The Avatar/Signature Rating Thread

evandixon

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, so I made this for my Avatar Creation Thread sample work. I wanna know what you guys think :

SunkernAvatar.png

Naru-chu, smudging can give nice effects and it helps you blending, but be carefull that you dont use it too much. To be honest I don't like this one because the thing were the whole av is based on, sunkern, is "falling away" in the background because of the smudging.

G.

Naru-chu, smudging can give nice effects and it helps you blending, but be carefull that you dont use it too much. To be honest I don't like this one because the thing were the whole av is based on, sunkern, is "falling away" in the background because of the smudging.

G.

That is exactly what I was thinking. The way it was used doesn't seem to benefit the piece. I still think it is a nice avvie, just feel it would have been better with out or if it was used in a different way.

I use smudge in all my sigs.
And your point? What does that have to do with anything? I didn't base my score on it. I just said, I don't like the look.

Calm down you two :P

G.

That's not true. The main render of Sunkern was never smudged, only the duplicate. It fell behind because of the light ray brush. I tried messing around with stuff, but none of it helped.

EDIT *

Rate my new signature please?

DeidaraSignatureSmudge.png

I used Illithian's tutorial to make it :P Tell me what you think.

Edited by Ziz

That's not true. The main render of Sunkern was never smudged, only the duplicate. It fell behind because of the light ray brush. I tried messing around with stuff, but none of it helped.

Ok, It seemed like the whole thing was smudged to me..

Your new one is really a lot better!

I just made this one while practicing with photoshop. Please rate/critisize/give tips.

Rin.jpg

G.

Ok, It seemed like the whole thing was smudged to me..

Your new one is really a lot better!

I just made this one while practicing with photoshop. Please rate/critisize/give tips.

Rin.jpg

G.

Eh...to be honest it doesn't look so good. The main render has bad quality. It looks like it was pasted onto a grass field then you added text. Overall...3.5/10. Sorry. I think you could have spent more time and effort on it, adding nice effects and everything. But the main render is kind of unattractive, so its better if you use high quality images. Its still nice though.

Eh...to be honest it doesn't look so good. The main render has bad quality. It looks like it was pasted onto a grass field then you added text. Overall...3.5/10. Sorry. I think you could have spent more time and effort on it, adding nice effects and everything. But the main render is kind of unattractive, so its better if you use high quality images. Its still nice though.

Better be honest than give me wrong ideas about my work:wink:. Any easy tips how to blend the render more? That part always give's me most trouble. And indeed a better quality img.

G.

Better be honest than give me wrong ideas about my work:wink:. Any easy tips how to blend the render more? That part always give's me most trouble. And indeed a better quality img.

G.

Just try having the background share some colors of the main image. Like in my signature the colors match the image's so it blends in. Try to avoid having a background that's color clashes with the main image. You can also try blurring the edges of an image a bit. Whatever you do, make sure the image doesn't stick out from the picture, it makes it look bad and like its copy & pasted. Try experimenting with different tools, filters, effects, etc.

I really like the new siggy Naru-Chu. I really like the two fonts you picked and the background goes great. Also, the smudging doesn't look over done in this one, it complements it nicely. I give this one a 9/10. Only thing I could see is maybe add a border, but that is just my personal preference.

I really like the new siggy Naru-Chu. I really like the two fonts you picked and the background goes great. Also, the smudging doesn't look over done in this one, it complements it nicely. I give this one a 9/10. Only thing I could see is maybe add a border, but that is just my personal preference.

Yea...I added a stroke but I didn't do apply image so it didn't show up. Oh well, my new one has one :D

Smudging doesn't look over done? xD All of it was smudging.

His sig has a border.

Rate my new sig?

boundariesumbreonsig.png

Yea...I added a stroke but I didn't do apply image so it didn't show up. Oh well, my new one has one :D

Smudging doesn't look over done? xD All of it was smudging.

