"Evidence" of Pokesav

Zowayix

I doubt Nintendo checks for anything that Pokesav may leave behind.

Nintendo would have to go to some extreme to check it.

Possible ways of checking:

-Nintendo having their own backup unit (This would be very obvious, them taking your physical cartrage and check it that way)

-Somehow, the game being made to transmit the ENTIRE save file wirelessly without the user's knowledge.

-The trace being so bad and obvious, that the data sent for a Pokemon is affected.

Seeing that only the 3rd one is likely, there should be no problems.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main problem is that I want to trade between my Diamond and Platinum ROMs, but I don't have a second DS, don't have the money to get one, don't know anyone who has a DS, and don't have Wi-Fi. Also, I want to have a FULLY 100% legal save file, so I don't want Pokesav traces.

Originally I used Pokesav to transfer PKM files between my two saves, but now that I found that they leave traces, I don't want to do that.

Also, I wanted to use no$gba to trade, but then I realized that it doesn't support DS to DS linking.

Right now it seems like my only solution is to restart my game (which I'm perfectly willing to do) and stop playing Pokemon until PokeMod comes out, then use that.

Another solution would be if PokeMod can fix any previously existing traces. This would be the best solution for me, since I could continue playing without worrying about traces, then fix them when PokeMod comes out.

Any other suggestions?

Zowayix, as long as the only Pokesav operations that you performed on your save files are save/load .PKM files from/to your boxes, there won't be Pokesav "traces". You could just be missing expected data like Pokédex entries or trade statistics, but both can be fixed, and they can always wait for Pokemod.

Other than that, if you edited pokemon using Pokesav, depending on its version, there could be Pokesav traces on the edited pokemon. But then you can check and fix the .PKM files, no problem with the sav file.

Kazu is correct. Also DSPokeEdit edits something (I haven't had time to find out what) which changes every Pokemon in your SAV file.

Regarding PokeMod, all features it supports, will NOT be automatically normalized by loading/saving. You will be required to actually press the menu option to auto-normalize the whole save file.

Nintendo would have to go to some extreme to check it.

Possible ways of checking:

-Nintendo having their own backup unit (This would be very obvious, them taking your physical cartrage and check it that way)

-Somehow, the game being made to transmit the ENTIRE save file wirelessly without the user's knowledge.

-The trace being so bad and obvious, that the data sent for a Pokemon is affected.

Seeing that only the 3rd one is likely, there should be no problems.

It was confirmed last year that they they have you plug your cart into some machine, and an operator runs a program that supposedly catches hacks. What exactly they check for is unknown; my guess is that it's pretty minimal though, maybe even just pokemon with illegal stats/moves.

So, if i go at this tourney with my legal pokemons (all perfectly legal) (made with pokesav and passed on game through export AR codes), which could happen ? I'm a bit worried about this, also if i think it's all ok...

Edited by Gold88

So, if i go at this tourney with my legal pokemons (all perfectly legal) (made with pokesav and passed on game throug export AR codes), which coulb be happen ? I'm a bit worried about this, also if i think it's all ok...

Seconded. I've used this method, and according to what I've read there isn't ANY flag at all by using Export to ARDS? If that's the case then I think I'm in the clear.

Here is my take on this:

I think that using game enhancers like Pokesav, DSPokeEdit, AR codes, etc is a great thing to have around. But only as enhancers for people who want to enhance their experience. For example, when I got the japanese platinum, I wanted to get to the new things quickly so I got myself a level 100 empoleon, and got through the game quickly (not being able to understand japanese also contributed to trying to get through the game quickly). I started playing my english platinum (after the cartridge sitting on my desk for three weeks) and am just past the second gym. While I dumped the rom as soon as I got the game and have been studying platinum on my computer I had not taken the time to play the game as its supposed to. My real cartridges always stay 100% legit and when I want to do something that would otherwise be impossible, I use the rom and a flashcart or emulator, but that doesn't get back to my real cart. If I ever go to a Nintendo Tournament, not likely, I will have nothing to worry about.

One thing we must all realize is that we are vastly different from Nintendo on this. Nintendo probably knows EVERYTHING about the pokemon games, in particular where everything is in the sav. If they don't, they can probably get whatever information they want from Game Freak.

Compared to Game Freak/Nintendo, we know very little. While we do have access to the ROM and all the information we want is there. Its hard for us to decipher everything. On the other hand Game Freak has the source code for the games. So for us to know what they check or what they can check would be very hard.

But the main reason why I don't want game enhancing to touch any of my carts that I might end up using in a tournament is that I think that Nintendo Tournaments are made for people who play the game how Nintendo intends the game to be played. I also think that when we buy the game we have a right to do with it as we please, (including extracting the rom, the sav, using ram editing or deciding we'd rather play the rom on our flashcart), as long as it will not intrude on other's experience. Using game enhancers and then going to a tournament is disrespectful to the people who make sacrifices to play the game as Nintendo intends and then go to their tournaments. I doubt that I will go through the breeding or soft re-setting that would be required to make the team that I would use. But if in my research I discover something that will allow me to cut my team building time and is 100% legit, then I will use that. Otherwise I will stay out of Nintendo Tournaments and stick to having fun with game enhancers and researching the game.

yea so if you gonna go out and play at tourney, go get a real game cart xD

Well, some people have their real cart but back up their save then edit then put it back in their game cart.

And don't forget the "Mold Breaker" ability.

