DP 600-601 Full Battle! Shinji vs Satoshi/Paul vs Ash

This thread should be assumed to have spoilers. I've put my review (not summary) in spoilers, but responders probably won't/shouldn't put it in spoilers bracket. So everything past the summary = spoilers. Be warned :)

Oh, these episodes have only aired in Japan.

This contains spoilers since this episode has obviously not aired in the US as of yet. If there's enough interest in this, I might do this every week for new episodes, and maybe do episode discussions of older episodes.

Of course, anyone is welcome to do episode discussion threads, but let's see how it goes.

Japanese names tend to be used since I'm discussing the Japanese episode, but I tend to switch back and forth :\

Summary:Shinji and Satoshi have a full 6 on 6 battle, at the suggestion of Shinji's brother, Reiji. They end the first episode on even grounds, but the 2nd episode has one finishing far ahead of the other. It's a very game mechanic heavy battle, with abilities, physical/special split, and more being referenced.

Most of my response is copy/pasted from my post on SPPF.

I thought the episode was very well done and realistic. Both sides had their fair share of luck happen, which is something that makes Pokemon of the games and anime unique. That no matter what, a certain element of chance is present.

However, Reiji points out early in the battle that Shinji chose his team based on how to work against Satoshi. Not just Satoshi's Pokemon, but his style of battling. And since Satoshi didn't even consider (and no one even suggested) bringing in some of his reserves, it was immediately one sided. Anyone who expected this match to be close was, I think, deluding themselves.

Think about it: Weavile, if game = anime always, could've swept half of Satoshi's team. Staraptor, Grotle, and Gliscor would easily go down due to the huge ice weakness they share. Electabuzz learns all of the elemental punches and also could manhandle most of Satoshi's team with just those. And adding in Earthquake would take down Pikachu. And Torterra using Stone Edge was very smart of Shinji, to cover the Flying weakness that is present in Grass Types.

Because I think they're both equal trainers. But Shinji had the benefit of choosing from Pokemon both old and new, and knowing exactly what his opponent would do. Satoshi didn't. Satoshi is very good at thinking on his feet, and used that to his advantage several times, but ultimately that wouldn't help when you don't even consider changing some of your team out for other Pokemon.

That said, I'm dissapointed that Mach Punch doesn't get priority, or so it seems. That's the one unique thing about the attack, because it's relatively low base power. But it's still nice to know that Monferno is a power house, and I think we might get an Infernape eventually.

I apologize for my post, kind of. I'm still getting used to using the Japanese names for everything, so there's probably a good amount of switching between them.

As for the mini debate on what Satoshi can do, he just needs to work with his Pokemon to learn better and/or new moves. Remember when he worked with Swellow to learn Aerial Ace from what might as well have been a Move Tutor? He needs to do that with his others. Maybe he'll come across a move tutor or TM type of place soon, and get some new moves on Pokemon that desperately need them.

I don't think evolutions are absolutely necessary. But Gliscor performed quite poorly after how much improvement it got, in both the battle and at the Gym. It needs to man up or get out.

Edited by randomspot555

Ugh..I want to see this episode but I will control myself. Last time I got into an anime I watched every episode on youtube...got bored..and then I dropped it all together. Oh well...I think it will be very interesting to see it...if only ash could get some brains like paul..ugh and if only paul could be a smarter ash.

You run the discussion well randomspot555 good summary. Anyways shouldn't you actually put spoilers on it? I mean people cant help but reading if they know how to read..hehe...just a suggestion.

Ugh..I want to see this episode but I will control myself. Last time I got into an anime I watched every episode on youtube...got bored..and then I dropped it all together. Oh well...I think it will be very interesting to see it...if only ash could get some brains like paul..ugh and if only paul could be a smarter ash.

As I said in my post, or somewhere on the SPPF discussion, Paul catered his party to counter Ash, whereas Ash just used the 6 he had on him. It was one sided at the start, and anyone who thought Paul was going to lose was just deluding themselves. Realistically speaking, Ash could've gotten a BIT more lucky, but he would've lost still.

Also, a TON of abilities were activated. This might be the most game mechanics I've seen used and referenced in a half hour period. Though some screw ups were still made.

Like Pauls' Weavile using Sword Dance, then attacking with Blizzard.

You run the discussion well randomspot555 good summary. Anyways shouldn't you actually put spoilers on it? I mean people cant help but reading if they know how to read..hehe...just a suggestion.

Even though I think it should go without saying it has spoilers due to the topic title, I'll edit it into some.