That makes me think it "didn't show up"... Like it looks like doesn't have a border to me :| Did I miss something illthain? What is your problem with everything I say? Did I pee in your orange juice or something and not remember? If you have and issue with me personality wise then why bother responding to me? Please explain it to me, because I am confused.

ANYWAY, Naru, I know there is a LOT of smudging. What I meant was instead of throwing off the image *like the sunkern one* it compliments it very nicely. Doesn't look overdone, doesn't mean hardly used. At least not from my view. Sorry to confuse you lol. Still looks great to me. Keep up the awesome siggies.

have made a new version:

Rin2.jpg

@Naru-chu: better than the first one?

@Illithian: another masterpiece!

G.

Um...yeah...sorry to say this, but it looks worse than the first one :/ Now I would give it about a 1.5/10. You can literally see blotches of color...I don't like it...

His sig has a border.

Rate my new sig?

boundariesumbreonsig.png

10/10 :P

Love it. The liquification really brought some cool effects to the background.

His sig has a border.

Rate my new sig?

boundariesumbreonsig.png

That makes me think it "didn't show up"... Like it looks like doesn't have a border to me :| Did I miss something illthain? What is your problem with everything I say? Did I pee in your orange juice or something and not remember? If you have and issue with me personality wise then why bother responding to me? Please explain it to me, because I am confused.

ANYWAY, Naru, I know there is a LOT of smudging. What I meant was instead of throwing off the image *like the sunkern one* it compliments it very nicely. Doesn't look overdone, doesn't mean hardly used. At least not from my view. Sorry to confuse you lol. Still looks great to me. Keep up the awesome siggies.

Really? Can you guys please stop? You're both wonderful artists...hate to see you guys fight.

have made a new version:

Rin2.jpg

@Naru-chu: better than the first one?

@Illithian: another masterpiece!

G.

Monochromatic colors can either work with or againts your piece. In this case it didn't help at all. If you like the idea of keeping it monochromatic, try taking all all the blotches Naru mentioned.

I'm sorry Inu, its not that I have a problem with you, its that I'm a massive perfectionist and my base instinct is to correct... everything. =|

Probably why I like RMT. And his sig HAS a border. Observe.

borderproof.png

See?

---

Gallade, simply changing the colors so the whole thing matches isn't a good answer, because it also destroyed the sig. And the original render quality issues still stand, although now they seem even worse.

I'm sorry Inu, its not that I have a problem with you, its that I'm a massive perfectionist and my base instinct is to correct... everything. =|

Probably why I like RMT. And his sig HAS a border. Observe.

borderproof.png

See?

---

Gallade, simply changing the colors so the whole thing matches isn't a good answer, because it also destroyed the sig. And the original render quality issues still stand, although now they seem even worse.

The current version of my signature has a boarder. This one, which I posted, did not :

-Image Deleted-

EDIT *

Rate please :

AriadosSpinarakSignature.png

Edited by Ziz

*sigh* Naru-chu, that version had a border as well. It was set to Soft Light I believe (as I said in my tut), but it still was a border. And it did show up.

Capture.png

Anyway, the new sig isn't bad, but its too blurred. The mix of colors look okay but certainly not enough. And theres isn't enough texture; it looks like a mix of color. If you did any liquify effect, it doesn't even show anymore. Also the renders look overly bright. Not nearly as good as your first one. =| 6/10

Naru-Chu: Frankly, it's unfocused and blurry. Great idea, but it kinda ended up looking like rainbow sherbet (editorial: I LOVE RAINBOW SHERBET!). The colours just don't mix. You've got black, yellow, purple, red, and green, some of which, when paired make nice mixes like red and yellow, but combined it looks messy. Also, you should be a little more focused with your blurs: don't take out the focal points of images such as Ariados' fangs and Spinarak's back. All in all, not your best, 5/10. Try to focus on having a set colour scheme to work with. If you're having troubles with that, try using a colour wheel as a basic reference