"Evidence" of Pokesav

Zowayix

Gold, are you sure about that? Is it possible that there is trash data in the save file that Pokésav doesn't know about, which the game never addresses?

To be honest, after researching Pokémon DS save files for about seven months (and writing my own software to edit them), I no longer trust Pokésav's logic. :(

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've discussed a lot with Preston about this question.

I'm going to quote you the main reason to clarify your doubts.

I think explaining how the gts works will help clear things up.

Once you put a Pokemon up for trade, your game saves the following info about the Pokemon:

Species, Nickname, Happiness, and Item. The rest of your Pokemon's data is erased off your game at this point.

Example:

I have an Onyx nicknamed Rocky. His happiness is 207, and he is holding a Metal Coat.

Once I put him up for trade, my game instantly saves this data for future reference:

Onyx|Rocky|(Trash Bytes)|207|Metal Coat

The game then removes the Pokemon from your file.

All of your Pokemon's other information was sent on the GTS to one of Nintendo's Servers. Their Server now has your Pokemon.

Once you bring your Pokemon back off the gts, (Here's the key point!) Your game has to Re-Create the pkm file. Since your game remade the pkm file, it will only contain the information the game normally uses. Since the game doesn't use the extra 00's PokeSav rarely leaves behind, they won't be there when the Pokemon is Re-Created.

So the happiness has nothing to do with the traces sometimes left behind by PokeSav.

I'll also explain real quick how trading fixes things too.

When you trade Pokemon from game to game, the information is all synchronized and compact. Your game (D/P) only sends and receives the necessary information about the Pokemon, leaving the traces (if any) of PokeSav behind.

I'm not sure, but Platinum may accept the traces, (once again if any) so it would be safest to go from Platinum to D/P, and back. Since D/P won't accept the traces, it essentially "cleans" the Pokemon. Since D/P didn't record the PokeSav traces, they won't be on the Pokemon once you trade back to Platinum.

I hope this helps and it wasn't too confusing lol :)

After this, pokemon become undetectable (if it was already 1000% LEGAL) and pass the tourneys hack check too.

Btw it's your good heart and discretion to decide whether to present you with them or not :).

Ah, I see now that we were talking about two different things. I was referring to the save file as a whole, while you were talking only about a single Pokémon.

That's really interesting though. Thanks for the info!

I still don't trust Pokésav though. I figure I should have my software more or less functioning by the time HG and SS come out, so if I do any hacking that's what I'll use.

Edited by codemonkey85

Eehehe indeed you receive a new file of your pokemon after you takin' back. Btw, for the sav file it's all possible :D, like you've said. Using a cloning/fast hatch/TM/HM/Pokedex code is not a great deal. Our pkm file are fine.

I had your same doubt about the GTS transfer when, receivin' back my infernape (legal), i've seen its happiness was the same. Then i've heard about what informations the game saves and what are removed from the game ;), and then rewrite when the file is taken from the nintendo servers.

Using a cloning/fast hatch/TM/HM/Pokedex code is not a great deal. Our pkm file are fine.

I always put itens on my bag or I edit my pokemon in my own game card save file and I save after. So now Nintendo can know that I hack my save file?

Or the problem is only with pokémon, and i can trade they to solve this trash bits?

For the pokemon you can solve the problem with the method explained above and you'll be fine, if they're already legal. For the items we don't know, but you could just delete them to stay safe, and try to get the undeletable items in-game and through normal events :)

The trash bytes I was referring to are (maybe?) located in the save file, but they do not pertain to the Pokémon themselves.

What I'm saying is that the save file has not been completely mapped yet, so we don't know what everything pertains to. Furthermore, COM has proven over and over that his research (assuming he did any) is / was incomplete... I see evidence myself since:

• His program only edits the "current" save, and doesn't write the data back the way the game does, which is probably not traceable, but could be.
  • In certain rare cases, his program selects the wrong portion of the save file as the "current" one.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that his program writes values to areas of the save that the program doesn't aim to edit, but if one was rigorous enough, one could possibly spot some differences between a hacked save and an unhacked one. In fact, take a save that has never been touched by Pokésav, make a copy of it, open the copy, and without making any changes, save it. See if the two files are the same.

I think I'll try that myself.

EDIT:

For the items we don't know, but you could just delete them to stay safe

I don't think it would be as easy as just "deleting the items", if Pokésav does in fact change other values not meant to be changed (or if it does it incorrectly).

Idd, btw seems at the tourneys the item traces weren't traced. It would be more simple try to not modify them eheh :), or delete and rebuy.

