A whole lot of questions here

duelistgamer

Hey guys, I'm new here. I have been going around the site and forums to find information on improving my game, getting certain pokemon that I would have otherwise not gotten and so on.

Now, it seems that there is way too much information for me to trim the fat and get the ideas clear, and occasionally I have been unable to find answers.

You guys have done some great work on the hacking software that you have been developed for these games.

Now, down to the questions shall we?

1. Can Pokegen edit save files?
  2. I have the legit (no piracy/flash card copies here)English versions of D/P/Pt/HG/SS/B/W from all over the world (US & Canada/EU/AUS & NZ/Singapore etc. Yes I travel a lot.). The english versions, irrespective or region are identical right?
  3. How can I add Wonder Cards of events that I missed to my game? I understand that I need to take a dump of the .sav file and then do it. But how do I edit the save file?
  4. Can I add foreign language Wonder Cards to English games? If yes, will that cause glitches or will the pokemon gotten through them be illegal? I do not want to do it if the pokemon will be detected as illegal. The non-English versions sometimes get some awesome stuff that the English versions do not.
  5. Is there any software that I can use to distribute wonder cards?
  6. Why do event Key Items not work when added without the mystery gift while the event pokemon work? For example, my Celebi and Pichu worked. They were created via Pokegen and the stats have been copied from the event database present in this site. Even the arceus did.
  7. If I have to insert the wonder card into my save files, how do I remove the extra copy of the event-only key items?
  8. Are there any event pokemon in G-IV and G-V games that trigger in-game events? I only know of the Celebi-Giovanni and Shiny pichu events.
  9. I have also got Pokemon Emerald (again English version), and I want to add the Mystery Gift/Event items to the game. How do I go about that? I am also looking for the other GBA pokemon games. Where can I get them (in English)?
  10. Please list all the hardware I need to purchase to do any of the modifications. I currently have a DS Lite and a DSi. I do plan to buy an SMS4 for the save file extraction. If there is a better alternative, I'm all ears. Also, I'd like to keep expenses down to a minimum. I have no plans to run homebrew applications or pirated games. All I want to do is be able to "catch 'em all" in my pokemon games.
  11. A question unrelated to modifications: Will the Hoenn triad get remakes?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and helping a newbie to enhance his pokemon games!

Please try to post in a very clear manner and if it will be a long post please separate everything into short paragraphs so as to make it easier for me to read.

Wow, a lot of questions. I'll answer more when I'm not on a smartphone.

1. Yes.

3. In pokegen, go to tools > Mystery Gift and load a .pgf file. Some can be found here http://projectpokemon.org/events/

4. You should be fine, but I'm not sure about the legality stuff.

10. Your SMS4 should be fine. Please read my thread here: http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?16601-How-to-Backup-Restore-your-retail-cartridge-save-file-(D-P-Pt-HG-SS-B-W-Nearly-any-other-DS-game)

11. I sure hope so. I read an article somewhere stating that whoever is in charge liked the 3rd Gen, but instead on saying yes or no to a remake, he left it open with a maybe.

Thank you for your response evan. I did go through your thread before posting. I just got a bit confused with the amount of information there.

I would really appreciate an answer to #2 and #7. Also, does the date the wonder card was received matter? Or can all wonder cards be received from friends in G-IV and V?

Enigma stone, liberty ticket etc. I just added them to pokemon made via pokegen and moved them into HGSS and B/W. If I add wonder cards to the save files then those key items will become 2 in number right?

Are all english versions of G-IV games also identical? I know that only platinum has a difference in the game corner.

For key items that you added via Pokégen that are obtained from wondercards, you should delete them from the save before adding the wondercard. Just to make sure. You should be able to do this via the inventory editor.

4 - The wondercards must be added to the saves that match the language. Additionally the wondercards must be added to the proper save game. Example, Toys R Us Dragonite can only be added to English D/P games (possibly only NA carts but I'm not sure on this one). They can't be from Pt/HG/SS games as the date of the event precedes the release of those games. The on-site event gallery has most of the wondercards for download, while the event database at Bulbapedia will tell you what games are valid for the wondercards if you use the year/region view (example clicking NA for 2012 displays all NA wondercards for that year).

9/10 - For GBA in-game event items they're a little bit harder. Generally they have to be activated by an AR codes, which I've found to be hit or miss. Supposedly it's possible to use a GBA emulator to use dumped E-Reader cards to activate the event but by the sounds of it you don't want to do that. Even then you would need a certain kind of GBA cheat device to extract/write the saves to the cart since you don't want to use homebrew apps. Even though you can use a DS flashcart to make dump the ROMs of the games you own. Which would be legal to keep as long as you keep the exact carts that you dumped them from IIRC.

About the first and second responses: got it. It makes sense to do it that way.

Hozu, I do not mind running Homebrew for the purpose of obtaining in-game items. When I wrote that I do not want to run homebrew I meant that I do not want to use flash carts just for the purpose of running homebrew. Basically I want to activate the events on my cartridges so that I can acquire the pokemon and complete my GBA 'dex and transfer those pokemon to gen4.

Since the japanese wonder cards are illegal in english games, should I add those pokemon as traded pokemon using ShinyGTS/Shiny2? Will I need to make any changes to the data to make the pokemon legal, or are the changes to the data done by the client card, which would automatically show the pokemon as traded ones?

EDIT: To make it clear, the way anything has to be done does not matter, as long as the pokemon are recognized as legal :)

Edited by duelistgamer

Uh, the Gallery here also states pretty clearly which games are valid for each WC. There's no need to use that awful bulbapedia site. Ours are already categorized by language, not geographic location, which is more clear for what you want anyway.