Mold Breaker is different from the Gastro Acid move. While GA negates abilities for the round, Mold Breaker hinders abilities that prevent attacks during the execution of those attacks.

- the Absorb abilities would not absorb the damage and convert it to HP

- Motor Drive would not give Electivire a Speed stat boost

- Wonder Guard would not protect Shedinja from anything (Normal/Fighting would still not hit because it's half Ghost)

- stat droppers would pierce through Clear Body

(information courtesy of Smogon)

I think this was answered but.. Pokesav leaves 2 bytes that lead to a hacked .sav, in competitions they normaly check that and disqualify you. The .pkm file of course, just make it seem legal and it'l be fine.

I think this was answered but.. Pokesav leaves 2 bytes that lead to a hacked .sav, in competitions they normaly check that and disqualify you. The .pkm file of course, just make it seem legal and it'l be fine.

What do you mean ?

I'm a bit worried, i have all legal pokemon made with pokesav and passed on the game through AR Codes. So they come from a .pkm file of course and are all legal and fine. So what can happen if i'm going to this tourney :D ?

LoL this could make me pass the wish to create legal pokemon :(

What do you mean ?

I'm a bit worried, i have all legal pokemon made with pokesav and passed on the game through AR Codes. So they come from a .pkm file of course and are all legal and fine. So what can happen if i'm going to this tourney :D ?

LoL this could make me pass the with to create legal pokemon :(

If you are going to a tournament, get your pokemon properly, then you'll have nothing to worry about.

But since i have this doubt i wanna be sure about .pkm files (remembering my pokemon have been exported on ds through AR codes, after have made them with Pokesav ofc), even if i'll never go at a tourney :D

I'd be more happy knowing to have legal pokemon that can't create any problem (of hack checking etc.) at a tourney eheh

I'd like to have a clarification about :)

I've used PokeSav and Ciro's Pokemon maker to generate ARDS and ARMAX codes for all of my games... I once made a Jirachi that hatched from an egg in Littleroot town (randomized stats) and it didn't flag in the one tourney I was able to go to that had "hack" checking... even though it was obviously a hack. Point is, if the Pokemon LOOKS legit and you use an ARDS to get it into the system, then odds are noone will notice. Editing save files is tricky and there is always a chance of check bits and whatnot being missed... padding falling off the end of a line... etc etc. When the game makes the save file itself you usually have less problems.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Here is my take on this:

I think that using game enhancers like Pokesav, DSPokeEdit, AR codes, etc is a great thing to have around. But only as enhancers for people who want to enhance their experience. For example, when I got the japanese platinum, I wanted to get to the new things quickly so I got myself a level 100 empoleon, and got through the game quickly (not being able to understand japanese also contributed to trying to get through the game quickly). I started playing my english platinum (after the cartridge sitting on my desk for three weeks) and am just past the second gym. While I dumped the rom as soon as I got the game and have been studying platinum on my computer I had not taken the time to play the game as its supposed to. My real cartridges always stay 100% legit and when I want to do something that would otherwise be impossible, I use the rom and a flashcart or emulator, but that doesn't get back to my real cart. If I ever go to a Nintendo Tournament, not likely, I will have nothing to worry about.

One thing we must all realize is that we are vastly different from Nintendo on this. Nintendo probably knows EVERYTHING about the pokemon games, in particular where everything is in the sav. If they don't, they can probably get whatever information they want from Game Freak.

Compared to Game Freak/Nintendo, we know very little. While we do have access to the ROM and all the information we want is there. Its hard for us to decipher everything. On the other hand Game Freak has the source code for the games. So for us to know what they check or what they can check would be very hard.

But the main reason why I don't want game enhancing to touch any of my carts that I might end up using in a tournament is that I think that Nintendo Tournaments are made for people who play the game how Nintendo intends the game to be played. I also think that when we buy the game we have a right to do with it as we please, (including extracting the rom, the sav, using ram editing or deciding we'd rather play the rom on our flashcart), as long as it will not intrude on other's experience. Using game enhancers and then going to a tournament is disrespectful to the people who make sacrifices to play the game as Nintendo intends and then go to their tournaments. I doubt that I will go through the breeding or soft re-setting that would be required to make the team that I would use. But if in my research I discover something that will allow me to cut my team building time and is 100% legit, then I will use that. Otherwise I will stay out of Nintendo Tournaments and stick to having fun with game enhancers and researching the game.

I agree for the most part. I don;t get to go play in tourneys anymore, and finding out about an event to get a rare Pokemon is always a day late and a few hours short usually. I have taken the other side of the coin. I hack all of my games to have the same trainer id's from the start, use quick levelups to max my "speedrun" Pokemon quickly... box everything else. Then I use a combination of Pal Parking and Dual DS or My Ranch trading to get the entire collection over to one game where I can start breeding chains and training legitimately. I don;t create event Pokemon either... I usually Action replay in the event item or the wondercard or whatever and then physically go out and catch the Pokemon. How I got the event isn;t legit.. but the Pokemon itself is. Do this on an alternate cartridge too and then trade to a main cartridge.

I'm still fiddling with it... my first task is seeing weather having the same OT info on a Pokemon will look too screwey on an event Pokemon or raise the question of "How do you have BOTH Palkia and Dialga on your copy of diamond that say you caught both of them?"

On reflection... I think I'll just use the Dual DS and Pal Park method to trade. If all of my ID's are the same then I'll have Pokemon that look like they were caught on a game that they aren't catchable on...