I only use AR Codes on my cartridge, so i never edited an extracted from it with pokesav, guess you should tell us more about with a try ;)

Let us know about the save files. We know pkmn files are safe, for the save it's all open to discuss :)

• 3 weeks later...

don't really get your statement ..

do you mean using the codes on DS will leave the "trace"" .. something like that??

if yes , then the answer is no

whether u use DS or emulator ... if u edit your savefile using pokesav (beside editing pokemon) .. it will sure leave "trace" ^^

if you don't want to play in the tourney , then don't mind about this :trace" things ^^

to tell you the truth ...

editing pokemon using pokesav will leave you a trace in the pokemon ..

especially if you edit the "PP left" section ...

well . it can be fixed by redeposting the pokemon in the storage box

and also for sure, if you edit anything beside the pokemon datas .. it will sure leave the trace ...

and also, some of the AR code will not leave the trace .. including ... pokeradar shiny code ^^ ..

yes but will ar codes leave traces?

No. AR codes are made by Pokesav to only write the data they need to write. It doesn't have to mess with any other data at all.

So long as the data it's meant to write is legal, it will leave no traces.

For what it's worth, I can 100% confirm that a well-hacked (created from scratch with Pokesav) pokemon will pass VGC's hack checks so long as it's on a save file that hasn't been touched with AR.

Could you tell us more about the hack checking process (And if possible, the machine actually used)? How random are the checks, when are they performed, did anyone get kicked out for it and if so, do you know specifically why they got kicked out (hacked items, hacked Pokemon in their game, hacked Pokes in their registered party, etc)?

If you edit them to the proper amount, there is no difference.

still it's better to leave as "0" for the PP's left and fixing it in-game ^^

and after doing some hexing stuffs on GTS pokemon compared to the box's pokemon ..

i don't see any difference on both of them .. so

i do think that we can make legal pokemon without fixing it to the GTS =_=

the difference is only in the seal coordinate.. but if if you put it in box and take it back .. it will still be the same as the pokemon made by pokesav =_=

so it's quite worthless if you try to fix your pokemon through GTS =_=

still it's better to leave as "0" for the PP's left and fixing it in-game ^^

and after doing some hexing stuffs on GTS pokemon compared to the box's pokemon ..

i don't see any difference on both of them .. so

i do think that we can make legal pokemon without fixing it to the GTS =_=

the difference is only in the seal coordinate.. but if if you put it in box and take it back .. it will still be the same as the pokemon made by pokesav =_=

so it's quite worthless if you try to fix your pokemon through GTS =_=

That doesn't make any sense.

Firstly, if the PP is the same, it just saves time using Pokesav to do it.

Secondly, if you edit pokemon straight into storage, seal co-ordinates don't exist in the file.

Thirdly, please make more sense next time.

That doesn't make any sense.

Firstly, if the PP is the same, it just saves time using Pokesav to do it.

Secondly, if you edit pokemon straight into storage, seal co-ordinates don't exist in the file.

Thirdly, please make more sense next time.

Well, explained how to fix the pokesav traces, since the difference between a legit and a legal pokemon is only in the seal coordinates, now the question is :

why the seal coords change when a pokemon is putted and taken back off from the GTS ? Thx :)

Well, explained how to fix the pokesav traces, since the difference between a legit and a legal pokemon is only in the seal coordinates, now the question is :

why the seal coords change when a pokemon is putted and taken back off from the GTS ? Thx :)

I'm not sure why it would change.

But, what I said was if you make a pokemon in storage, there are no seal co-ordinates, leaving no traces.

I'll probably be waiting for Pokemod, to do any direct editing on my save file (at least, one that I'll uploading back to the retail cart). At the moment, I think I'll just use it to edit Pokemon from my savefile, run that savefile from my Cyclo, deposit the edited Pokemon to My Pokemon Ranch and withdraw it with my retail cart.

However, are there functions that you can do with Pokesav that won't leave traces? Primarily, all I really want to do right now is clear my game's list of received Wonder Cards. If I did that, would Pokesav leave a trace; or is it only more involved edits that cause it to do that?

However, are there functions that you can do with Pokesav that won't leave traces? Primarily, all I really want to do right now is clear my game's list of received Wonder Cards. If I did that, would Pokesav leave a trace; or is it only more involved edits that cause it to do that?

1. Use HxD and put the wonder card files using it ^^

2. Use codemonkey's program to fix the savedata checksum(for diamond/pearl) and SCV's program for platinum checksum

anyway both of the checksum fixer are in "Save Research & Development" forum