on the forums.

A good way to get people to stay is an incentive to post more quality topics and replies. Other forums like Smogon use badges to recognize people that go above and beyond the average lurker, and we have Ranks. Problem is, the rate that they are handed out is next to nothing compared to years ago.

Translation Contributor and Event Contributor ranks have helped keep those sections of our site active (translation is seasonal)...

Being more liberal with User Ranks would help stimulate the inactive sections of our site; the best time to stimulate is right before a boom of interest!

another issue is there really isn't any incentive to join - basically all the information you'd come to this site for is freely available without needing to join. While withholding information unless you join isn't very fair, there should be some sort of incentive for people to join - in this case, adding badges.

I'm not really sure how to word what I'm trying to say, so I'm sorry if it doesn't make that much sense.

I wouldn't mind handing out some of the badges, but I think that is an Admin exclusive power...

EDIT: Apparently, I have admin powers. Anyone can feel free to PM me suggestions with users who contribute and I can see if there is a currently fitting rank/badge. Creation of new badges/ranks is beyond my understanding and would have to go through SCV/Alpha/Sabresite.

another issue is there really isn't any incentive to join - basically all the information you'd come to this site for is freely available without needing to join.

That would only increase the user count. While that is also a pretty cool statistic, I personally have to say that I'd prefer fewer but active people to many but inactive people. There are also a couple of bugmenot (Google it if you don't know what bugmenot is) entries as-is; they'll just increase even more if PP.org went "you can only see attachments or pictures or whatever if you register blah blah".

Therefore, I wouldn't say that's a good idea; register-for-view is very annoying and I've already made experience with that kind of mentality, it's mostly just a bother and not at all an incentive to join any discussion.

That would only increase the user count. While that is also a pretty cool statistic, I personally have to say that I'd prefer fewer but active people to many but inactive people. There are also a couple of bugmenot (Google it if you don't know what bugmenot is) entries as-is; they'll just increase even more if PP.org went "you can only see attachments or pictures or whatever if you register blah blah".

Therefore, I wouldn't say that's a good idea; register-for-view is very annoying and I've already made experience with that kind of mentality, it's mostly just a bother and not at all an incentive to join any discussion.

I didn't say it was good idea to make information member only - i was merely stating that there is little incentive for prospective members to join, since there's not really any active discussion to speak of.